2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 152016

• 1,500,000 miles

I had the recalled ignition switch put in in may and it was shaking when I picked it up, then I would lose electrical power to the radio, now it stalled and will not start, looks like the block is cracked. I have only had this for 3 years and paid $16,000 for it obviously it was an internal issue.

- Ishpeming, MI, USA

Apr 052016

Grand Cherokee

La clÉ de DÉmarrage avait ÉTÉ endommagÉ nous avons remplacer cette clÉ en commandant une avec son immobiliser (clÉ aspirante) nous avons installÉ la nouvelle clÉ avec son immobiliser maintenant le tableau de bord S'allume mais la voiture ne DÉmarre pas et la led de L'antidÉmarrage clignote nous avons essayer de reprogrammer rien ne DÉmarre mais nous avons diagnostique avec la machine nous avons vu ceci clÉ invalide avec ce code de DÉfaut B1A25 et sur le tableau de bord nous avons clÉ invalide et nous avons un autre code D¿erreur B1A6C qui dit discordance clÉ secrete le VÉhicule Était chez le propriÉtaire cet a dire mon client quel autre moyen vous proposer pour essayer de DÉmarrer ce vehicule ? merci D'avance

- Yaounde, GA, USA

May 092016

Grand Cherokee

Chrysler will not repair my faulty ignition switch despite it being recalled.

- Plano, TX, USA

Mar 102016

Grand Cherokee

My SUV was parked in my driveway. I opened the liftgate and slightly leaned in to look for an item. The passenger side strut then forcibly expelled, what appeared to be, a whiteish gas/liquid mixture. The liftgate immediately came right down, hitting me in the top of the head very hard.

- Lake Orion, MI, USA

Dec 282015

Grand Cherokee

I get 3 lights on, engine, esp/bas and traction lights, dealer states it needs the tipm replace and is charging me to replace it but this is a problem that Chrysler knows about it from other cars but I do not have a recall for my car to replace this part

- Hollywood, FL, USA

Sep 152015

Grand Cherokee

The blend door on the drivers side has stopped working. So my vents on the driver side only blows cold air. The gear that slides into the blend door and hooks to the actuator has broken.. the Jeep dealership that I went to says that they do not have these parts anymore, so I can not fix this issue.

- Stevennsville, MD, USA

Aug 142014

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle had issue resolved by recall P57 where key fob would stick in ignition between off and on. The key first got stuck in the ignition on 8/14/14, a memorable day, because it happened on the day we were going to the title company to close on our first home. At the same time the ignition switch issue started the airbag light came on and all the steering wheel functions are disabled. The horn no longer works. It is unknown if the airbags work. This is clearly a safety issue but the dealership wants to charge $90 just to hook the vehicle up to their machines to diagnose what is going on and will not consider this as related to the recall P57. Not being able to honk in the interest of safety is a problem. It is unknown if the airbags are functional so I guess it will take getting in an accident to find out (an accident which cannot be prevented by honking my horn to warn another driver).

- Lawrence, KS, USA

Aug 052014

Grand Cherokee

I have been waiting for over a year for a part that doesn't exist. It has gotten a lot worse with the humidity changes and every time I start the Jeep it sticks. I was told to call at the beginning of every week to see if the part comes in. They also told me that they are limited to how many they get each week. I am beyond this bull crap on waiting for a part that's just so simple as they claim to replace.

- Old Fort, NC, USA

Apr 052015

Grand Cherokee

Chrysler has a recall for my 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee for the ignition switch P57/NHTSA 14V-567. The part is not available to repair my vehicle and they do not have an estimated or actual date this part will be in. Chrysler refuses to accommodate the customers with a loaner vehicle. Why is Chrysler not accountable for my car troubles after the recall (which I never received a recall notice)? the government fined Chrysler 70 million dollars and will fine additional monies if the vehicles are not repaired. Why am I suffering and not being accommodated with a working vehicle when the billion dollar industry (Chrysler) has a mishap? my experience: - when vehicle ignition is turned off it only goes ½ the way, the key fob sticks and will not exit. This causes the radio clock light and the gear shift panel to stay lit, which in turn drains the battery. (had to purchase a jump start kit $70 + tax) for when the battery is dead. -since, the key will not exit the ignition I must leave my work area at least twice a day (sometimes more) to check, if the key fob will come out. Once it took 11 hours before key would exit, after running the engine for over 3 hours. I am in jeopardy of losing my livelihood if this issue continues for much longer. It has been going on for months. The recall started November, 2014. How long will I suffer, because I don't have money to purchase a different vehicle and why does this always affect the most unfortunate individuals like me. -there is a 90% chance that my vehicle will be stolen (since key is left in the ignition). I work in durham, nc on the week-end; I pray that I will be able to get back to raleigh if this happens. I cry most nights in fear of losing my jobs. Please, help me!!!!!!

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jul 022015

Grand Cherokee

I get routine maintenance on my vehicle and it is in excellent condition. I was heading off to work and it would not start whatsoever. No clicking, no noise; nothing happened. I took it to a dealership where it was there for a week, and I was told it was due to the ignition recall from Chrysler. I have been going back and forth with Chrysler as to when I can get info on the part. I get no response from them. I have wasted so much time and vacation days to get this taken care of. I get nothing. I have to pay upfront for my rental car which Chrysler tells me I can then apply for a reimbursement that takes 60 days to get back if approved. I am making payments on a dead car that has no solution to it. In the meantime, the dealership is telling me that it is not their problem and I have to deal with Chrysler directly. I am stuck and out of options I just don't know what to do. It is very frustrating and Chrysler doesn't even care about the fact that I fully trusted them in the first place by making this purchase for my family's main transportation. Please if there is anything I can do to further discuss my situation to get a better response from Chrysler please let me know. I will never buy another chryler Jeep vehicle in my lifetime.

- Washington , DC, USA

Nov 192014

Grand Cherokee

On or about 19 Nov 2014, I received a recall notice from Chrysler on the "ignition switch" for my 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland edition. That notice number is P57/NHTSA 14V-567. I have called the dealer several times to ask about availability of parts to have my Jeep repaired....all to no avail. The dealer says they haven't received the parts from Chrysler. Today in the mail I received another recall notice, this time for the "final drive control module", recall notice P73. After another unsuccessful call to the dealer, I decided to call the fca (Fiat Chrysler automobiles) us customer assistance center at 1-800-853-1403 and see what Chrysler's story was. At fca, I spoke with a very nice and likely very young woman named stephanie who informed me that Chrysler does not have a subcontractor to make the part needed to make the repair. She informed me that I would be placed on the "list" of those to be notified by email when a part became available. That is an unacceptable answer and I told her I would be contacting the NHTSA with my complaint. Now on your site, I see that you are about to hold hearings on recall repair delays by Chrysler and clearly my story falls well within those parameters. Let's see what you can do to break through this logjam....threaten not to loan them money the next time they screw up or whatever. Thanks.

- San Rafael, CA, USA

Nov 102014

Grand Cherokee

There was a recall on this vehicle placed on November 10, 2014. Since the recall on the ignition, my Jeep has had multiple occasions in which the ignition key is malfunctioning and I get a loss of certain electrical features. I have spoken to Chrysler on several occasions requesting a rental vehicle until my vehicle can get fixed as this is a safety issue.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jul 022014

Grand Cherokee

When going above 50 miles per hour, specifically on highways, as soon as I hit a large bump in the road, the key "bumps" out of the on position and into the off position. As a result, I loose power steering, brake assist, lights, turn signals, and all other power. I am able to put my 4 way flashers on and steer off the road, restart the car, and get back on the road. This has happened multiple times. The most recent was yesterday when going 70 on the highway while being tailgated by a tractor trailer. When the key slipped, I was almost completely taken out by the tractor trailer. This issue is a known recall; however, when reaching out to Jeep and other local dealerships, I am being told that the part is not available. They are not offering any solutions to remedy the issue in the meantime. I was told that if I wanted a rental, it would be out of pocket. It is not safe to drive my kids around or commute to my job an hour away from home. Jeep does not have an estimated time of when the part will be available.

- York, PA, USA

Apr 012015

Grand Cherokee

Without warning, car would not start. Has happened several times since. Multiple sources have determined it is a problem with the wireless module. Seems to be a widespread problem among Jeep, but no recall.

- Bellmore, NY, USA

May 112015

Grand Cherokee

I was entering a round about and the Jeep just quit. I had no power. It was as if someone shut the key off. This is the third time this has happened with this auto. The dealer said they can find nothing wrong and there isn't a recall on this VIN number.

- Port Edwards, WI, USA

May 112015

Grand Cherokee

Recall part "win" model will not allow key to turn in ignition. Dealer is unable to get new or recall part from Chrysler. No response from Chrysler and no indication when part will be available. Vehicle is inoperable until part is fixed. Dealer ordered a new part amc Chrysler cancelled part with no explanation. Chrysler refuses to return phone calls and emails regarding this repair. Recall # P57

- Toledo, OH, USA

Sep 112014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Drove the car home where it would not turn over, the key would not turn the engine on. Luckily, this did not happen while driving or there would have been an accident. It was as if the part that the key went in was jammed. The car was towed to the dealership where it was determined that the wcm was not recognizing the keys. The wcm was replaced and as a result, two new fobiks had to be purchased. The dealership tested both the power and the ground to the wcm, all tested good, found that the wcm was not recognizing the keys that were in the ignition. We received the recall on the fobiks, and submitted the paperwork for reimbursement. We waited the 60 days that was required but when calling about the refund was told that we would have to wait for the second recall in order to be reimbursed. I was told that even if there had been no problem with my vehicle, and if I would have taken the car to the dealership for a new wcm, I would have to pay for the repair and then wait for the second recall notice before reimbursement. The representative repeated this info to me several times B/C I could not believe what I was hearing. I asked for a supervisor and none was available. The supervisor was to call me back but I received no such call. Per the recall, I have provided a copy of the original receipt and I confirmed that they did receive the receipt. I am asking for the Chrysler recall to reimburse me for my expense as their recall states "reimbursement will be sent to you within 60 days".

- Hudson, CO, USA

Nov 012011

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I purchased a brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee limited in 2008. Almost from the very beginning I've had problems with this vehicle & had been going back & forth to the dealership for one repair after the other. Although the previous issues were serious, they did not rise to the level of being a health/safety hazard as my current problem does. In 2011, I started experiencing intermittent electrical failure; specifically, the vehicle would just stop no matter whether I was driving 70 on the hwy or 30 in a neighborhood. The vehicle would turn off without warning & I would be left trying (w/out any power steering) to coast to the side of the road with whatever momentum was left. Once to the side of the road, I put the vehicle in park, turned the ignition to the off position & wait a few seconds. I would then start the vehicle right up as if nothing had happened. I have taken the Jeep in to the dealer where the problem could not be duplicated. I've gotten to the point where each time it stops, I call the dealer service dept just so the record would show that I called, reported the problem had occurred again & also to vent my frustration of this recurring problem. My concerns: 1) the stalling is happening more frequently 2) the problem can't be duplicated on cue 3) I can't get more than a condescending, what do you want tone from mgmt at the dealership & 4) there does not seem to be any sense of urgency from anyone other than myself. My questions: Does there really have to be some type of accident or fatality before someone actually tries to find out why this is happening & fix it" why aren't the service people equipped to do more than just speak to the vehicle owner as if we are stupid & like I'm just making up stories. Although they haven't been able to duplicate the problem, is there truly someone trying to find out what the problem is? who do I need to contact"

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Apr 222011

Grand Cherokee

Engine stops running while the vehicle is being driven. Typically the failure occurs when the throttle is closed during deceleration I.e. (when decelerating to exit the freeway or decelerating to stop in traffic). The problem was first encountered at 14K miles and persists to date. The vehicle currently has accrued 46K miles. The vehicle has been to the dealer on 5 occasions for diagnosis/repair of the problem. The dealer cannot duplicate the problem and no fault codes are stored in the on board diagnostic system memory. Chrysler customer service was contacted for assistance to no avail. The Chrysler customer service representative merely contacted the servicing dealer and was told no driveability issues exist with the vehicle. I note the vehicle stopped running in traffic after leaving the dealer service department 4/22/2011 (Chrysler customer service was advised). This condition is unsafe as steering and braking systems are significantly degraded without power assist.

- Federal Way, WA, USA