9.3

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments

Jun 012015

Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0L

The death wobble is horrible and scary! I almost wrecked 2 times. I barely got the jeep stopped before crashing into other vechicles. You have no control.

- , Howard, PA, USA

Sep 152015

Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L I6

I have replaced the whole front end of my Jeep and I still get the death wobble. New steering box, lower control arms, steering stabilzer, tie rod ends, drag end link ends, upper and lower ball joints and track bar 2 new front shocks, tires and alignment. I've been in and out of my shop that I've bought it to 4 different times. Now in the past month and have spent close to 2 grand trying to fix this problem and it's still there. I've had mechanics that have worked on Jeeps for over 20 years not know what else to do and I've just had enough and want to know what else to do.

- , Islip Terrace, NY, USA

May 252015

Grand Cherokee Limited 4.8L V8

I was driving about 70 mph down the road and there is a red light that basically separates the towns. I tapped the brakes to slow down and as soon as I did the entire front end started violently wobbling. To me shaking would be the wrong word because there was no steady motion to this. It was wobbling like the entire front end was going to come apart and split in two. I immediately pulled over and checked the tires and sway bar. I thought for sure the sway bar was about to break (if it hadn't already) or, at the very least, the tire was flat. There was absolutely no physical damage showing that would of caused the problem.

My boyfriend and I went and bought new tires for the Jeep the next day. More instances will be talked about in new complaints on this forum.

- , Bridge City, TX, USA

May 012015

Grand Cherokee

Encountering the well known "Jeep Wobble". As a Jeep Fan, this should not be happening. I have lost all faith in the Jeep Vehicles. This unbearable violent shaking should not be occurring. This is a high alert safety issue that Jeep needs to remedy IMMEDIATELY !!! This is just a fatal accident waiting to happen. It does not "fix" itself quickly even when the brakes are applied. Other vehicle parts are being ruined because of this wobble. It is impossible to properly steer your vehicle when this happens. Jeep , I've been there for you all these years. Where are you now???

- , Mont Alto, PA, USA

Oct 132014

Grand Cherokee Limited

Violent front end (death) wobble. Spent $1600 on repairs and $600 on new tires and the problem still exists. Mostly occurs after hitting a bump in the road at various speeds, as slow as 40MPH and up to interstate speeds.

I spoke to a man today with a 2001 Jeep like mine and he has the same problem and has spent hundreds in repairs without success. I can't believe the manufacturer has not had a recall. The only way to get it to stop the wobble is to pull off the road almost to a stop and reenter traffic. It happened on the interstate when I was in the high speed lane and I brought traffic to an almost complete stop.

- , Tucson, AZ, USA

Jun 152012

Grand Cherokee Lmited 4.8L

I was driving down the highway at about 60 mph when the front end of the Jeep started shaking violently. I slowed down and it stopped, but I was terrified and took it to the nearest repair shop where they replaced the track bar and some pins in the front end. About a week later, my husband was driving and it did the same thing. We took it back where they did an alignment and welded the track bar where it didn't seem to be fiting right. Not only am I out nearly $700, this is an extremely dangerous problem! It is a miracle nobody was hurt either time! We live in Utah and if this had happened in the winter with slick roads I doubt we would have been so lucky. From what I have learned since the first occurance, this is NOT an uncommon problem in Jeeps and for the safety of my family and everybody on the road I demand that Jeep address this! It is obviously a Jeep problem.

- , Salt Lake City, UT, USA