2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments

Sep 022016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While approaching a stop sign, the brake pedal was depressed but completely failed to stop the vehicle. The vehicle rolled to a stop and no warning lights were illuminated. The contact stated that the tires were corroded. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the brake line was fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 107,800.

- Nyack, NY, USA

Jul 232008

Grand Cherokee

I have to replace my rotors every 6 months to a year.and also replace the brakes why do they fail so ofen

- Trenton, FL, USA

May 142014

Grand Cherokee

Have replaced the entire rear tail lights due to the lights not illuminating when brake is pressed. The mechanic indicated he see's this all the time with the Jeep Cherokee's. there is a problem. I drove around all day not knowing I had no brake lights. This is a problem even after replacing I had to return to have it fixed again. This need to be looked at.

- Kingston, TN, USA

May 192015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at 55 mph, the brake pedal was depressed but it took a greater amount of time to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed that the master cylinder needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact was aware of NHTSA campaign number: 06E022000 (service brakes, hydraulic), but the VIN was not included. The failure mileage was 95,000. Updated 09/21/15

- Bowmansville, PA, USA

Oct 032005

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

After only 9,000 miles the rotors were so warped the car shook violently when brakes were applied. I replaced the rotors. 10,000 miles later the same thing happened again. No one would "officially" admit that the rotors and or the calipers are too small for the V8 version of the Jeep. I have replaced the rotors with aftermarket slotted and vented rotors 3 more times at a significant expense to me. The dangerous part of this is it warps quickly and causes the car to be hard to control while breaking: Not a good situation. In my opinion they should have to put a larger braking system together "larger rotors and calipers to dissipate the heat properly in the V8 version of the 2004 and probably other Grand Cherokee.

- Watchung, NJ, USA

Apr 142014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

On April 14 20014 the vehicle mentioned stalled out on my girlfriend driving down the road.she was able to start it back up.on 4-16-14 it stalled on her again while driving she was able to get it started.on the 18 it stalled in a parking lot at lunch but got it started and again in the middle of an intersection after work and had to have it towed home. We just bought it March 11 so I contacted the dealer and are supposed to speak to him on Monday. On 4-20-14 I was with her and it stalled out on her 3 times during our travels of approximately 30 miles. When this happens all power to control the vehicle safely is lost.

- Butler, PA, USA

Dec 162013

Grand Cherokee

This is horrible and I was scared. But I was driving slowly up my street and it started to race, I was trying to brake as I turned in my parking space my car was still racing and wouldn't brake and I ended up driving into my property, it seemed to accelerate as I kept braking and up the steps the car went and the car then stopped inches from my door. It was racing as I was braking and it would stop not until it hit the porch step. It was horrible, this car has never launched like a rocket. It was like it magically accelerated. I have had this car for years and keep it maintained. I see there have been recalls about this, why did I not get a card. I am glad I or anybody did not get hurt. Jeep is in shop.

- Lutherville, MD, USA

May 162013

Grand Cherokee

Both brake light lamps appeared to be blown. Plastic around the lamps are scorched and discolored to brown. The black plastic under the contacts on the larger light housing assembly have melted and dropped away lower than the contacts on the light assembly socket can reach, therefore continuity is broken and neither light will work. Plastic under the contacts is now deteriorating and cracking due to the heat of the bulb or too much current draw. This lamp is also the nighttime running lamp so it will be on constantly during the evening hours. It concerns me that the plastic around this lamp is defective and cant take the heat to the point that L/R brake light system fails. Other bulbs and sockets in use in this assy. Don't appear to be affected. Is there a fire hazard?

- Olive Branch, MS, USA

Dec 252012

Grand Cherokee

I had a collision with a deer and my airbags did not deploy! my brakes did not work, and my steering was dysfunctional!

- Metolius, OR, USA

Nov 282012

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

My Jeep brake lights are defective. When I press the brakes, the tail lights turn off and do not glow. They have been repaired multiple times without success. Can Chrysler please recall the defect"?" thanks.

- Schertz, TX, USA