1.2

2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments

Nov 102016

Grand Cherokee

The engine (5.7 hemi) shuts off shortly after filling up the tank. Its happens 3 times each time after fully filling up the gas tank. Engine will shut off (no stuttering) while driving just half mile (city driving) from the last fill up. The engine will start right up once the car comes to a stop and doesn't happen again until fill up.

- Pinecrest, FL, USA

Aug 052016

Grand Cherokee

I've had this car since 2011. There is one problem after another. I replaced the ac control module 3 times, replaced the evaporator sensor that was defective, replaced the tipm kit, etc. On Friday, July 29 the car broke down and I was told the 8th cylinder stopped working. I took it to the Jeep dealer in placentia for repairs. I paid $2400. On August 5th I was told I could pick up the car and the mechanic came and showed me how the cylinder was defective and along with the manager and two other technicians assured me that I would not have a problem again for years to come. Upon leaving the dealership I called and told them that the car still does not sound right, I was told to give it time. On August 5th I was driving on the freeway and all of a sudden the car's dashboard's lights started going off, the steering wheel blocked and the car slowly stopped. I could not start the car again. I was able to manage to bring the car almost to the wall and totally felt that my life was in danger. I had it towed to the dealer. The towing driver when he reached under the car to hook it up puled the glove and showed me that the transmission oil is all over the engine. At the Jeep dealer I was given me a rental and took the car in. To this day, I am still driving the rental, I have no answer about the car and even though they will be fixing it, I will no longer feel safe in that vehicle. What do I do? this is ridiculous.

- Fullerton, CA, USA

Nov 152015

Grand Cherokee

Sept 26, 2015 driving down the highway at about 65 mph in cruise control, my Jeep just died. Would not start or turn over the engine light oil light and ect light came on. Turns out the timing chain broke damaged intake valve on #2 cylinder and exhaust valve on #8 cylinder. Had the heads inspected valves and timing chain replaced. And new spark plugs, it had 100565 miles on it. Picked it up from the shop on Nov 13, 2015 ran perfectly no vibrations spark knock smooth.. not even 200 miles on it and the same thing driving about 65 mph in eco mode and it just died. The engine light traction control light and ect light and oil light came on. Pulled over on the should it would not start. Had it towed back to the shop.. the same thing timing chain broke and two cylinders have no compression. The shop called the manufacturer of the timing chain and they are puzzled as well about the timing chain breaking so soon after being repaired. Something in the engine is causing extreme harmonics and/or vibration inside the engine and causing excessive force on the timing chain tensioner and guide. However, new parts simply don't break like this if everything is copacetic under the hood.

- Pooler, GA, USA

Sep 062013

Grand Cherokee

The keys don't stay in the ignition

- Kings, NY, USA

Jun 232015

Grand Cherokee

Was driving my vehicle at approximately 25 miles per hour when my car shut off completely. My power steering and brakes stopped working as well and I almost rear ended another vehicle. I assumed it was the battery and replaced the vehicle battery at a cost of $225. The car worked intermitently for the next few days until today, when I had shut it off and then it wouldn't restart. I was finally able to get the vehicle restarted and got it to garden city Jeep where they told me it was indeed a win module. I have noticed that there is a recall for that exact part for approximately 7,000 other 2010 Grand Cherokee and wondering why others were not included. This is a dangerous and expensive situation and I would like to have it remedied as soon as possible. Thank you, anthony J. miller 58 catherine street valley stream, NY 11581

- Valley Stream, NY, USA

Dec 052014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, the engine stalled. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 67,500.

- Vanderbilt, PA, USA

Jul 292012

Grand Cherokee

We purchased the vehicle on a Saturday evening and were sitting in a burger king drive through the next morning and the vehicle gave an alarm that said transmission over temp and the vehicle cut off. It was not in park, it was in drive with my foot on the brake. I had to restart the Jeep and it was immediately sent back to the dealer. They did numerous tests for a week and did not find any problem.

- South Hill, VA, USA