2003 Jeep Liberty electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Jeep Liberty:

2003 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

May 152016

. I have a 2003 Jeep Liberty renegade which Iżve had since 2004. Since that time, Iżve had the rear window repaired at least 6 times for the same issue. The problem is that the window will fail ż weather you use it or not ż eventually and fall into the door frame. Iżve had this happen when parked, when using the window or just driving on the highway. It happened a few days ago again because my wife rolled the rear window down by accident (I havenżT used either rear window since the last repair done a few years ago!).

- King Of Prussia, PA, USA

Apr 182016

Rear swing gate doesn't open - whether using key fob or unlocking from front, glass window open but swing gate will click but not open up.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Apr 112016

Back passenger window pump went out around 80,000 miles- was not replaced because the price to fix was quoted for at least $600; back driver's side window pump went out at 105,000 miles - prices have seemed to come down for repairs and am looking to get it replaced but it seems soon to have to replace this

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jan 082016

The contact owns a 2003 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V046000 (air bags, electrical system) however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Bahama, NC, USA

Aug 252015

Engine failure..engine will not electrical overload causes main fuses to blow.the Jeep has been with a Jeep dealer for thirty days..with no solution in sight.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Oct 172015

My vehicle was being drivin on smooth open highway. The child in the back seat requested the back window be rolled up. This driver proceeded to depress button that controls the operation of the window in the back seat up or down and when doing so the window did not close all the way shut. This driver stopped to get gas and tried the switch once again. The window would still not close all the way. When window was touched at the top, it felt loose and easily slid down into the door and no longer worked to close at all. Diagnosis was made at a professional dealer quoting $300 claiming that the regulatory switch was broken.upon calling Chrysler with complaint, my response was that this problem is at my expense because A- the vehicle is older and the previous owner could have caused this problem. I strongly disagree that the age and number of owners of a vehicle warrants denial of recall and replace or the regulatory switch.this is a continual problem and hundreds of other persons have complained the same problem. Chrysler used cheap parts meant to break with no regard for its customers whatsoever. In my case children were in the vehicle back seat and this problem does impose a safety risk to children as well as financial burden on the customer. Chrysler is aware of this problem because they have remade regulatory switch and motor better built ony want customers to buy it. Regulatory switch should be recalled and re installed just like the hitch was, ts is no different a child is put at risk !

- Woodridge, IL, USA

Apr 192007

The contact owns a 2003 Jeep Liberty. When the rear window was opened and/or closed, the cable snapped and both rear windows fractured. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The details of the repairs were unknown. The approximate mileage was 52,000. The VIN was not available. Updated 11/19/15

- Midlothian, TX, USA

Jun 072015

The contact owns a 2003 Jeep Liberty. While driving approximately 70 mph, the headlights and the interior lighting dimmed. The air bag indicator illuminated. The lights came back on after approximately two minutes. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 117,000.

- Palm Bay, FL, USA

Mar 252015

Liberty 6-cyl

Called dealer to get repairs for recall notice R06. Dealer has nor been sent necessary parts.

- Fincastle, VA, USA

Jan 062014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The key doesn't lock into the ignition switch and can be removed or fall out during driving. When turning it off, it can be put in into aux instead and key removed, which can lead to a dead battery.

- El Cajon, CA, USA

May 052003

The contact owns a 2003 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that there was an intermittent electrical short that progressed for years. The vehicle was taken to an independent dealer and the authorized dealer, but neither were able to replicate or diagnose the failures more than once. The contact continued to experience the failure in which the vehicle stalled several times and had to be restarted to reset the computer. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who replaced the instrument cluster twice, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was also included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V046000 (air bags) and the dealer was unable to determine when the part and the permanent remedy would become available to schedule the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was less than 5.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jan 312015

The contact owns a 2003 Jeep Liberty. While driving approximately 5 mph, a burning odor and smoke were present inside the vehicle. After exiting the vehicle, the contact discovered flames underneath the vehicle. The fire department was called to extinguish the flames. The vehicle was destroyed. A police and a fire report were filed. The cause of the failure was not determined. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 150,000.

- Bristol, CT, USA

Oct 302014

The contact owns a 2003 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated continuously after the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 12V527000 (air bags). The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the jumper harness needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 104,583.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Feb 012013

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the windshield began to crack without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the failure was due to a pressure issue between the seal and the window. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified of the issue. The failure mileage was unknown. Updated 12/16/14

- Woodridge, IL, USA

Aug 142014

Liberty 6-cyl

Airbag light came on while driving to work. Researched online and saw this has happened in other Jeep.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jul 312013

Liberty 6-cyl

Ignition switch would not command the starter.

- Howard, OH, USA

Aug 262013

Liberty 6-cyl

We have made several attempts to have the recall repaired with union city, Georgia at (770) 969-7229. We spoke with don jackson. Each time, we were told the parts were not in and we would receive a call as soon as the parts come in. We never received a call back. We called again and again. Each time, we are told the part is not in and we are promised a call back. Would you kindly help.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

May 122014

Either beginning of the this year or last month of last year, I received a letter from Chrysler about a recall on my vehicle for the air bag, so before I turn in the my truck for service the air bag light don't come on at all, but after they fixed the recall issues, few months later my air bag light keep coming on and stay on, so I call the Chrysler dealer who fixed my truck and there reply is that is not our problem that the airbag light come on when you drive. So here my question if the recall was call for the airbags in my truck why my airbag light now is coming on when I drive my truck, are they suppose to fixed the airbag or what, don't understand about the recall for the airbag but my light for the airbag is on.. so please help me to understand what should I do, now I afraid to drive my truck when I go to work.. so now every time I turn on my signal my dome light comes on and stay on for good 5 mins..

- Marietta , GA, USA

Jan 172014

Liberty 6-cyl

I bought some fuses for my Jeep and all eight of them blew as soon as I put them in number 15 blue so I now have no back light or blinkers or hazards lights.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 252013

Liberty 6-cyl

Two of the rear windows have failed. Both of them dropped for no apparent reason and would not work to close them. One of the failed in 3/2013 and the other one failed today while I was driving 60 mph on the freeway. I know that Jeep has had many complaints regarding the failure of their windows. I know that it is going to cost at lease $300 to repair each window. I have not been able to afford to repair the first failed window. I have had to use duct tape over and over to try and keep it closed. Now the second window has failed and is trapped inside the door frame. Jeep needs to recall these defective windows.

- Truckee, CA, USA