1. replace/rebuild transmission, rearend & axle (1 reports)
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments

Jan 012014

Grand Cherokee Limited Straight 6

When going over a railroad track the rear end should of not ever chipped a tooth in the gear. I was not sure of the noise at the time and had no job to get looked at or fixed at this time. This was our primary car. On New Years Eve/Day at 12:01am, I was going home when the rear end broke, I barely got the car off the road! Jeep would not go period!

I had it towed when it became daylight after finding someone to tow on New Year's Day. I had it towed to a transmission place. After he looked it over, the rear end was broken, the front right axle cracked beyond repair and the transmission had to be rebuilt. My question is why is a 4x4 Jeep (in 4x4 all the time) not able to withstand going over a railroad track, when I thought Jeep's were made to go off road and the mileage (128,000) was not real high?

I have never had this Jeep off road. It should of held up a lot better than it did. Also the rear end put in, which are all used normally (could not afford a new one) has made a whining noise ever since it was put in. I wonder how long this rear end will last? I just don't understand why 4x4 Jeep's don't hold up under everyday road conditions, let along going off road. I probably won't ever buy a new Jeep again, and I have had two new Jeep's. The older model's example: 1995 Jeep Grand Cher had more quality accessories inside and outside than the 2004 Jeep Grand Cher Limited. Just FYI.

- , Thomasville, NC, USA