2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Aug 052016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V4380000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. While driving 50 mph, the vehicle stalled and all of the warning indicators flashed on the instrument panel. The contact pulled the vehicle over to the median. The vehicle was able to restart after various attempts. The failure recurred. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the engine failed and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 130,000. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Lynnwood, WA, USA

Aug 182016

Grand Cherokee

Soon after the P41 ignition switch recall, while driving 1 mile, the instrument cluster gauges stopped working-speedo, gas, etc, all warning lights illuminated. Information messages in the ic noted "service required : and transmission -over the temperature allowed U1403, U1411, U110E, U110F and others all implausible signals to ic. While driving transmission an road speed decreased immediately while at speed and engine and transmission to not operate in a predictably safe operation. These are the symptoms that the recall was to repair. What is the next step?

- Burlington, WI, USA

Oct 072015

Grand Cherokee

I own a 07 Grand Cherokee with a 5.7L V8 hemi. I loved that truck and took great care of it. Nearly 10 months ago I had a valve seat drop without warning at 92K miles and now I need a new engine. There were no warning signs leading up to the failure and I kept very good care of the vehicle. After driving for 15 minutes I stopped at a store to get materials, when I returned and tried to start the vehicle, the engine wouldn't turn over. It hasn't started since that day. It was towed to a Chrysler dealership and $150 later they let me know what they "thought" the issue was, but I was still informed the only way to confirm I needed a new engine was to charge me $1,500 to take the engine apart and "diagnose" the issue, not fix it. They knew what the issue was and still tried to charge me for it. On top of that every Chrysler representative and maintenance person I've talked to about this issue (4) have been completely unhelpful, to the point of being rude. After having the vehicle towed to an independent service center, I was quoted nearly $8,000 for a new engine and they can't even guarantee the issue won't occur again since they have the same parts. I simply can't afford that amount of work, so now I'm just making payments on a dead truck that's of no use to me. Fca is a joke of a company, and they need to make this right.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Nov 092011

Grand Cherokee

The trans struggles to shift through every gear and wont shift past 3rd gear, sometimes even stalling me in traffic. Feels like it doesn't catch the next gear when accelerating. There have been times when I've been stopped at a light at an intersection and when I go to accelerate, the engine will just rev as if it's in neutral, but it's not. Therefore, the acceleration is very weak. When switching from park to drive, it either doesn't fully click into drive or it selects all gears (prnd) in which I then have to park the car and shut it off, then retry a minute later. I don't drive the vehicle as a manual so there should be no reason for it to stall, but I'm pretty sure the issue stems from the main computer in the shifter module. At times, it seems like the vehicle is expecting me to shift it from gear to gear, then it finally clicks and moves to the next gear on its own.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Sep 032014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the service engine soon warning indicator illuminated. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the dealer refused to schedule an appointment for two weeks due to the volume of repairs that needed to be performed. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was approximately 148,000. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Walled Lake, MI, USA

Jun 182016

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle has had the ignition recall done. In the hot weather, you can't run the air conditioning as the car will indiscriminately stall when you come to either a stop light or a yield. Car has to be put in park and restarted. Last week, when merging onto a highway, rpms went all the way down. Had to floor the car to get going and it knocked very hard. Had Jeep dealer look at this several times and they keep saying there's nothing wrong with the car. There is a problem here that Jeep is not addressing. They don't want to give a fair buy back price on the car, knowing we have a 19 year old driving the vehicle. Our local mechanic has said this is a very unsafe car and he wouldn't put his family in it. Jeep dealers don't want to face the problem or address it. This has been an issue for over a year, but becomes more apparent in summer months of hot weather.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jun 222014

Grand Cherokee

The diesel engine Jeep put in Grand Cherokee, the 3.0 litre Mercedes-Benz engine, has a "swirl valve" problem and has since it turned 75,000 miles. It causes the car to not accelerate properly and is very dangerous when pulling out into traffic and going up hills. It also makes the gas mileage to plummet. Repairs were told to me by the dealer to be $5,800. We cannot afford to repair this car. The dealer told us the engine would go 300,000 miles, no problem.

- Lake Forest Park, WA, USA

May 272016

Grand Cherokee

Took in Jan '15 for recalls - they only fixed 1 of the 3 (I had made an appt for all) in Dec '15 it kept leaving me stranded as the recalls had not been fixed. They finally fiixed the other 2 (service 4 wheel drive and ignition switch. I called 3 weeks ago as it kept saying "service 4 wheel drive" and several times shifted itself into 4 wheel low. Now it won't start and is stuck again. Less than 60,000 miles and it is worthless.

- Lemoyne, PA, USA

May 012016

Grand Cherokee

I was driving on county road about 45 mph battery light came on then ABS light then message service anti lock brake system, engine and brake light they stayed on till I got home there was also a very low humming noise when I turned off car it would not start again. In morning it started I turned it off and it will not start again. Battery and engine light on. 11/19/15 recalls for ignition switch, and reprogram final drive controller module were performed.

- Hyde Park, NY, USA

Jan 232016

Grand Cherokee

One Saturday night I needed to run to the grocery store. When I got back into my car, it wouldn't start. It was obviously not a battery problem because there was a terrible tapping noise and vibration coming from the engine. After speaking with a mechanic about the car, I was told it is probably a dropped valve seat. Now, I am looking at over $4000 to swap an engine that was never hot-rodded or abused. After a simple search online, I find that this is a very common issue for the 5.7L hemi engines. So much so that I have no idea why there isn't a recall or class action suit.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Mar 152016

Grand Cherokee

The following events happened over a period of 2 weeks. When in motion on highway, instrument panel lost power, then came back on and all control panel lights lit up, then went off. While in motion on highway, instrument panel went blank--cycled on and off several times then returned to normal. When engine was off, ignition was off and key was out of ignition, lights were turned off, headlights turned on and off twice for no reason. While driving on highway on slight incline, engine lost power for a few seconds then returned to normal. Vehicle has been to a certified Jeep repair shop and they could not find the problem. (see attached)

- Milford, IA, USA

Mar 122016

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle has been to dealership four times for the same problem. After driving longer than 10-15 minutes turning the Jeep off and trying to restart within 5-10 minutes it won't start. Let it sit for minimum of 20 minutes will start. The relays get very warm but after cooling, the car starts. Dealership has zinged us for a new starter, it didn't need, a new PCM, it didn't need. Testing my own theory 3 consecutive times in one day, drove the vehicle at least 30 minutes. Turned off and attempted to restart (as you would a quick trip to the store) and nothing but waiting each time, car starts after cooling. Picked up the Jeep two days ago from dealership who had it 18 days trying to fix it (3rd time)and the first trip that day resulted in another occurrence of the same problem.

- East Liverpool, OH, USA

Mar 112016

Grand Cherokee

The vehicle stalls a various speeds, but typically while driving at highway speeds. My daily commute is about 32 miles each way and I typically experience the vehicle shutting off once per day. When the vehicle does stall I have been able to place the vehicle in neutral, turn the ignition off, then restart by turning the ignition back on and putting the vehicle back in drive. I did have the vehicle serviced for recall P41 / NHTSA 14V-438 which was to resolve issues with loss of power during driving but no significant changes have been noticed since the repair. This issue has been occurring for about the last three years with increasing frequency. It has been taken in for repair multiple times, beside the recall repair, while under warranty but never fixed. This issue is a major safety concern for myself and family as there are times when the vehicle stalls while entering onto the highway or during highway travel. When the vehicle stalls it looses power steering so control and speed put ourselves and others at danger. The date and mileage mentioned below is the last time the stall occurred and not reflective of all the occurrences when the vehicle stalled.

- Apple Valley, MN, USA

Feb 012016

Grand Cherokee

My Jeep has been recalled due to possible ignition switch failure. I have called every "Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge" dealership around me and all dealerships have a waiting list of a minimum of 2-3 months for parts to be in to fix this problem. Because my safety is in jeopardy I feel that it's a bit unreasonable for me (and the other people on the list) to wait for months for this problem to be fixed.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Jan 252016

Grand Cherokee

Ignition recall repairs made. Engine still stalls suddenly and without warning, while driving or stopped. After putting car in neutral or park, have to remove key and reinsert it to start engine. No power brakes, power steering, or air bag functionality when this occurs. Engine does not always start right away, leaving me stranded in the middle of traffic lanes or intersections. Serious hazard. Have taken it to the dealership again and no diagnosis. To attempt diagnosis now at dealership, am charged $130. If no diagnosis made, then I have to pay the charges. This is an untenable situation for which the Jeep manufacturer is not willing to assist - I have emailed Chrysler about this. To get rid of the car, I would have to trade it in at a dealership since it is not sellable privately due to this problem. The car stalls in motion or at rest and has quit on city streets and freeways - very dangerous!!! so far I have been lucky and have not had an accident. It has quit while in turns and when going straight. It is more likely to occur when the car is cold or the ambient temperature is cold. One day it stalled 5 times.

- Coto De Caza, CA, USA

May 212015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owned a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving approximately 15 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning and crashed into an embankment. A police report was filed and there were no injuries sustained. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was destroyed. The VIN and failure mileage were unknown. Updated 04/08/16

- Monterey Park, CA, USA

Jul 012015

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle will stall while idling or decelerating. Jeep must be put into park or neutral and ignition completely turned off and back on for car engine to turn over. Vehicle also has stalled while driving at approximately 35 mph, also needing to be restarted to resume function. The engine light will remain on half of the time once the vehicle has stalled and been restarted. The vehicle stalls anywhere from once to a dozen times a day while driving and it occurs more in the cold weather. This vehicle has been taken to the dealership twice regarding the issue, and has different codes with each visit for things that need to be repaired. This vehicle is a large safety hazard.

- Hershey, PA, USA

Dec 272015

Grand Cherokee

While in motion, 60 mph, the engine stops. Highway driving. I coasted to a stop and restarted the engine. Very scary occurrence!

- Parker, CO, USA

Jun 152008

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at various speeds, the contact noticed fumes entering the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the firewall of the vehicle was burned. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000. The VIN was not available.

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Jan 012009

Grand Cherokee

I have received a recall notice over a year ago from Fiat Chrysler. I have had the vehicle turn off due to the ignition switch multiple times. Both my husband and my son were driving the car at the time. The engine stopped, the power steering did not work, it was on the highway and on a country curvy road. I do not feel I can sell this car to someone else who might potentially wreck due to this issue. I am still being told the parts are not available to fix this vehicle.

- Columbus, IN, USA