2003 Jeep Liberty drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Jeep Liberty:

2003 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

Jul 152013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2003 Jeep Liberty. While driving at various speeds, the speedometer became inoperable and the check engine warning light illuminated intermittently. In addition, the contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle stalled as the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, where it was diagnosed that the speedometer and rear center differential sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The contact mentioned that the speedometer sensor was replaced six times. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 137,000.

- Lumberton, TX, USA

Dec 172013

Liberty 6-cyl

While I was driving westbound on Washington avenue approaching main street the transmission began slipping. Upon closer examination I discovered the transmission fluid was leaking along the fresh fallen snow behind me.

- Pearl River, NY, USA

Apr 072011

Liberty

Applied brakes to stop vehicle, put transmission into park, turned key off, removed key, opened driver door, took foot of brake pedal, exited vehicle, started to walk behind vehicle, noticed vehicle drifting towards me, opened driver door, attempted to jump in to apply brakes, tumbled halfway out of vehicle (strained neck and knee), pulled myself in by the steering wheel, applied brake as vehicle hit parked pickup truck, started vehicle, moved back into previous parking space, applied brakes, put transmission into park, turned off key, took foot of brake pedal, vehicle started to drift (again), applied foot brake and emergency brake, vehicle stopped.

- Port Vue, PA, USA

Apr 232010

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Going 60mph, my engine light flashed then vehicle died. I was stuck on the freeway, after a minute was able to restart (though car shaking badly) and get to the side. It was immediately towed to the mechanic, and they diagnosed a broken valve spring, and said it's an extremely rare occurrence for a vehicle this age. It"S a 2003 Jeep Liberty with 91000 miles. Other than the valve spring, the engine is in great condition. There's concern about replacing it because he feels it could be a factory defect, and there"S another spring valve, so we're deciding whether to replace both, or the whole engine. In researching we've found this seems a common problem with Liberty's 2002-2005, and I assume only a small percentage of people are actually writing about it. The mechanics talked to say they've seen it before in the Liberty's too. A good site for comments about the Liberty's is www.carsurvey.org/reviews/Jeep/Liberty/R95082/comments/. also found; 1)replacement parts listed are refurbished, or new. There's no refurbished available, only new. Could mean there's a flaw so they wouldn't want to refurbish the old ones, because you would have the same problem, so a new one, with better components are the only ones available. 2)I stated the flaw seems to appear 2002-2005, and when looking at the valve spring 2003 part# vs 2006 part#, 2006 the number changed, which might mean they figured it out, and put the updated part in the 2006 model. It seems to be the intake valve, not exhaust valve with defect, and in the 2003/2006 part numbers the intake# is different, but exhaust# is the same. I called Jeep nat'L customer complaint center, filed complaint, was given the runaround, and was told because my mechanic was not Chrysler, they couldn't trust his findings. I was repeatedly told my car was old, yet alot of people reported the same thing; their mechanics say it?S a very rare occurrence that a valve spring breaks, especially with the mileages being reported.

- Edmonds, WA, USA

Sep 032009

Liberty

I own a 2003 Jeep Liberty and have had it for 2 years now and have every problem you can think of. My warranty recently expired 6,000 miles ago. My warranty expired at 75,000 miles and at 78,000 miles my air conditioner broke and had to replace that it cost me $900. Just yesterday may car would not shift passed second gear, I have an automatic transmission, I noticed it when I was getting on the highway. Lately I have been noticing that the transmission seems to be slipping but never could find the problem because my transmission fluid was always fine. So yesterday I went to aamco transmissions and they said it was the tcm so they told me it would cost $440 total. So they went to order the part but come to find out no one has it and the place that has all the tcm parts wont ship them till the 24th of September. So here it is September 3rd and I wont have my car fixed for the whole month of September. I don't understand why they wont ship them now. Also, they told me that they have been selling out of tcm fast because everyone is always needing them.

- Westfield, MA, USA

Aug 152003

Liberty

Intermittent failure to start leading to complete failure so the 2003 Jeep Liberty had to be towed to the dealer. After over $500 dollars worth of work to replace the main computer module the Jeep started for only 10 days, then the intermittent trouble returned, they replaced the battery, the Jeep had no problems now its dead, they have replaced the ignition switch, now the tumbler and new keys, the total is at $300+ and still have a dead Jeep. There are 100S of complaints just like this one on the web indicating something is defective!! please help!

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Aug 152003

Liberty

Transmission is leaking, brakes squeal when you are backing up. They say it is from dew. It's in the garage at night. The steering is my main concern.it pulls so hard to the right. It's an accident waiting to happen.

- Bartlesville, OK, USA