Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

The 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee also has the same transmission issues.

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments

Mar 012016

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle often does not engage in gear. Eventually when it catches gear, the vehicle lunges considerably in gear forcing the car to jerk forward. It happens more often when going slow in traffic or going up and down hills. Very unstable in these situations. In one specific situation in traffic, car did not catch gear and then when it engaged, jerked forward into car in front of me.

- Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

Jun 042016

Grand Cherokee

I have had 2 incidents relating to the vehicle not properly engaging in park, due to the electronic shift mechanism. In one instance I exited the vehicle assuming it was in park and the vehicle was still in gear. The vehicle was in my driveway, rolled forward until striking the side of my house. This caused damage to my house as well as the left front of the vehicle. It was fortunate the vehicle was angled towards the house, otherwise the vehicle would have gone through my back yard into another part of our neighborhood. In the second instance the vehicle was just out of my garage. Again, I exited the vehicle, thinking it was in park. The vehicle was actually in reverse. I exited the vehicle and it started to roll back into my garage with the driver side door opened. I was able to quickly jump back into the moving vehicle and apply the brakes in time to stop the vehicle. If I had not been able to do so the vehicle would have struck the side of my garage with an open door.

- Lebanon, OH, USA

Nov 272015

Grand Cherokee

After placing my vehicle in park on a flat surface parking lot and got out of my vehicle it started to roll back striking another car. It caused minimal damage to the rear bumper which costed me $200 to replace. I notified the dealt who stated its was user error at the time. Now I'm starting to see and hear about other customers complaining about the same problem, so I know for sure it wasn't user error. This issue continues to happen as I have to double clutch it twice for it to read parked. I pay to much a month for a vehicle that could cause death, injury or addition damages that's unacceptable.

- Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

May 162016

Grand Cherokee

This safety complaint is related to the monostable gear shifter on my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I had a minor accident a couple months ago that I initially attributed to my own error, although I had a hard time believing I just got out of the car with it still in gear. When I saw the national news coverage after the tragic death of actor a. yelchin and the safety recall, I quickly realized that my incident may have been related to the same problem.....updated 0711/16 here's what happened: I started backing out of my driveway on my way to a meeting, then realized I left my water bottle in the fridge so I pulled back into the driveway, put the car in park, and walked through my garage into the house. I walked to the fridge, grabbed the water, said a few words to my wife and kids, and headed for the door. When I opened the door, I was surprised to see my car rolling toward me. It had been approximately 30 seconds since I got out of the car. Luckily, my car rolled into my wife's 2008 Jeep patriot, which was parked in the garage. This resulted in minor body damage to both of our vehicles (see attached pictures of the damage. I've since applied touch-up paint on my car to prevent rust, etc). Had my car been six inches to the right, it would have missed my wife's car and rolled directly at the door I was walking out of. While the driveway has a little slope to it, the garage is flat, so the car would have picked up additional speed before hitting the house, and my wife and two kids were right behind me in the kitchen. My kids were playing outside and in the garage just before this happened, and had luckily just gone in to eat dinner. This could have been a much, much worse outcome. IM interested in having the shifter fixed as part of the recall, and would also like to see Fiat Chrysler take responsibility for the damage to our vehicles.

- New Baltimore, MI, USA

May 202016

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle was stationary, in park with engine idling. Standing outside of vehicle, I opened door to reach in to turn ignition off. As soon as I hit ignition, car accelerated forward dragging me about 10 yards. I was not in vehicle and held on to steering wheel and open door to keep from getting run over. It collided with vehicle parked in front of me, luckily in an empty parking lot and no one was injured. There is surveillance camera on site and this incident was captured on video. Witnesses were present and co-workers viewing it were frightened by seemed to have a mind of its own.

- Haverhill, MA, USA

May 252016

Grand Cherokee

R rolled into tree, drivers door was jammed. Walked to house got keys and husband who climbed over the console and backed the car out from between two trees drove to our house.the car was originally in park standing still I was not in the car when this happened, home is located on a rural road. The damage was extensive.

- Harvard, IL, USA

Mar 262016

Grand Cherokee

I have had two incidents involving Y 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee whereas I put the gear shifter into park and both times the vehicle moved in gear. The first incident I was loading my boat and trailer into lake powell and placed the shifter into park and the vehicle keep rolling back. The only thing that saved anyone from getting hurt was I placed the parking brake on immediate. The second instance was I was backing into my garage when I placed the shifter into park and the vehicle kept driving backwards in reverse gear. This causes my vehicle to crash into overhead storage and cause approximately $1500 in damage to vehicle. I called Chrysler and they did nothing to help but gave me the run around. I am concerned with my personal safety now due to this issue.

- Flagstaff, AZ, USA

Feb 252016

Grand Cherokee

I put car in park and got out of vehicle. A few moments later I noticed that vehicle was rolling in reverse down my street. I was unable to stop it. It continued to roll until crashing into a tree. There is bumper damage and scratches and dents to the body of the car.

- Berlin, CT, USA

Oct 262015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V393000 (structure); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Aug 312015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the battery was mounted under the passenger seat and was very difficult to access. The contact notified the dealer, but the mechanic could not remove the battery. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Aug 152015

Grand Cherokee

On August 15th 2015, I brought my vehicle in for a recall that I received in the mail, on the letter it states it is for orc module, so I went into the dealership ray brandt Dodge, Jeep on westbank expressway to have my recall taken care of, well prior to bringing in my car I called them twice to make an appointment to have my car serviced, they informed me that I did not need to make an appointment just to bring the vehicle in for the recall. I brought that car in the Saturday of August 15th to be informed that I needed to make an appointment and they were backed up, I informed them that I had called twice to make sure I got my car taken care of and got this recall item taken care of, they could not service me and told me I had to make an appointment so I left with my car not being serviced and driving my vehicle with a known recall that I brought my car in for, on August 27th I had a car accident, ,my car is still not been serviced for this known recall code R05, and now I have had an accident in my car which has me shook since I know that there is a issue with my car. I am writing this complaint because I think it is horrible the way that dealership treated me and I could be in a different situation and not be able to write this complaint. I do not know if this will do or change anything but I thought it should be heard.

- New Orleans , LA, USA

Aug 172015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V393000 (structure); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Jun 282015

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle was put into park while running. The vehicle then started to roll backwards while still in park and then collided into another parked vehicle. While the vehicle was rolling backwards 3 other occupants proceeded to evacuate the vehicle before it collided with the other parked car. The evacuation of the vehicle left the doors open which, when the vehicles collided, left the doors of the rolling vehicle (the Jeep) unable to be closed.*updated* the driver left the vehicle to go into a gas station, the shift indicator showed the vehicle to be in park. The vehicle started to rollaway, the two children and the adult passenger evacuated the vehicle as they thought it might roll into street traffic and be struck. A child was injured exiting the vehicle as the vehicle collided with another parked vehicle, and then continued on rolling into a ditch. A bystander jumped in the vehicle to try to stop the rolling and noticed that the shift indicator was showing the vehicle was in park.*smch....updated 04/25/16

- Livonia, MI, USA