2003 Jeep Liberty seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Jeep Liberty:

2003 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 8 of 16)

Sep 152014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2003 Jeep Liberty. While driving at approximately 35 mph, the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the air bag electronic control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V046000 (air bags); however the part to do the recall repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,278.

- San Marcus, CA, USA

May 182015

Liberty

Airbag light comes on intermittently. Stays on for several miles, then turns off. This happens repeatedly everyday. Why hasn't this been recalled and Chrysler paid to fix this safety hazard?? also, seat belt release button stopped releasing. It stayed suppressed in the release position not allowing the belt to lock in. After tapping it hard, it released. Then it froze in the locked position and I couldn't get out of the belt. Now it works, but I'm not sure if it's really locked and will release in an accident.

- Oakdale, MN, USA

Jun 072015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2003 Jeep Liberty. While driving approximately 70 mph, the headlights and the interior lighting dimmed. The air bag indicator illuminated. The lights came back on after approximately two minutes. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 117,000.

- Palm Bay, FL, USA

May 302015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2003 Jeep Liberty. While driving 45 mph, the air bag deployed inadvertently. Due to the failure, the seat belts locked and failed to work. The contact sustained bruises and contusions that did not require medical attention. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the air bags needed to be replaced. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 15V046000 (air bags); however, the part needed to do the repair was still not available. The manufacturer was made aware of the delay and stated that there was no timeframe for the parts to become available. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Tucker, GA, USA

Mar 242015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2003 Jeep Liberty. While driving approximately 25 mph, the contact lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a light pole and a tree. Neither of the frontal air bags deployed. The police and the fire department were notified. The driver suffered a head concussion and nine fractured ribs, which required medical attention. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to an impound lot. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Albright, NJ, USA

Apr 212015

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

There are 12 active recalls on my vehicle. I don't trust the vehicle. I want a replacement vehicle. Some recalls are "incomplete" and cannot be remedied right now. I have had very bad experiences with Jeep dealerships - they have repeatedly demonstrated that they were untrustworthy and either not doing the work they said they did or breaking something on my Jeep and charging me for it. I think they should replace my vehicle another vehicle that either has no recalls or one that has passed compliance. No accident yet. Do I really have to wait for an accident" 12 recalls"

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Apr 152015

Liberty

Driving out of my neighborhood all of a sudden the two front airbags deployed for no reason. There was no one near me and I was able to safely stop and get out. However the airbags had already done it's damage to both my arms as well as my stomach, as well as my little yorkie that was in my lap. Thank god I hadn't made it to the highway before this happened.

- Brunswick, GA, USA

Apr 152015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2003 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure) and 15V046000 (air bags); however, the parts needed to repair the vehicle were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Apr 092015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2003 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 12V527000 (air bags), 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure), and 15V046000 (air bags) however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 082015

Liberty

We were driving on a busy street to go our house when we heard a warning tone when we were turning over a roundabout. After 10 seconds, the air bags blew up all of a sudden. It was fortunate that we are running only at 10 mile per hour or slower as it was rush hour and there was traffic. Also my husband was able to put on the brake to avoid hitting the car in front of us. We were badly shaken, traumatized and had bruises on our arms and chests due to some parts bursting towards us. The steering wheel cover and dashboard where the air bags were are pretty damaged. We totally cut out the air bags to avoid the repeat of this incident. My husband is now traumatized to drive the Jeep. We also heard some strange sounds in the serpentine belt. We don't now if it's connected to the air bag explosion. Our car was bought second. The first owner who is american imported the Jeep from the us and brought it here (another country in southeast asia). We are living abroad (not in us) and we don't know how we can file this complaint on the defects of the Jeep Liberty we are using. We hope someone can respond and help us. I am putting the contact details of my brother who lives in the us in the personal information in case someone would like to contact us.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jan 282015

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

My boyfriends daughter was driver and my daughter (both minors) head busted on the front passenger windshield. Cars in front of them stopped abruptly and they were going 55 mph and could not get stopped, hitting the car stopped in front of them. Neither driver nor passenger airbag deployed. My daughter is lucky!

- Lancaster, KY, USA

Feb 112015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2003 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V046000 (air bags) however, the part needed to perform the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Ashfield, MA, USA

Mar 252015

Liberty 6-cyl

Called dealer to get repairs for recall notice R06. Dealer has nor been sent necessary parts.

- Fincastle, VA, USA

Mar 272015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2003 Jeep Liberty. The contact received NHTSA campaign number: 15V046000 (air bags) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 09/10/15

- Springfield, OH, USA

Feb 062015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2003 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V046000 (air bags) however, the part needed to service the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Carlton, WA, USA

Jan 042015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2003 Jeep Liberty. While driving approximately 25 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was restarted. When the accelerator pedal was depressed, the vehicle suddenly stalled and crashed into a telephone pole. The air bags failed to deploy and the seat belt had not restrained the contact. As a result, the contact sustained back and neck injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Mar 112015

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

On March 11, 2015 the local dealer installed recall campaign (M35) 'supplemental jumper harness to the airbag module control'. when unit was ready for pickup I noticed my 'warning airbag light' on, I ask why, their answers were "that light was already on" and "if you need further service we need authorization from Chrysler". rescheduled another appointment to resolve the issued and/or removal of the part/alteration to my vehicle on 25 March, 2015. Again they denied service due to Chrysler denial to remove the previous part. Chrysler based their decision is "safety reasons", my question how can that be a safety reason if my vehicle was in perfect conditions before installation of such 'recall'. now it's a safety reason. Again due to the fact after installation of part, I'm having problems with my "airbag warning light on".

- Hatillo, PR, USA

Jan 012013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2003 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notifications for NHTSA campaign number: 12V527000 (air bags) in January of 2013, NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system) in December of 2013, and NHTSA campaign number: 15V046000 (air bags) in February of 2015. After contacting the dealer on multiple occasions, the contact was informed that the parts needed to repair the vehicle were still not available and no estimated time for receiving the parts could be provided. The VIN was not available. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Conneaut, OH, USA

Jun 012014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2003 Jeep Liberty. While driving at various speeds, the air bag warning light illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the sensor in the steering wheel needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V046000 (air bags); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 105,000.

- Portland, OH, USA

Mar 132015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2003 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V046000 (air bags) however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Jamestown, OH, USA