1.6

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Mar 052014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

I purchased a used 2009 Grand Cherokee limited about 1 year ago. Since then, I have had nothing but electrical problems with the vehicle. Over the past 6 months, I have had it into the same dealership approximately 10+ times for the same reason, electrical. Clearly Chrysler is aware there is an issue, as they have repeatedly picked up the repair tab since I started an actual claim with Chrysler customer service. I will start the vehicle up to ten times no problem, then stop somewhere come back to start vehicle again and it just wont start. Chrysler customer service has dragged their feet so far, and their follow up has been poor at best. All the dealership has done is continue to re diagnose that there is a different problem each time as I the consumer continue to pay thousands for the faulty electrical, and cheap parts that have been engineered in my truck. Once again, the consumer foots the bill for corporate americas shortcomings. Their is definitely a problem with Chrysler wireless ignition cylinder, very similar to the GM recall on ignitions if you ask me. Now I have no vehicle again as I sit here waiting for Chrysler to do something, completely on Chrysler time clock. For what we spend on these vehicles today, the products and service provided by Jeep and Chrysler have made me sick to my stomach. I will never buy another Jeep product in the next 30 years that I purchase vehicles due to the poor quality of parts, and the terrible follow up and service by Chrysler corporation...

- Clarkston, MI, USA

Sep 082009

Grand Cherokee

While driving the Jeep Grand Cherokee, the car completely turns off while in drive. Within seconds power steering is lost. This occurs without any initiating event and occurs at random. Most recently the issue occurred while driving at 65 mph. The car has been serviced 8 times, without anything being resolved.

- Fairview Park , OH, USA

May 202014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Twice within the past month, my 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee with approximately 85,000 miles has stalled on me while driving. Both times I took it to a garage; the second time I took it to a Jeep dealer/service center. No codes were thrown either time and neither service person was able to duplicate the problem. It may be a coincidence, but both times this happened, I had filled my tank with gas that day. On both instances, I was able to put the car in park and restart the car with no issues. Additionally, for the past few months, the car often does not start on the first try. It will start with no problems on the second attempt. Dealership has replaced the win module; this did not seem to help. The throttle bottle was also replaced in case that was causing the stalling; that did not help either.I now feel as if I am risking my life and my kids' lives every time I step into the car and take it on the highway. If this stalling issue happens on a highway, we could be killed in an instant. Very dangerous and the service people don't seem all that concerned...they can't pinpoint the issue so they charge me $100+ and send me on my way.

- Mansfield , MA, USA

Mar 152013

Grand Cherokee

While I am driving the key will flip back, thus shutting the car off while in motion. It has happened several times, hitting bumps, and simply driving along the road. Everything will lock up, can not steer, I have almost wrecked on several occasions.

- Murfreesboro , TN, USA

Feb 182014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the power locks, windows, and interior lights failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who stated that a wire in driver's side door needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 65,652.

- Hudson, WI, USA

Aug 302013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to shift into neutral. The failure occurred after the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train). The manufacturer was contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Orange City, FL, USA

Jun 132013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

While driving on a freeway the car stalled and had difficulty controlling the car to the road shoulder. The car was restarted after stopping for few minutes. The car dealership could not identified failure code. This happened again is August 2013 and most recently on September 19, 2013. The last time the car would not start and it was towed to the dealership. I am waiting for their diagnoses.

- Riverview, MI, USA

Aug 042013

Grand Cherokee

I was driving on the garden state parkway North traveling approximately 65mph (the speed limit) and I was in the left lane of the three lane local lanes. I drifted too far to the left and hit the rumble strips on the side of the road. Immediately, my TPMS light came on and I pulled over right away. Apparently, my TPMS sensor on the tire broke and was letting air out of my tire. What happened was, the metal screw that is around the metal valve stem sheered off and nothing was holding the valve stem/TPMS in place except for the air pressure inside the tire. When I ran over the rumble strip, it must have dislodged the sensor and started letting air out of my tire. I went to a tire shop and they found a broken TPMS sensor and they replaced the valve stem with a standard non-TPMS valve stem. My tire was undamaged and is back on the rim, so it was 100% a problem with the TPMS sensor. Furthermore, last year, I had a similar problem. I got a flat tire and my TPMS was damaged. Now, looking back, I feel that the TPMS must have failed causing my flat tire. In that incident, my tire was destroyed because of the flat. I notice now that Chrysler has a newer version of their TPMS sensors that go on the wheel. The new version has a rubber valve stem, while the ones on my vehicle have a metal valve stem. Obviously, Chrysler has found an issue with the metal ones and have updates their parts. I think that this is a serious issue and even though I am ok, I can forsee this causing major problems. Chrysler should have my remaining TPMS sensors replace at no cost to me.

- Parsippany, NJ, USA

Jul 012013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle transfer case actuator recall notice. The consumer stated on two separate occasions, while driving, the transfer case suddenly shifted into neutral, the vehicle was in drive and in motion, not parked. The recall notice, that was sent to him, was not what he experienced.

- Ridgway, CO, USA

Jul 102013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received NHTSA recall notice for campaign number 13V175000 (electrical system, power train) several months ago but was informed by the dealer that the parts for the remedy were not available. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. There are no failures at this time. The VIN was not available.

- Muncie, IN, USA

Oct 192011

Grand Cherokee

Jeep Cherokee stall while being driven....they cut off without any warning...the reason they cut off while in motion is due a wiring harness design flaw, but Jeep is keeping this matter a secret and they deny they have a problem throughout the country...someone or some Agency needs to investigate this matter in order to see how serious and widespread this problem is, surf the internet auto sites regarding all the Jeep Cherokee that stall out while being driven. I do not want to see on the news that a driver was killed when his or her Cherokee stalled causing a massive wreck and deaths....that is why I am reporting this matter.

- Any, PA, USA

May 012011

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the temperature gauge did not respond rapidly to outside temperature changes. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that the vehicle was operating as normal. The manufacturer was aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 13,000 and the current mileage was 13,447. Updated 8/29/11

- Littleton, WV, USA

Apr 082010

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Most of the time the horn will not sound. You have to pound on it many many times for it to sound. By that time the emergency is past. Jeep has said it is the same on all 2009 Jeep. The consumer stated the vehicle would shut off, after it was started. The ignition switch was replaced. Updated 04/08/15

- East Norwich, NY, USA