2005 Jeep Liberty engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jeep Liberty:

2005 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 032013

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the air bag warning indicator illuminated. The contact stated that the rear window would open independently. The contact also stated that while driving and attempting to make a turn, the vehicle would make an abnormal noise from the undercarriage. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Greensburg, LA, USA

May 172015

In May 2015 the engine seized/failed on my 2005 Jeep Liberty limited which had 132,026 miles. Apparently, this is common for Jeep this old and with many miles on them. A remanufactured engine installed was about $4,500; not worth it.

- Florence, NJ, USA

Jan 312012

The contact owned a 2005 Jeep Liberty. While driving at 25 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact mentioned that the lights on the instrument panel started to flicker and an odor of smoke emitted from the front of the vehicle. Shortly afterwards, the vehicle caught fire and was extinguished by the fire department. There were no injuries reported. The vehicle was destroyed. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Macungie, PA, USA

Feb 012014

Pull out of driveway to stop sign. Pulled out into intersection and there was a loud bang followed by clanking noise. It turned out to be a blown engine. There was no warning, no check engine light. Engine was replaced. Now transmission is failing will file a separate complaint for that.

- Hewitt,, NJ, USA

Dec 132013

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the check engine light remained illuminated and the fuel gauge malfunctioned. The contact was made aware that the VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure); however, the part needed to do the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer had exceeded a reasonable amount of time to do the recall repair. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Binghamton, NY, USA

Jun 222015

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. While driving various speeds, the engine warning light continuously illuminated. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the engine misfired. As a result, the spark plugs and engine air filter needed to be replaced. The oil was changed as well; however, the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer because it shook while driving. The dealer stated that the psi was very low. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 160,000.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jan 292009

I have had numerous issues with this vehicle. I have had to replace the cooling fan, three window motors, the alternator, head gaskets, the fuel pump sensor is broken, the oil sensor is broken, when I pump gas it spills out, the radiator, the electrical system on both the left and right side. The tail lights don't work properly and I have replaced both the lights and fuses as well as the sockets numerous times. These are just the things I can think of off the top of my head. I've spent thousands of dollars, literally, on this car. I feel like it's a death trap waiting to happen and can't wait until I am able to purchase something else, it won't be a Jeep product. Jeep doesn't care if you have numerous issues with their product. When I first started having issues I called the dealership I purchased from to talk to my salesman and I was asked what my mileage was. I was right around 48,000 miles, I was put off numerous times and told he would be who I would need to deal with. After I hit the 50,000 mark they informed me he had been murdered and I was not out of warranty. Each passing day seems to bring new problems with this vehicle. I just thought someone should finally know. I'm also not counting the recalls in on my list of issues.

- Hampton, GA, USA

Nov 102014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

I went to start my Jeep and it caught on fire under the hood. Also, it sometimes doesn't start, when it does and I'm driving, it stalls in the middle of traffic. This happens when I'm in the middle of making a left turn and I'm afraid I'm going to get hit! it mostly happens when it's raining or a lot of moisture in the air. It pulls and hesitates while I'm driving as well. My insurance paid for the damage when I had the fire, but I'm now learning that it's a big issue with Jeep. I have 3 children and I'm afraid for their safety. I can't afford a new vehicle.

- Halethorpe, MD, USA

Sep 132014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

2010 engine shut down with only 105,000 miles. I had replaced the egr valve covered under warranty when check engine light came on. Performed regular oil changes up until the engine failed. New replacement engine was installed in 2010. In septemeber 2014 engine failed again on the highway going 55 mph. Engine was diagnosed by Chrysler dealer as engine failure due to over heated rocker arm, cam shaft and lifters. Chrysler is not offering any assistance this second time around. I am also out $1060 dollars payable to the dealer for their diagnosis telling me something I already knew. Chrysler customer service had told me to take it to the dealer before they would discuss any potential financial assistance. Now that the diagnosis is engine failure they are not willing to provide any aide. Information I have been gathering indicates this was not a good engine in either the 2005 or 2006 Liberty. I need some help pursing help from Chrysler. Please advise.

- Jessup, MD, USA

Sep 132014

2005 Jeep Liberty with diesel engine. Original engine died with only 110,000 miles. Chrysler offered no assistance. This fall less than four years later the new replacement engine failed with only 62,000 miles. I was instructed by Chrysler corporate customer service to send car to Chrysler dealer before they would discuss my issues. The Chrysler dealer I was told to use broke down the engine only to tell me their diagnosis is "engine is blown" Chrysler then refused to assist and I'm out $1060 for a diagnosis I didn't need. I knew my engine was blown the day it happened. I am looking for some assistance on repairs and don't think I'm out of line thinking Chrysler should pay for all repairs but I'm being realistic in thinking they won't.

- Jessup, MD, USA

Nov 122014

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while driving at 10 mph, a loud knocking sound emitted from the under carriage. The contact stated that when attempting to make a right turn, the vehicle failed to turn. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the right ball joint failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 86,000.

- Fontana , CA, USA

Oct 152014

Liberty 6-cyl

My girlfriend of 21 years, went into the doctor and when she came out her Jeep Liberty would start and then stall. She said there was clunking noise from the engine. I get there and call aaa and have it towed to a plus transmission and auto repair in brighton Michigan. They said the rocker arm came lose from the adjuster and that should fix the problem. Not so, turns out it was a broken valve seat also that had dropped down into the cylinder causing catastrophic engine failure. We are left with the expense of replacing the engine at a cost to us of $5600. This is a known problem with the Chrysler 3.7 V6 engine. It happens just after the warranty expires. With todays technology I believe that engine should have had lasted up to 200000 miles. Since we cant afford a new car this is the only way we can go. However, I believe Chrysler should help with the expense of this. Never will I buy from Chrysler again.

- Pinckney, MI, USA

Apr 012014

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the check engine warning light illuminated. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- St John , MI, USA

Apr 062014

Pulley rubber separated between the harmonic balancer and serpentine pulley leaving me with no steering fortunately we were within half a mile of home.

- Warsaw, NY, USA

Nov 162013

Liberty 6-cyl

When slowing down in bumper to bumper traffic the vehicle will accelerate at a high speed. Vehicle must be placed in neutral until engine decelerates. This has occurred approx. 5 times. It always is unexpected, and always occurs when moving slowly in bumper to bumper traffic. If the brake is depressed during the acceleration the rear wheels will spin. The car must be placed in neutral. The acceleration lasts for about 5 seconds. The dealer cannot find the problem. The car is maintained and operates perfectly, except for this problem. It is an accident waiting to happen. Please help!

- Warwick, RI, USA

Jan 292014

Liberty 6-cyl

Went to start my car in the morning and the oil light came on, and a loud knocking from under the hood. Checked all fluids and everything was fine. Oil light finally went off and while driving, the vehicle lost all power and had to be towed to the dealership. A diagnostic test was performed and the result was a blown engine. Service tech said they flushed oil from engine and it was filled with metal. All maintenance was up to date and is documented at dealership.

- Van Wert, OH, USA

Jan 272014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Hard start and then engine light came on. Obdii code P302, changed spark plug and coil. Engine knocks and runs rough. Possible valve issue. The consumer stated too much time has gone by, since he received the recall notice regarding the installation of the trailer hitch. Chrysler informed the consumer the parts were not available. However, the consumer had talked to a couple of mechanics who dealer with trailers and hitches and they have the parts either in stock or readily available. Updated 06/19/14

- Honey Brook, PA, USA

Dec 172013

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the transmission independently shifted out of four-wheel drive mode without warning. The contact maneuvered to the side of the road as flames ignited from under the hood. The contact exited from the vehicle safely and the fire department extinguished the massive flames. A police report was filed of the incident. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to a salvage facility. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 69,000....updated 02-28-14 the consumer stated the E-mail address is incorrect.

- Kapaa , HI, USA

Oct 082011

Liberty 4-cyl Diesel

Driving 2005 Jeep Liberty crd (turbo diesel) on highway and engine cut out completely without any warning. All dash lights flashed on and off, asd light remain illuminated. Coasted to shoulder. Engine would not start. Towed to dealership, they replaced fuel pump fuse. Claimed they could find no cause for the blown fuse. Exactly the same asd cut out repeated over next four months, once more at highway speed, once in parking lot. Different fuses blown and replaced each time. Finally dealer traced to frayed wiring in engine compartment. Taped wires, no further asd cut outs. Technician stated he would never drive a Liberty outside of city as wiring harness routinely frays due to tight fit over mental body and components in original construction. Claimed very common and very difficult to find or correct as most wiring is inaccessible behind body panels. Claims Jeep is well aware, he claims entire harness should be replaced with longer harness and thicker insulation. Extremely dangerous as cut out is instantaneous and occurs without warning.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Sep 222013

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The contact was driving 10 mph and noticed that the temperature gauge was rising. The vehicle was towed to a dealer for inspection. The dealer discovered that the cooling fan module had melted and the cooling fan assembly would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified about the incident. The contact stated that the compressor, radiator and cooling fan assembly all have been replaced numerous times. The approximate failure mileage was 215,000.

- Brooklet, GA, USA