2004 Jeep Liberty steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Jeep Liberty:

2004 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 022016

Liberty 6-cyl

I have had the front lower ball joints replaced twice on my 2004 Jeep Liberty. I was driving both timed it has happened costing me tow and repair costs. I feel I should have been notified about the dangerous safety recall on this vehicle. I am now after leaning that it also hssv12 recalls and safety issues including the gas tank and suspension and stability of my vehicle am afraid to even drive it out if concern for mine and others safety. I am a 62 year old fudablrd woman and need this vehicle fixed and brought up to safety standards. Please tell me what and where to do to get issues resolved. Thank you

- Fayetteville, WV, USA

Feb 242016

On my 2004 Jeep Liberty I have had the lower front ball joints replace a few years back by the F23 recall. This week as I was replacing upper control arms, which come pre assembled with the ball joint, I noticed the boots for the lower ball joints were again damaged. I also noticed that there is a loud noise when going over unsmooth surface roads, etc. I am thinking this could be caused by the rear upper control arm. Now I'm not a professional mechanic, but common sense tells me that the engineering on the suspension has been compromised. I contacted Chrysler, who told me to contact a dealer, who told me they would get back to me on this problem. I also experienced multiple window regulator problems, along with recalls on the air bags system as well as gas tank protection recalls.

- Mermentau, LA, USA

Dec 262015

Front passenger side, lower ball joint has failed (again) even after replaced by recall # 06V288000... taking a left hand turn on a city street and it blew out, thankfully I was able to pull over into a bus stop. Dealership is refusing to cover them under warranty. NHTSA action number :EA06008

- Somerville, MA, USA

Jul 312015

Heard some kind of pop, then some grinding when holding the brake down and turning the wheel. Took car to my regular mechanic. They found all 4 ball joints boots perforated & handed me a recall notice for lower ball joints only that was from Sept. 2006. I purchased the vehicle Jan. 2006 & never rec'd this recall. Even when I went to the dealer for the fuel tank recall on 7/11/15, they didn't notify me of it. I went on & it shows this recall as repaired, which obviously isn't possible. According to there are several issues related to this vehicle through different manufacturers. I have an appt. Set up at the dealer next week & depending on what they say about fixing all the ball joints and checking for other safety concerns, I may be sending in another complaint.

- Holiday, FL, USA

Dec 042014

While pulling into a parking lot, the left lower ball joint separated and destroyed itself, the left upper control arm, the left cv joint and the alignment. Had we been traveling at highway speed we would have been in a severe accident. This problem was covered under a previous recall however we were never notified of this at the time we purchase the vehicle and was told that the recall has been closed with no recourse for reimbursement for the repairs done and no recourse to have the other side repaired.

- Shallotte, NC, USA

May 012015

I was driving on hwy 620S approximately 65 mph and my rear end began jerking from the right to the left and I almost ended up in the ditch and I was very scared. Recall L27 was issued in 2012 but Jeep will not help me. I have been calling and for months with this complaint and problem I had been having but I was told Jeep would only cover Jeep that resided in "salt states". I've spoken with several customer care rep's with Jeep and on may2nd that there was actually 3 stipulations to this recall: 1. I needed to live in a salt state 2. the state where my Jeep was built/made at 3. what year my Jeep was. I spoke with 2 representatives that could not tell me what state my Jeep was built/made in with my VIN #. I found this strange, they should know this information. The 3rd person logan on May 2, 2015 was able to inform me my Jeep was built in toldeo, Ohio and I was referred to another # 1-800-992-1997. Randi told me my VIN# was not considered a "no open recall". I've been laid off my last 2 jobs and can't afford to have this repaired. I'm scared I'm going to lose control of my car and end up killed or killing someone else. Please help me...

- Austin, TX, USA

Nov 192014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle vibrates at any speed and worsens upon braking. Have had alignment done 3 times and alignment keeps failing. Tires are all new. Have had the camber and casters replaced in front, did not help vibration. Brakes have been replaced, vibration persists. Vibration is so powerful upon braking that sterring wheel bounces out of my hands. The vibration when driving sounds like I have a flat tire.

- Byron, NY, USA

Jan 032015

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated while having maintenance performed by the dealer, the technician notified the contact that the front and rear control arms and ball joints were corroded. In addition, the contact mentioned that the power steering and gasket valve covers had to be replaced multiple times for a recurring failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 164,000.

- Austin, TX, USA

Mar 032008

Liberty 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the front of vehicle started to shake. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who advised that the shocks needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure was recurring. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer, who then stated that the front control arm would need replacing. The vehicle was not further repaired. Additionally, the contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number 13V252000 (structure).the manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 73,000.

- Jamaica , NY, USA

Feb 202014

Liberty 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the steering wheel began to move up and down independently. The contact stopped the vehicle and discovered that the steering wheel position locking mechanism had failed and caused the steering wheel to move out of position. The contact indicated that the defect had occurred several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 147,000.

- Evensville, IN, USA

Jan 282014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

2004 Jeep Liberty. Consumer writes in regards to gas tank could explode if hit from rear and trailer hitch needs to be installed to protect gas tank. The consumer had the hitch installed, by a company that was recommended by Chrysler. However, several days later, the consumer received a call from Chrysler saying the hitch that was installed was the wrong one, and he would not be getting reimbursed. Also, the power steering pump failed.

- New London, CT, USA

Feb 112014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while reversing from a driveway, the power steering became inoperable and made it difficult for the contact to turn the steering wheel. The contact added power steering fluid to the vehicle and the failure ceased. Two days later, the failure recurred. The vehicle was diagnosed by an independent mechanic and the contact was informed that the rack and pinion was faulty and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 132,000. Updated 3/31/14

- St Marys, PA, USA

Jan 272014

There was a loud pop and the front wheel started wobbling and I could not move the car, and according to opelika Ford Chrysler Dodge Jeep, my lower ball joint broke. My complaint: My vehicle has been at the dealership in opelika, al for a month with promises of the parts coming in, but as of today, 2/25/2014, are still not there. Although, the dealership is covering the charge, had I known it was going to take this long, I'm sure I could have had it repaired with all of the rental car expenses I have incurred. This is harsh lesson about dealing with a dealership. Thank you.

- Opelika, AL, USA

Jan 262014

Suddenly had a hard time turning car. Checked power steering and it was empty. I put some in and noticed there was a leak. Nothing leading up to this point indicated a leak.

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Oct 062013

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph up a curvy road, the contact depressed the brakes gently to make a turn and lost control of the vehicle. The contact stated that the vehicle swerved off the roadway and crashed into a tree. The vehicle was destroyed. The contact was not injured. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 190,000.

- Mongaup Valley, NY, USA

Aug 042013

Liberty 6-cyl

Ignition switch failed without warning while transporting disabled person. Again!!!!! this is the 2nd time this same part has failed on this vehicle - it is a tiny, small "pot metal"/nylon part that is a weak link in this supposedly otherwise sturdy rig, and the only fix after all this time of repeated failures is to replace the entire steering column, rather than only the offending part, again. This year, the part lasted for far less time than the original part - for only 4 years and 48,000 mi. It is a dangerous situation when a careful and conscientious driver is unable to rely on a vehicle used to Transport a wheelchair-bound person. This Jeep is a one-owner vehicle and is regularly maintained and cared for by the dealership and other authorized service centers. (in 2009, it took months to get the part) this issue should be considered for recall. The thing is not going to explode and kill someone, but leaving occupants vulnerable (with no warning) is still a serious security issue.

- Langley, WA, USA

Jun 302013

Liberty 6-cyl

On Sunday 6/30 I was at the pharmacy around my residense in phila, pa. When I pull out of the parking lot to go into the street with the traffic to go back home. The car started making this screening noise and it felt like when I would give it gas it would not respond. I tried a little bit of gas and then it made a big soun D like an explosion and it lock in the middle of the street. It would not go forward or backwards. It felt like it just drop to the floor and it felt as thou the tires fell off the car.... I had to get a tow truck to tow it away, no matter how much we would work on it. It wouldnt respond. I had just gotten the recall notice and had taken this car to a Chrysler dealer to get the replacement part they had sent notice recalling 2002-2007 Jeep. Three weeks before. I need help. I dont want to get back behind this car. It was scary and once before it had locked up on my in the middle of the highway. I thought I was going to be in a crash.

- Phila, PA, USA

Apr 012013

Same as some of the other complaints; vehicle refused to start. Random at first, the wouldn't start at all. Towed to dealer and entire steering column has to be replaced to fix one small part, which is on backorder. Will contact the manufacturer tomorrow to complain, doubt it will help. I have seen multiple complaints with this issue, Jeep should do something about it! $800 in repairs. Last Jeep/Chrysler I will ever own. I don't have the VIN right now, as the vehicle and registration are at the shop.

- Panama City, FL, USA

Nov 092011

Liberty 6-cyl

Car suddenly turned left on 6-lane busy street, accelerated, crossed 2 lanes on left, immediately accelerated & hit 6-lane highway divider at 45 degree angle.. bounced up. Perched there for a awful second then tipped down on opposite road. Engine still maxed & uncontrollable.. car turned gently over on roof because engine still at max. Turned it off fearing fire. Wife and I sat there upside down in our belts till the emts came. Researched on internet & found articles by at least 3 Jeep dealers sternly telling drivers to get their rear differential pinion gears adjusted if they mounted oversize tires. Our car had oversized tires when we bought it used. No Jeep company warnings. Were issued Jeep or by dealer. Found 1 terrifying article of a driver who slid to the left without steering control and was struck by an oncoming truck. I've driven about 2 million miles without ever being chg'd w/contributing to an accident..

- Charleston , SC, USA

May 292012

Liberty 6-cyl

I attempted to start the car but the starter wouldn't turn over. I checked the fuses and relays for the ignition system, and everything was ok. I had to have the car towed to the dealer. The dealer told me that the entire steering column had to be replaced, because 2 tabs which held the ignition switch were broken. I've searched online sites and find that there seems to be all kinds of problems with the steering column and ignitions switches on the Jeep Liberty. Cost of this "minor" repair $600 plus towing. Mileage 82K.

- Budd Lake, NJ, USA