2005 Jeep Liberty electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jeep Liberty:

2005 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 032013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the air bag warning indicator illuminated. The contact stated that the rear window would open independently. The contact also stated that while driving and attempting to make a turn, the vehicle would make an abnormal noise from the undercarriage. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Greensburg, LA, USA

Oct 182015

Liberty

Electric windows fail often. Rear suspension bearings fail causing loss of control. Ball joint fail wearing tie rod and causing loss of control. While driving the vehicle rear end will swerve uncontrollably and suddenly.

- Gary, TX, USA

Jan 312012

Liberty

The contact owned a 2005 Jeep Liberty. While driving at 25 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact mentioned that the lights on the instrument panel started to flicker and an odor of smoke emitted from the front of the vehicle. Shortly afterwards, the vehicle caught fire and was extinguished by the fire department. There were no injuries reported. The vehicle was destroyed. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Macungie, PA, USA

Aug 102015

Liberty

Suspension issue. It appears that the front end to be coming loose. Lots of noise such as grinding, etc. I stopped at garage and had them out it on a lift for inspection. The determination was that the front, left and right, upper and lower ball joints are defective. Upon inspection by the mechanic, and by me visually, it appears to be premature wear. Mechanic suspects a product defect, as do I. I checked NHTSA official site for recalls. Multiple recalls for this suspension issue. Seat belt driver's side latching mechanism between the seat and console sticks intermittently. Sometimes it takes multiple efforts to disconnect the seal belt so that driver may exit the vehicle. Dealer claims there are no recalls on this item and no warranty. Current mileage on vehicle is 74,400 miles. Electrical power window assemblies. All four assemblies have been replaced. During the first year of ownership (bought new in 2005) both left and right front window assemblies were replaced under warranty, since then all four assemblies (front driver and passenger sides, and rear driver side and passenger side have been replaced at the expense of the owner. This is a multiple occurring problem and in my estimation seems to be a product design and manufacturing problem.

- Windermere, FL, USA

Dec 132013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the check engine light remained illuminated and the fuel gauge malfunctioned. The contact was made aware that the VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure); however, the part needed to do the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer had exceeded a reasonable amount of time to do the recall repair. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Binghamton, NY, USA

Jun 052015

Liberty

On 6/5/2015, while on the freeway, the dashboard went crazy. Engine and airbag lights flashed, fuel, temperature, and speed gauges went dead (zero), air conditioning stopped. I drove straight to the elk grove dealership's service department. They were unable to find what was wrong. Unable to duplicate the problem and the computer memory did not showed them anything. They performed the 120K service instead. On 6/18/2015, while driving at 15mph it happened again. This time, I pulled to the side of the road and took a video of the dashboard, and again drove to the elk grove dealership. As of today, they have been unable to diagnose/find what is wrong. They know is a control module, but do not know which one. Since other Jeep models experiencing similar problems have been subject to recall, I want to know why not for the 2005 model. I fear for my safety and the safety of drivers around me should this control module kills the engine while I am on the freeway. I have been without transportation while the car is held hostage for observation. This module has a factory or design defect that needs to be corrected by Jeep!

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jan 292009

Liberty

I have had numerous issues with this vehicle. I have had to replace the cooling fan, three window motors, the alternator, head gaskets, the fuel pump sensor is broken, the oil sensor is broken, when I pump gas it spills out, the radiator, the electrical system on both the left and right side. The tail lights don't work properly and I have replaced both the lights and fuses as well as the sockets numerous times. These are just the things I can think of off the top of my head. I've spent thousands of dollars, literally, on this car. I feel like it's a death trap waiting to happen and can't wait until I am able to purchase something else, it won't be a Jeep product. Jeep doesn't care if you have numerous issues with their product. When I first started having issues I called the dealership I purchased from to talk to my salesman and I was asked what my mileage was. I was right around 48,000 miles, I was put off numerous times and told he would be who I would need to deal with. After I hit the 50,000 mark they informed me he had been murdered and I was not out of warranty. Each passing day seems to bring new problems with this vehicle. I just thought someone should finally know. I'm also not counting the recalls in on my list of issues.

- Hampton, GA, USA

Feb 032014

Liberty

The driverside front window just fell down and I couldn't get it to roll back

- South Boston, VA, USA

Jul 032014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

I was coming home the day before the holiday. It was a busy day around 4:30 pm. I began heading down the heel and the car just turned off. I was unable to restart, steer, brake or control any aspect of the car. Unfortunately when the car stopped, it threw me forward into the dash. Fortunately, the gentleman that was in front of me saw me waving and yelling I couldn't stop and risked his life by pulling in front of the oncoming traffic to allow my car to continue soaring down the hill. Once I reached the bottom of the hill, my vehicle came to rest between two lanes of a four lane road. Mind you this road has hills coming from both ways. Fortunately again, a tow truck driver came along and stopped traffic until he could safely tow me into my driveway (free of charge). When I tried starting the vehicle again it ran like it was about to blow up and rattled something terrible. I contacted Chevrolet and they explained that they had never heard of any such situation regarding my type of vehicle. However, as the stories began spilling into the media, it was like reliving that moment over and over again, but unfortunately for some their situation didn't turn out as well. How long will this major motor company be able to risk human lives just to make a profit. Why don't they just admit that they used defective parts to make a big profit and it has now back fired.

- Akron, OH, USA

Nov 102014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

I went to start my Jeep and it caught on fire under the hood. Also, it sometimes doesn't start, when it does and I'm driving, it stalls in the middle of traffic. This happens when I'm in the middle of making a left turn and I'm afraid I'm going to get hit! it mostly happens when it's raining or a lot of moisture in the air. It pulls and hesitates while I'm driving as well. My insurance paid for the damage when I had the fire, but I'm now learning that it's a big issue with Jeep. I have 3 children and I'm afraid for their safety. I can't afford a new vehicle.

- Halethorpe, MD, USA

Jun 012005

Liberty

We purchased our Jeep Liberty in 2005 and since then the window regulator as failed in every window at least 2 times and in a couple of them 3 times. We have spent hundreds of dollars getting them repaired and they continue to break. My wife was driving today traveling around 50 mph and the front right passenger window fell into the door. I contacted Chrysler and they won't do anything. I believe this problem to be extremely pervasive around the country and Chrysler refuses to issue a recall. Please help.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jul 162014

Liberty 6-cyl

A slight bump to the ignition switch caused it to shut off. A stop and restart turned on the car without issue.

- Austin, TX, USA

Nov 292013

Liberty 6-cyl

Received recall notice on my Liberty. Went into local service dealer as they stated recall was due. Dealer then stated they had no parts, no technical data or guidance on this particular recall. Additionally, if this vehicle sits for over two days will not start (battery dies). Multiple batteries installed, charging system, no known electrical shorts or errant computer codes. Chrysler will not address issue because it is out of warranty.

- Punta Gorda, FL, USA

Jun 272014

Liberty

I have had numerous problems starting my Jeep. Every time I have this problem I take it to dealer to find out it is the same thing everytime. I'm told it is the ignition actuator switch. There I'd a little pin in it that if you put your key in slightly the wrong way you can break one of those pins. I have had this fixed and then I have no problem starting my Jeep for a while. Well then it all happened again the other day. Again it was the ignition actuator switch. I have read a lot of places and my dealer has told me that this is a very common problem in these Jeep. I really feel there should be a recall on this product and a better replacement should be available. I'm sick of spending $100 on this part every year or two.

- New Bethlehem, PA, USA

Dec 182013

Liberty 4-cyl Diesel

Fuel was leaking out of the fuel filter head at the fuel heater electrical connection. The plastic around the fuel heater connecter had scorch marks. Vehicle stalled while pulling out of the garage due to air pulling into the fuel system through the electrical connection. Known issue for this vehicle type/model. Possible fire hazard and stalling potential. Have to replace the fuel filter head.

- Hubert, NC, USA

Oct 082011

Liberty 4-cyl Diesel

Driving 2005 Jeep Liberty crd (turbo diesel) on highway and engine cut out completely without any warning. All dash lights flashed on and off, asd light remain illuminated. Coasted to shoulder. Engine would not start. Towed to dealership, they replaced fuel pump fuse. Claimed they could find no cause for the blown fuse. Exactly the same asd cut out repeated over next four months, once more at highway speed, once in parking lot. Different fuses blown and replaced each time. Finally dealer traced to frayed wiring in engine compartment. Taped wires, no further asd cut outs. Technician stated he would never drive a Liberty outside of city as wiring harness routinely frays due to tight fit over mental body and components in original construction. Claimed very common and very difficult to find or correct as most wiring is inaccessible behind body panels. Claims Jeep is well aware, he claims entire harness should be replaced with longer harness and thicker insulation. Extremely dangerous as cut out is instantaneous and occurs without warning.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Jan 012013

Liberty 6-cyl

I've been made aware of the possible recall regarding the fuel tanks - and I always have a gas odor in my car. It is usually much stronger after I fill my tank but I always have a gas odor. Also I have the passenger back window down like many other owners.

- Brooklawn, NJ, USA

Dec 012010

Liberty

TL - the contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that all four windows would open independently and without warning. The vehicle was taken to dealer. The technician stated that the window actuator broke and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 90,000. Kmj

- Polk City , FL, USA

Nov 282012

Liberty 6-cyl

Jeep will not start, dealer claims is a broken steel piece in the ignition in the steering column. The car has not had a accident or any other damage. Contacted Jeep corporate and they refuse any help due to mileage and age dealer cost for repair will be approx $700 for used. Need to replace the whole steering column. A new one will be approc $1300 and the part is not available and they have no estimated time of getting new part. They quoted it could months. This will be third time in less than 3 years the car is in the dealer for not starting. Each time it is a different repair. The steering column is not damaged.

- Hazlet, NJ, USA

Jun 012010

Liberty

Window regulator on rear driver's side door failed. Regulator failure prevented the rear driver's side door from opening and made the door inoperable as an exit.

- Arlington, TX, USA