2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

Oct 202014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

While driving approximately 40mph my check engine light started dinging and blinking. Within a few seconds of this the engine powered down ( RPM read 0). All the electrical components stayed on (radio, lights, ect) then within 10 seconds the engine started back up. When the vehicle restarted itself the esp showed being disabled and the RPM's where higher than normal. Any acceleration/deceleration the check engine light would ding and blink. This has happened multiple times since it first occurred. I have taken it to two mechanics to be serviced. The vehicle displayed random codes at both shops.

- Hernando, MS, USA

Oct 022014

Grand Cherokee

This vehicle has quit running several times since we have owned it while drivingthe engine will just quit. We can move the shift lever in neutral and it will start back up, but this is still dangerous, especially when my wife is driving. It has happened to her 3 times now and happened to me 2 times in about last 5 years.

- Nitro, WV, USA

Sep 052011

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving various speeds, the engine stalled without warning. Also, when the brakes were applied, there was a delay before the vehicle could stop. The failures have occurred for the past three years. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system:ignition:switch); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Salem, OR, USA

Aug 162014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system). However, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time to the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Chicora, PA, USA

Jul 012014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated while driving less than 25 mph, the engine loss power and warning lights illuminated. The failure recurred several times. In addition, the contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system). However, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Silverton, OR, USA

Apr 082014

Grand Cherokee

April 2014. Stopped at a store, went to leave and battery wouldn't turn over; 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo did this a couple more times leaving me stranded (just weeks after buying it) it seemed to fix itself after my mechanic cleaned battery post and re tightened cables. A couple of days ago vehicle started acting up again. Didn't want to start and when it did it would run great and all the sudden my traction control, brake lights, engine etc... (I think most the lights that come on in dash when you first start car). Then today. I was driving at 30mph when Jeep started cutting out; lights on dash would flash; clock would reset to 12; I'm trying to stop and my brakes are very stiff; power steering extremely stiff. A lady pushed me out of the road, I put car into park. She thought I needed to be pushed further but them the car would not come out of park. After waiting for over an hour for aaa to not show, another lady offered to try and jump Jeep. Jeep started right up. I had 10 miles to drive the whole time dash lights coming off and on; steering all but freezing up and brakes too. Before I left my spot just off the road that I had been pushed to, I tried several times to start Jeep. It wouldn't start wo assistance but I noticed everytime I cranked the key the clock radio did reset to 12. I'm hoping it's the ignition recap so I can get back to a safe vehicle for me and my toddler daughter very soon.

- Skiatook, OK, USA

Sep 052012

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle sputters after filling up with gas. Lasts about 10 to 15 miles.

- Springfield, OR, USA

Apr 272014

Grand Cherokee

It has happened on several occasions now; however, the first time my truck completely shut off, I was driving ~35mph then slowed down a bit to turn and suddenly had no power. It started back up with out issue, but it was terrifying, as I was in the middle of an intersection. Most recently, I was driving with my wife and kids in the truck and a similar incident occurred. I was driving ~25 mph when the engine just shut off. Again, it started on the first attempt.

- Little Chute, WI, USA

May 252014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I bought my gd Cherokee used with 71K miles. I just had my first oil change before heading out on a camping trip for the weekend. On the return trip, I had just turned onto the highway (55 mph zone). I am 6'4" tall. The previous owner was shorter than me. The seat was in the wrong position (I now know). While switching from gas pedal to brake pedal, my knee hit the key in the ignition. The car turned off. I immediately reached for the key and turned the car back on. It lunged the way a manual transmission dose when the clutch is let out too quick. I moved my seat back away from the wheel. Now I drive it from farther back, which means I need to sit up straighter, which means my head hits the ceiling often. I have the limited edition and I love everything about it except the seat can't go down far enough for me to drive it comfortable without turning the car off which has got to be horrible for the car.

- Rochester, MI, USA

Jun 092014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at 65 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was restarted. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 122,000.

- Pataskala, OH, USA

Jan 012012

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving 25 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The driver lost control and crashed into an embankment. The driver side frontal air bag failed to deploy. The driver suffered injuries to the neck and pelvic area. Medical attention was received and a police report was filed. The manufacturer was notified and the vehicle was towed to a salvage yard. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 160,000.

- Cahokia , IL, USA

Dec 172013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

While departing philadelphia airport, entering ramp to access interstate 95, the vehicle lost all power, engine, power steering and brakes would not work. Head lights were still functioning. We physically pushed the vehicle off the highway, so other drivers and municipal bus drivers would stop screaming at us. The vehicle would not start. After calling the police and a tow truck, about 30 minutes later, the vehicle started. We had the vehicle towed to our home 100 miles away in New Jersey. The vehicle would start and remain running for about 15 minutes, then would shut down again, same issues. Several sensor codes came up on a readout but nothing has been done to the vehicle. At this point it is functioning, but we are afraid to drive the vehicle. Any help or recall info on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

- Tinton Falls, NJ, USA

Aug 062014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Driving 16 miles per hour entering in to a left turn when engine shut down, lost control of vehicle, no power steering and no brakes.

- Annapolis, MD, USA

Aug 012014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I was pulling out of my driveway onto the road. I came to a complete stop, then when I went to accelerate the engine died. I was in drive and everything just shut down. I then had to put the vehicle back into park and turn it on again. This is the second time it has died when I have been pulling out of my driveway from a stop.

- Thornville, OH, USA

Jun 122013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Engine stalls when coming to a stop. This stalling at a stop only happens a few minutes into driving and disappears after about 1/2 hr of driving. The stall can be prevented by pushing the (automatic) transmission into neutral. (I.e. this looks to be a transmission control problem, not an engine idle problem). Jeep dealer had car for two days and was able to reproduce stall but could not find cause and fix the problem. There is no check-engine light on.

- Camarillo, CA, USA

May 012008

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I saw the news this morning that Chrysler Jeep has admitted to a defect where the Jeep Cherokee (2005) turns off unexpectedly and there are issues with the airbag. My Jeep has turned off/stalled soon after I have started driving it on a number of occasions. It sort of stalls with no power going to the engine and then a few seconds later kicks in and moves. This usually happens right after I pull out of a parking space or pull away from the curb to start driving in a lane of traffic. I have brought the car in and discussed the problem a couple times and been told there is no problem. As a separate or related issue, during one of my first services at a Jeep dealership when I left the dealership warning lights turned on -- I went back to have the issue addressed and was finally told on the fourth visit that there was a faulty software upgrade and not to worry unless a light went on and stayed on (I didn't have time to pursue the issue and I got no where with the dealership). More recently it has been the airbag light that goes on and off (if is now off). Finally, I went to the Chrysler website this morning and entered my VIN and was told there was no recall or notices. I hope that the NHTSA requires Chrysler to address this issue and/or it is addressed through a class action.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Jun 122013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the engine warning light illuminated and the rpms decreased. The vehicle jerked and then suddenly stalled. The vehicle was able to restart. The failure was intermittent. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 52,000.

- Radcliff, KY, USA

Jun 182014

Grand Cherokee

While driving the lights on the instrument cluster, radio, ac and lights shut off as well as loss of power steering and engine shut off. Including the brakes, accelerator, and all electrical system. Leaving me with absolute no control over the vehicle. I noticed the ignition key had slipped into the forward off position while the vehicle was in motion, creating a deadly hazard as it results in loss of all functionality of the vehicle. When I tried to restart the vehicle, my vehicle will not start up right away has to turn the key couple of times to get my vehicle started.

- Temple City , CA, USA

Jun 242014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

In route to open gym for my 3yr old, after exiting expressway in traffic approx 5-7mins, SUV shuts off. After it shut off it would nt start for approx 4 mins, it did not fully crank yet cranked, in a putting pattern, I was able to pull it out of traffic into an office park located at 3525 piedmont rd ne atl, ga 30308 in front of building 7 entering from piedmont rd. Once parked, my temp gauge was on hot panned hard right, the SUV would not start, I allowed it to cool down to halfway, during that time I made 4 attempts to start the SUV. Each time it would putter, or sound as if it was out of gas. Once SUV cooled to half I attempted to start and it started in the same putter fashion as before, yet appearing to catch as if it was start normal, all the while smoking out the back a slight pop could be heard coming from underneath the front of the vehicle, yet as it appeared to start I would give it gas with hopes that it would catch and then it just shut off and started smoking and there was a noticeably different odor that my 3 yr old and I smelled, from there I got out of the truck to see if the smoke was coming from the radiator, since the temp gauge was just on hot, I notice there was a fire burning in the lower back of the engine region, I immediately lowered the hood due to not having anything to prop it open with, I immediately got my 3 yr old son out of the vehicle to safety, I return to get his car seat and anything to hopefully salvage, I then return to the SUV to put out the fire out as best I could, I appeared to out on both sides and just smoking badly. Called a ride to take me and my 3yr old home. The following day I checked the SUV, the engine area, hood, front windshield had completely burned, there is no hood area, the hood is in the windshield, and everything else forward chard and melted, to the yellow pieces, I was able to take photos, and a video.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

May 072014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

As I was trying to stop at a stop sign and pressing the brake, the engine revved up and I kept pressing harder, but did not ever come to a complete stop.

- Castle Rock, WA, USA