2004 Jeep Liberty steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Jeep Liberty:

2004 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Aug 242011

Liberty

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Liberty limited. The contact was driving 45 mph when she lost control of the vehicle while making a turn. The steering wheel was turned in one direction, but the vehicle proceeded in the opposite direction; however, the contact was able maintain control of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated the rear control track or control arm broke in half. The manufacturer was notified of the failure, but the vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 68,000.

- Akron, OH, USA

Aug 102011

Liberty

While driving down the main road in our town at 30mph driver heard a loud noise and then lost control of the steering in 2004 Jeep Liberty. The car was swerving and the driver had no control of the vehicle. The car went off the right shoulder of the road, scraped a metal mile marker and finally came to a stop. It has been determined that the left rear lower control arm had corroded and broken. This could have resulted in a very serious accident.

- Delmar, NY, USA

Dec 222010

Liberty

Vehicle started making crunching noises when going over bumps (dips, speed bumps/humps, railroad tracks) issue wasn't constant, tended to happen in the early mornings or late nights when the weather was colder. Took the vehicle to a couple of mechanics with no findings. Over time (02/01/2011) the vehicle started making a 'whining' noise when I make sharp right hand turns, again not every sharp right hand turn recreates the noise. I suspected power steering and or bushings could be an issue. Today, 04/19/2011, vehicle is in shop for new tires and an oil change and an investigation into my complaints/suspicions. It's been discovered that there is a leak in my power steering pressure line and issues with my rack and pinion. On a side note, it's also time to replace my struts and shocks, however this is not part of the issue I've been experiencing, according to the mechanic. It was also brought to my attention that rack and pinion issues as well as power steering pressure line leakage issues are very common with this year/make/model. Funnily enough, after lots of research and many phone calls to several other mechanics, the ps pressure line issue can be fixed but will most likely reoccur due to the hose not being able to handle the constant working pressure of 3000 psi. It seems I will now be looking for another part for my Jeep that is being fabricated by an innovative individual that can do the job that Jeep can't seem to figure out. (your window regulators need to be re-engineered as well)

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jan 082011

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

While driving my 2004 Jeep Liberty I lost power steering. I was able to pull over and stop without incident. My steering rack and a power steering pressure line started leaking a lot of fluid resulting in loss of steering. I have since learned that this is a familiar problem to Chrysler/Jeep but there is no recall. Sudden loss of steering is a serious problem and a recall should be considered.

- Huntersville, NC, USA

Dec 232010

Liberty 6-cyl

I have had repeated problems with my 2004 Liberty power steering. It appears that in very cold conditions the fluid leaks, maybe a shrinking gasket or seal" a seeping power steering line" the leak is at the fitting where it goes into the pump. It appears that the pressure from the pump is overpowering the O-ring in this fitting. Unfortunately the leak went unnoticed until the system went dry.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Aug 032009

Liberty 6-cyl

2004 Jeep Liberty parked in parking garage. Put key in ignition and had foot on brake. Turned key on, put it in reverse and car accelerated out of control. Put second foot on brake and tried to stop car. Continued to accelerate. Front drivers side tire caught a pillar and between that and practically standing on brake finally stopped car. Took car to dealer in West valley ut. They could not repeat a diagnostic problem but did state the throttle body was dirty and cleaned it, along with $1575.95 worth of parts and labor. They replaced a bent steering gear. I had the car for 5 years and it never happened before. I wrote to Chrysler and they sent me a check for half of the $1575.95 damage. They did not include any other paperwork. I called them and they again would not put anything in writing as to why they did not pay the entire amount. I strongly feel that it was a problem with the acceleration system and I should be reimbursed for the rest of the money.

- Meadowlakes, TX, USA

Jun 262008

Liberty

Noticed that one power steering hose was pressing up against the plastic fan shroud. Inspected the hose and found that sharp edge of the fan shroud was cutting into the hose. The hose developed a small leak of power steering fluid. Had car into dealer for an oil change and asked the technician to inspect the hose. He confirmed that the shroud had cut into the hose. The hose was replaced and correctly located away from the shroud. This was a factory error in that the hose should not had been installed up against the plastic fan shroud. Undetected the end result would have been an unexpected rupture of the hose and loss of power steering fluid, and steering ability.

- Belford, NJ, USA

Nov 102007

Liberty 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Liberty. While turning left at 5 mph, the vehicle began swerving from left to right. The contact lost control of the vehicle for fifteen seconds, but then it began to drive normally. The vehicle was not diagnosed by the dealer. The powertrain was unknown. The current mileage was 40,446 and failure mileage was 35,000.

- Farafota, FL, USA

Jul 142007

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Loss of control of vehicle on entrance ramp to highway. Vehicle pulled hard to the left, ended up coming to a stop facing on coming traffic. Dealer couldn't find anything wrong, components involved in previous recall had already been replaced.

- Westboro, MA, USA

Oct 102006

Liberty

: the contact stated the vehicle lost control at 50 mph causing the vehicle to crash into an embankment. No injuries were sustained. A police report was taken. The contact expressed that the steering may have been the cause of the accident. The vehicle had not been to a service dealer.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jul 012004

Liberty 6-cyl

Hard constant pulling to right and grinding. Some times a popping noise.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Mar 182006

Liberty 6-cyl

With no warning whatsoever, the left front lower ball joint on my vehicle broke while I was backing out of a parking space. The vehicle did not make any unusual noises nor were there any noticeable problems prior to the part breaking. When the ball joint broke, the wheel was also damaged. When I had the vehicle towed into a Jeep dealer, I was informed that there was a recall on 2003 Jeep Liberty's for this problem, but no recall had been issued on the 2004 model. The mechanics at the dealership told me that this part should be expected to last much more than the 1 year, 9 months & 40,000 miles of my vehicle life. My extended warranty covered the cost of replacing both front ball joints (except for a $100 deductible) and I had to pay to replace the damaged wheel. ($317.55). We were away from home and had stopped for something to eat at the time this happened. Just think of the possibilities if we were enroute or returning via the expressways at speeds between 55 and 70 mph. I have contacted daimler/Chrysler customer care and they seem unwilling to discuss this possible defect on this vehicle.

- Jeffersonville, IN, USA

Jul 232005

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

1. transmission downshifts hard when decelerating to a stop 2. steering gear replaced 3. after item 2, left (driver) side front lower ball joint broke.

- Belleville, IL, USA

Sep 222003

Liberty 6-cyl

I discovered the recall on Jeep Liberty on your web page. I contacted Jeep and they deny any knowledge of a recall. My vehicle was manufactured 7/02 and clearly falls into the specified time frame on your web page but Jeep denies this. My vehicle was involved in an accident in September because my fiancee swerved to avoid a collision with another vehicle and all of a sudden she could not steer the vehicle. The body shop had to replace several steering components. I advised Jeep of this and they still deny any knowledge of a recall and said that my vehicl ewas not involved in any recalls.

- Oxford, GA, USA