2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments

Oct 022015

Grand Cherokee

While traveling on the express way at a steady speed of 70 mph, without cruise control, the accelerator pedal moved suddenly away from the foot and stayed in the full gas position accelerating the car to well over 80 mph. Attempts to return the pedal to a safe position failed. There was no floor mat interference of any kind and cruise control was not active that day because of excessive truck traffic. Only extraordinary braking slowed the car to allow squeezing between trucks on the right lane and eventually coming to a stop on the free way shoulder. After letting things cool down for a few minutes and restarting the engine, things appeared to have returned to normal and the trip home could be completed without incident. The car was not driven subsequently until a local dealership was able to investigate the event. Nothing was found except the on-board computer displays the code indicating that both the accelerator and brake systems were active at the same time.- at the moment we are at our second dealership and are under advisement from Chrysler to continue the investigation. However nothing different has been determined so far. We are unwilling to use the car due to the imminent threat of a recurrence of the unknown phenomenon.

- Stevensville, MI, USA

Oct 072013

Grand Cherokee

My vehicle's cruise control (cc) lever has functions like; on-off, accelerate, decelerate, set, resume, cancel. The speed is set to the desired values by pressing the lever up (accelerate) and down (decelerate). When the lever is released to its neutral position, the set speed is maintained until the next interruption. To deactivate the cc without erasing the set speed, driver has to tap on the brake pedal or pull the cc lever toward himself. In order to erase the set speed and deactivate the cc at the same time, the driver has to switch the cc to off position. The nonconformity regarding my vehicle's cc system is unintended deactivation of cc without pulling the lever toward myself or tapping the brake pedal. The unintended deactivation occurs without any warning. Deactivation can only be realized if I, somehow, notice that the vehicle slows down by itself or pressing the lever up becomes non operative. This problem does not occur if I press the cc lever up and down with rapid moves, but if I move the lever up slowly or if I hesitate to accelerate the vehicle for even less then a second and hold the cc lever at a position between the "neutral" and "accelerate", it happens all the time. When it occurs, any attempt to accelerate the vehicle by using the cc lever is vein, unless you realize the situation and reactivate the cc system again. Other than the unintentional slow down of the vehicle without any warning, an other consequence of this nonconformity is the uncontrolled acceleration of the vehicle up to it's previous set speed. When the driver realizes the situation and reactivates the cc, the vehicle comes to the previous set speed almost with a full throttle acceleration. I have informed the local dealer and the authorized service department about the situation but they have claimed that it was my fault to move the lever slowly and move it with hesitations.

- Ankara, WA, USA

May 222013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Vehicle shifted from neutral and accelerated striking the side of the garage. Parking brakes would not engage, causing significant damage to the vehicle and garage. Air bags did not deploy. I believe this accident was caused by a pending Jeep recall. NHTSA's # 13V175000.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Jan 042010

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Shortly after I purchased the vehicle, as I was driving, the car would loose all ability to accelerate. It was like the car would drop into neutral for no apparent reason. The only way to correct this was to pull over and restart the car. I contacted the dealership, but was told they couldn't do anything about it unless the issue was occurring while in the service department. Since this issue could potentially create injury to me and cars behind me, I continued to alert the dealership service department on each event. They asked me to keep a log of when it would happen, but after doing that for several months, there appeared to be no pattern. It could happen any time, under any weather conditions, at any speed, no matter if I was driving 10 minutes or 1 hour. The dealership where I purchased my car closed a couple of months after my purchase, so I brought the car to another Jeep dealer that kept it for over a week, and made some corrections of what they thought might be causing the problem. I was lulled into a false security because after a few thousand miles, it happened again. Now, I can go several thousand miles, then out of the blue, just when I think I'm safe, it happens again. They can't seem to isolate the problem to do a repair that will last. The vehicles behind me don't know my car is coasting...this could cause a rear end collision. This is especially dangerous if I'm on a highway. I may have to cross several lanes of speeding traffic to get to the shoulder to restart the car. When I take the car in, they do a diagnostic, but restarting the car resets the defaults to normal. Nothing ever shows up. Very dangerous!!!!

- Mt Prospect, IL, USA

Sep 182010

Grand Cherokee

See attached letter dated 25 March 2010 ( should read 25 March 2011) briefly summarized: The vehicle engine will speed up to between 4000 and 5000 RPM's for no reason and the only way to get this to stop is to pull over to the side of the road and shut the engine off and restart it. This has happened numerous times and it is only a matter of time before someone is killed.

- Rochester, NY, USA