2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments

Feb 042016

Grand Cherokee

Received a safety recall R60nhtsa 15V-673. Called and scheduled an appointment with bergeron Jeep of metairie, la. 70001. It has been over 6 months and haven't heard back even though messages have been left.

- Metairie, LA, USA

Jun 082016

Grand Cherokee

My 2004 has recently intermittently has been shutting down while driving. I have called Jeep and asked for help with diagnosing what is wrong and they refused. I have had it checked several times by my own mechanic and after numerous repairs the problem is still happening. There is no warning, sound, or rhyme or reason when it happens and it happens in traffic. It is a very dangerous deffect, whatever, it is and since noone at Jeep seems to want to help I am filing a complaint for others who may have this same type of vehicle to beware. There was a recall on this year vehicle in 2004 brand new when the car came out on the crankshaft sensor which does cause intermittent stalling but again Jeep would not assist me to diagnose if this is the problem. It always happen while moving in traffic again without any warning. It is not so much that it stalls - the vehicle literally shuts down. Almost like its a safety issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Abington, MA, USA

May 212016

Grand Cherokee

Fca recall R60/NHTSA 15V-673 after I got the mail on May 10, I immediately called the dealer hendrick Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram at duluth ga. I was told the part would be available in one day, so I scheduled an appointment on May 14. On May 14, I got up at 8am and drove more than 30 miles for this recall service. I waited at the dealer place for more than 2 hours before they told me that the parts was not available. They told me they would call me when the part was going to be in stock within 3-5 days, however they never called me until I called them on May 20. I reschedule the second appointment with them on May 20 for 9am. I got up early and drove that far to there, and the only thing I could find after spending another 2 hours is that they told me the part they have is not the right one. I feel very frustrated about this recall service and I am doubting about the quality of the service from the fca dealer. I would not believe a dealer who should make a mistake just on ordering the recall part, would get this recall service done right.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

May 042016

Grand Cherokee

Takata recall. The advice is not to drive too much, should I let my wife drive it" my complaint is that there is no thought for the consumer. So why do we have NHTSA? could you answer that question"

- Little Meadows, PA, USA

Mar 142016

Grand Cherokee

My Jeep has many recalls and I need info to get done!

- Chester, WV, USA

Feb 152016

Grand Cherokee

Complaint is about recalls being painful and fca not seeming like it wants to perform them: R60: Parts are still not available though we got a notice labeled "important safety recall" months ago. According to our dealer parts are still not available. Apparently this is for an airbag issue but it does not seem that fca is making "every effort to obtain these parts as quickly as possible" as is stated on the recall notice. N47: I have called our local dealer a few times and they refuse to look at it saying that since we don't have an aftermarket trailer hitch that our vehicle is not eligible for any remedy for the exploding gas tanks. Is our vehicle safe to drive"?"

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Dec 012015

Transmission slipping

- Dayton, OH, USA

Sep 012015

Grand Cherokee

Receive a N47 customer care satisfaction notice (rear structural reinforcement). When I contacted customer care they told me because my Jeep did not have a trailer hitch I did not need to have it inspected and have a hitch installed. My gas tank is behind the rear axle and hangs below the bumper. I belive that something should be done I think it presents a danger in a rear end collision. I think they just want to avoid the expense.

- Ridge, NY, USA

Sep 102015

Grand Cherokee

Yes, there is Jeep recall N47 to install hitch on my 2004 Grand Cherokee. But the part that is at dealership doesnt fix my veh.. so I guess were all out of luck. As the hitch wont mount to veh, as its the wrong size.

- Oswego, NY, USA

Apr 062011

Grand Cherokee

Plastic surrounding door handles cracked. First incident was on right rear door. I assumed my child was playing roughly. Soon after a similar crack appeared in the front door on the drivers side. Next came the front passenger door and now all four door panels have cracks in the plastic surrounding the door handles. The left rear door can not be opened from the inside and the right rear door does not open consistently. I expect it to fail completely soon. While reviewing Jeep message boards I found a lot of people with 2005-2010 Jeep have experienced similar failures. My dealer, bob baker Jeep in carlsbad ca, says the doors are not covered and suggested replacing the entire panel on each door.

- Solana Beach, CA, USA

Grand Cherokee

There are two issues, one being the issue with the engine dying once the vehicle is put into a forward or reverse position from either reverse or drive position. Second is the issue of the vehicle surging forward just prior to stopping. The engine will rev up just prior to stopping and start a hard but load rumbling due to the brakes being held and the vehicle wanting to drive forward. I have an appointment with my repair shop to diagnose the issue, and it is very wearing of the possibility of this issue causing an accident.

Oct 012009

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Our 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee was rear ended at a stop light and 2 of the 3 vechicles burst into flames and burned completely. Updated 12/20/10 updated 12/27/10 updated 04/03/13

- Kingwood, TX, USA

Nov 112008

Grand Cherokee

Dashboard has a loud creaking sound coming from its underside when turning on ventilation? there is creaking from the dash seconds after shutting the engine off. There are strange numbers popping-up on the climate control display. The cold ir blows from one side of the dash even when the heat is turned on. Research has shown all 1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with electronic dual climate controls will eventually require major repair in order to cure hot air/cold air blowing from vents when they're not set to do so.

- Bellevue, NE, USA

Sep 122006

Grand Cherokee

A few weeks ago the heat went out in my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I went online and found that this is a way to common issues with Jeep. I was shown how to run a diagnostic to determine if it was the blend door and or the recirc door. For me it was both. I also saw online there are many complaints for this same thing. Jeep has done nothing to address this but sit back and charge customers to get this fixed. Living in the North and using my car for work puts myself ad my family in a bad position. Faulty part with this many complaints should spur Jeep to fix their cheap part...

- Lewis Center, OH, USA

Jul 012003

Grand Cherokee

Complaint regarding smoker's kits in 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The vehicle did not come equipped with a cigarette lighter or an ash tray so the manufacturer sent the consumer a smoker's kit. This cup was to be placed in the smaller of the two front cup holders in the console. This inadequate ashtray was awkward and dangerous to use.

- Wiley, GA, USA

Jun 012004

Grand Cherokee 4WD

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo does not have a cigarette lighter or an ash tray. The dealer told the consumer a cigarette lighter and ash tray would be mailed to him and he could install it himself. Five days later the consumer received a packaged which contained the normal lighter and a small black plastic cup with a lid for the ash tray. The cup was to be placed in the smaller of the two front cup holders. The consumer stated the ash tray was inadequate but awkward to locate and dangerous to use since it would take the drivers attention from the road.

- Wiley, GA, USA

Nov 252003

Grand Cherokee

Bought a 2004 Jeep "special addition" in June of 2003, the air conditioning button would not stay on. Took it to the shop, the part was back-ordered. It took several weeks (without air in our new Jeep during the summer) for the part to come in and be replaced. This Jeep pulls drastically to the right. Also, took this so called trail rated Jeep across a foot 1/2 deep by five foot wide creek on our place (that we drive through on a weekly basis) a piece of ice broke the metal guard piece on the front of the Jeep and the ice lodged up against the radiator in turn damaging the radiator, causing the engine to overheat. We were without our vehicle for 6 weeks because the entire engine had to be replaced. This is by far the worst experience we have ever had purchasing a new vehicle.

- North Bend, NE, USA