2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

May 052015

Grand Cherokee

I had just pulled onto a 4 lane highway when the RPM's started racing but the Jeep did not accelerate it instead loss all power. I coasted to the side of the highway and just the Jeep off and restarted it and called the service garage the next morning and they said it sounded like the security system had shut down the Jeep. It has since did that at least 10 more times and so far every time it has been as soon as I pull out, what will happen if I am travelling at 75 mph and it loses power on a crowded freeway. I recently learned there was a recall on it but the parts are not available until September. Recall number 14V-438.and I no way believe that it is caused by my knee hitting the ignition switch, that is not even possible.

- Holden, WV, USA

Jun 012015

Grand Cherokee

Bri was driving down the road in the vehicle cut off I pulled in to a parking space in fort payne Alabama try to crank it again it would not crank and it done it before but it will crank back up first time they said the software second time they said it was the thermostat now they say it's the key and I can't get one because it's on backorder and they said it would take a year and its been in there for 2 month and we need a vehicle or we won't have a job we are hitching rides with people

- Fort Payne, AL, USA

Feb 142014

Grand Cherokee

My husband and I were traveling to charleston, SC on I-26 to have a nice valentine's weekend. Everything was fine until we merged onto I-26 in columbia, SC, when we felt a small jolt in the truck like it was hesitating or something. So we dismissed it as maybe bad gas or something. It happened a couple more times and as we were passing a rest area outside of orangeburg, SC in the left lane going with the flow of traffic at about 80 mph, the whole truck just shut down. No power steering and the car will not crank in neutral. Traffic is pretty heavy on a holiday weekend, and I have tractor trailer beside me and behind me on a two lane interstate. Trying not to panic, I put on the hazard lights and waving out the window like crazy trying to get these truck driver's attention, thank god they noticed and the one beside me sped up and my husband was able to get over by the exit of the rest area. After thanking god for our lives, we decided to try and make it to a dealership in orangeburg. We get there, and after 2 hours they say it was the throttle body and a tune up $300 bucks and another 2 hours we finally got on our way. We made it to charleston and salvaged a pretty good day trip considering what we went through, with no problems. It jolted once on the way back about 40 miles from home. So the next day I remembered we had gotten a letter from Chrysler, and when we looked at it we realized that the recall was the real problem. This letter came in September of 2013, and we have not heard anything from them since then, almost 2 years later. Also, you would think that a Jeep dealer would know about recalls on all of the vehicles they sell when they put the VIN in the system. Now we just use the one key, stay close to the right lane and hope for the best. Another car/payments is not an option.

- Rock Hill, SC, USA

Sep 172014

Grand Cherokee

I was driving at highway speed when I accidently touched the key in the ignition switch. The engine died and I coasted to the roadside where I restarted the engine. I had received the recall notice sent by Chrysler and had followed the directions contained in the notice, so notified them of the incident. About a month later the same thing occurred but this time I did not touch the key. This time it happened while I was stopped at an intersection and started to accelerate into a turn. The vehicle had just began to move when it died. I restarted the vehicle and completed the trip. I again notified Chrysler who directed me to have the switch replaced immediately. The dealer that I was using told me the old model replacement switch was not in stock and unavailable as the new parts had not been produced and he would not attempt to find a replacement. I located a dealer who ordered the old designed part from Chrysler stock and replaced it for me. They also instructed me to return when the new parts are available as the work did not satisfy the recall notice. I contacted Chrysler some time back to see when newly designed parts would be available and they still had not received them. They also said they had no time frame for the replacement parts. This is the one year anniversary of the problem without resolution, far too long.

- Sulphur, OK, USA

Sep 152014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. When the key was turned to the on position, the engine failed to start. The vehicle was towed to a dealer, but the failure could not be duplicated. The failure recurred multiple times. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the parts for repair were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 98,000.

- Waverly, OH, USA

May 222015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. While driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle shut off. The vehicle was able to restart. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Pine Isled, NY, USA

Sep 302014

Grand Cherokee

I received an 'important safety recall' (P41) in September 2014. The notice indicated that the necessary part was not available and I would receive notice when it was. I have not yet received that notice. I tried calling and was told to hold to speack with a rep - I have held for a very very long time and no one answers. If this is a safety issue, I need it taken care of immediatly. My grandchildren will be in that car this summer and I must insist that they be safe. Please advise when the necessary part will be available. Thank you, carolyn harrison

- Oakland, NJ, USA

Aug 012009

Grand Cherokee

Since the first event the vehicle has stalled at the most importuned time. Two years ago it stalled twice while entering the New Jersey garden state parkway on the same day. A year ago it stalled at 40 miles per hour traveling North on university blvd 100 ft from the dealer kelly Jeep dealership were the vehicle was purchased. I was made aware in July 2014 that there was an ignition key problem. By a local auto body repair shop owner. I remove everything from key except a small lightweight identification plastic tag a month ago it stalled again which turning onto high speed four lange expressway. I have contact a different dealer three months go and was told Chrysler is working on the problem. This is a very dangerous situation. I can't believe that in almost a year Chrysler still appears to have not inkling of owh to solve the problem prior to the public announcement in Sept 2014 I had it to the dealer and was required to have vehicle tested by the analyzer. No problem was found. Even though I am 90 years old I still have sufficient strength to get the vehicle to a stop and if possible to the side of the highway in order to restart it. But I am afraid that if this happens with my wife while driving she will not be have sufficient strength to steer of brake the vehicle when it losses complete power. How is this any different than the accidently operation of the ignition key event that has occurred with general motor products. Last we I received a recall notice from Chrysler regarding the need to re-program the final drive control module (fdcm), that may cause the service $wd light to be activated making it impossible to change gears. I do not see that listed as a recall and I have never received any other notice. His apparently has a higher priority at Chrysler than the ignition key issue. Regards,

- Moon Twp, PA, USA

Jun 022015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving 20 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning and failed to restart. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 127,000.

- Hillsdale, IL, USA

Apr 012014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle stalled. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred when the key was encountered while in drive. The vehicle was restarted and resumed to normal. The contact also stated that the part for NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system) was N ot available. The part was not available since April of 2014. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Hirrisonville, MO, USA

Oct 252014

Grand Cherokee

I own a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I received a recall on a part in July of 2014. It is now April 2015. There is still no part to replace this igintion switch problem. I have children that I need to drive to and from school. This vehicle is not safe. My husband has seen now at least 3 vehicles (same make, model and year) in car accidents. These car were completely totaled. There is no fixing them. One vehicle a car blew up because the igintion switch. This is ridiculous. Almost a year now, and there is still not part to fix this problem. And I can't sell my vehicle to anybody because then I could be sued because of the ignition switch recall. Your Jeep dealerships will not buy them back for what they are worth because of the ignition switch recall. I get below value offers. I will not buy Jeep again. But the fact that Jeep is taking so long to fix this issue is ridiculous. When people start dying because of it, then you will be sued for those deaths because that ignition switch recall was not fixed in a decent amount of time. I figured 6 months max. Its now almost a year and again still no replacement part. I'm disgusted at the fact that nothing is being done about this. No one seems to care or realize the potential danger this ignition switch causes. I wouldn't wish this upon anyone but it may happen to you just so you open up your eyes and realize what is really going on.

- Evergreen Park, IL, USA

Feb 192015

Grand Cherokee

While driving 60 on the highway, I suddenly had no acceleration. The check engine light did not come on, the dash lights stayed the same as while driving. I pulled over to the side of the road, put it in park, turned the key off, then started it on the first try. It then drove fine. A week and a half later, 3-3-2015, I'm sitting at a stop light, the light turns green, I accelerate, the Jeep starts to move forward, then again, loses all power. I pull over, try to start the Jeep, it won't start. I immediately try again, it won't start. I wait about 20 seconds, try again, it starts. Drove fine the rest of the night. Both times I was on the highway in 4-6 lanes of traffic! one of these times I won't be as lucky as I have been! this is only a few of the ongoing problems I have had with this Jeep. You can check with the manager of the service department at lee Chrysler Dodge Jeep in fort walton beach to find out what part they replaced about 6 months ago that I had to pay for, that I strongly believe should have been covered by one of your many recalls. I really hope you plan to recompensate us for all the trouble this has caused us. Obviously I need to be rid of this Jeep before it gets me killed.

- Fort Walton Beach, FL, USA

Nov 272013

Grand Cherokee

Normal driving conditions on road and Jeep totally dies, no power at all, this has happened twice. Two other instances the Jeep loses power and slows down on the highway and in heavy traffic. I have contacted my Jeep dealer more than once, with no satisfaction.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Feb 062015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving 70 mph, the vehicle turned off while in the drive position. The vehicle was shifted into neutral and restarted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The dealer stated that the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact also received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 47,000. Updated 04/06/15

- Rockville, MD, USA

Jun 012011

Grand Cherokee

Engine started stalling while coasting to stops and would occasionally stall while stopped. In time with higher milage the engine started stalling at highway speeds also. No prior warning or dash warning lights would warn ahead of stall. Eventually with higher millage check engine light occasionally would come on while driving but wouldn't cause stalling problem. At 95,000 miles had dealer flash PCM per tsb 18-004-08 for code P0430, power flushed and cleaned engine fuel injection system. Removed and cleaned throttle body on intake manifold and ensured proper minimum air flow settings, flushed combustion chamber to remove carbon deposits. Tsb 18-004-08 resolved check engine light from coming on but still have stalling at idle or highway driving. Engine performs as always with no prior warnings before stalls.

- Green Springs, OH, USA

Feb 022015

Grand Cherokee

Car consistently stalls when coming to a complete stop or idling.

- Lititz, PA, USA

Aug 202014

Grand Cherokee

2007 Jeep grand cheokee Laredo engine stalled out while trying to accelerate when red light turned green. Loss of engine power, power steering and loss of braking. Received a recall (# P41) for a faulty ignition switch in September 2014 for this problem. Engine has been cutting off intermittently since August 2014 while either trying to accelerate from a dead stop or while trying to make a turn. Chrysler said to remove any objects from key ring which we have done and the problem persists. We are afraid to drive this car at all. We have been to several Jeep dealership mechanics and they say that the problem does not show up on their diagnostic testing so they cannot fix anything until Chrysler sends new parts for the recall. Have tried to speak with Chrysler personnel and am always put on hold for 2 hours at a time!! is Chrysler waiting for a tragedy to occur before dispatching the parts to fix this recall??

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Aug 012014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the check engine warning light illuminated repeatedly. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system) exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The dealer stated that the part was not available. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 82,000. Updated 5/11/15 updated 05/14/15

- Des Moines, WA, USA

Jan 252015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 5 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact restarted the vehicle and was able to drive home. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system) however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- South West Smyrna, GA, USA

Jan 192015

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle will shut down without warning. This happens when vehicle is idling or at speed -any speed. The engine will shut down, steering locks up and brakes shut off. Secondary systems like radio and fans will continue to operate but there is otherwise no power. This problem has been occurring on and off for two years. Dealer and mechanic both could not find solution to the problem; however, an electromagnetic field from distributor/spark plugs theorized as the culprit. Adding shielding to the PCM computer cables and grounding it seems to have mitigated the issue, however it is still sporadic and has caused near miss accidents with pedestrians, motorists and stationary objects while making turns.

- Albany, NY, USA