2005 Jeep Liberty fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jeep Liberty:

2005 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 4 of 9)

Sep 292006

Liberty

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. While attempting to refuel the vehicle, fuel splattered all over the contact's clothing and shoes and spilled down the side of the vehicle. The failure occurred several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50.

- Haymarket, VA, USA

Sep 262014

Liberty 6-cyl

I have received 3 of the same recall notices (N46 / NHTSA 13V-252) from Chrysler dating back to 3/2014. I have followed the notices directions by contacting two of my local dealers to obtain parts and service. Each time I call (usually every 2 weeks), I am told that parts are not available yet and to keep checking back. I believe that this resolution is taking more than a "reasonable amount of time" as it is now almost October. I am trying to be patient, but if this defect was important enough to trigger a recall, it's important enough for Chrysler to make these parts available asap. My family's safety is very important to me and I feel like Chrysler is abandoning their customers and dealers.

- Apopka, FL, USA

Apr 012014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure). However, the parts to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 152014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Safety recall on vehicle, received notice to repair, made appointment with ellis Jeep, canoga park, ca. When I arrived at ellis Jeep they did not have the part required and made many excuses excluding why they did not notify by phone they did not have the part and to reschedule. I took my ride away and returned home. I then called van nuys Jeep and told them the problem, the service manager was very kind and asked if I could bring the Jeep to them and he would squeeze it in that day. I drove over to that dealership and the manager found a way to deal with the repair within two hours. Praise is deserved by van nuys Jeep and disgrace upon ellis Jeep.

- Granada Hills, CA, USA

Jan 022014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure). However, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Weedville, PA, USA

Jul 012014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign id number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure). However, the part needed was unavailable. The dealer stated that the vehicle could not be repair for three months because the parts were not available. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The vehicle had not experience the failure.

- O'fallon , IL, USA

Sep 172014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure). However, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.the VIN was not available.

- Lower Burrell, PA, USA

Jun 042013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 ( fuel system, gasoline, structure ) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Brinkhaven, OH, USA

Sep 152014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Received notice on N46 recall that hitch was available to install to take care of gas tank issue. Called local dealer lochmandy motors of elkhart Indiana to set up date and time. I was told it was a class 2 hitch with a 2" receiver. I said I was removing my old hitch that was getting rusty. He said he had to order part and I will have to make the appointment when it came in. It came in and I made the appointment for install and again questioned the rating and received the same answer. I stopped in 3 days before my appointment to take a look at the hitch and I was shown the hitch and was told it is not meant to be used to tow. I questioned this and was told he knows I tow and and long as I do not try to tow as big as a house like some people do, then I should be fine. I was again told it was a class 2 and we both mentioned we see the 2" receiver. On day of install I called Chrysler main office directly to find out the ratings and they said "no" it not meant to be used to tow and it is just structural. She said the dealer knows this and they have a tag they place on the hitch after install stating this and I must sign off on this. At the time I looked at the hitch at the dealer before install he said there is no tag and 1 will placed on it after install. I called lochmandy motors right back and told them to remove it from my Jeep. The public and NHTSA are being mislead by Chrysler and the dealer and some one is going to get hurt trying to tow with this unit. How many people with disregard the label or have it removed and then the next owner pays the price. Chrysler knows this will happen. I will again have to spend money for an aftermarket part to fix a Chrysler fatal death issue.

- Elkhart, IN, USA

Sep 122014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. After refueling the vehicle, the contact noticed fuel leaking from the fuel tank. Due to the failure, the odor of fuel was present in and around the vehicle. The contact notified the authorized dealer several times and was waiting for a remedy to be determined. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The dealer was unable to provide a specific date for when the part would become available. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Handben, CT, USA

Sep 112014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

My Jeep Liberty is included in the massive Jeep recall of vehicles that may experience a fire in the event of a rear end collision. I would like to know how much longer I have to wait to receive the replacement equipment, or do I need to leave my family with instructions to file a lawsuit in the event that I am involved in an accident and burned to death in my car.

- Derby, KS, USA

Sep 092014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

I am a fleet manager with the Colorado department of transportation. We possess several of these recalled vehicles. The recall states that the fuel tank is vulnerable to fuel leakage in the event of a rear end collision. Chrysler's fix is to install a trailer hitch to serve as additional structural reinforcement. I received three recall notices some months ago. Those notices stated that at that time, Chrysler did not have sufficient parts to effect the repairs, but that they would contact us when the parts were in stock. We heard nothing from Chrysler, when I received notices for 15 more vehicles. I contacted cherry creek Dodge and was told that they had 5 hitches in stock. When my staff dropped off a vehicle for repair, they were told we would have to take them to Colorado Chrysler going forward. I called Colorado Chrysler to see if they had parts. I was told they did not, and they did not expect to see any until the end of October. They said they were not permitted to order any, and that they were limited to an automatic replenishment of 5 hitches per month. Needless to say, this is ridiculous. These vehicles have a safety issue, and the Chrysler dealers are dragging their feet on repairing them. Meanwhile, I have employees driving unsafe vehicles. I suspect that since the newest vehicles affected by this recall are 7 years old, they are being cynical and betting that most of these vehicles will be off the road soon, so if they can drag out the process it will save them money. This is completely unacceptable!

- Denver, CO, USA

Sep 082014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

I have yet to be contacted by the dealer about having this repair completed. When I called to inquire about a timeline for the repair, I was told "if you would have read the notice, you would know that they would contact you when they have the parts ".

- Grandview, TN, USA

May 012014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number 13V252000 (fuel system). However, the parts needed to perform the repair were not available. The dealer informed the contact that the parts should be available within 3 months. The contact recently called the dealer and was informed that the parts were still not available.

- Red Rock, AZ, USA

Jan 012014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. After refueling the vehicle, the fuel gauge indicator illuminated. The contact stated that less than ten gallons of fuel was inserted into the fuel tank in order for the fuel not to overflow. The dealer stated that the fuel pump module failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer stated that the VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure), but there was no remedy available for the recall. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000.

- Morrisville, NC, USA

Nov 202013

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Each time I try to fill up the gas tank, the tank overflows and gas spews onto the ground, onto the pump, and all over the car.

- Washington, DC, USA

Aug 062014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that when refueling the vehicle, fuel would spew out the filler neck as a result the contact would be covered in fuel. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where a technician advised that the fuel tank needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 204,000.

- Lowell, MI, USA

Jan 062014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification for NHTSA campaign id number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure). The contact was waiting for 8 months for the vehicle to be serviced under the recall repair but the dealer stated that the part was not available. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact did not experience a failure.

- Ridgeoey, WV, USA

Aug 222014

Liberty

I am complaining because like 2 years ago a recall was issued for my Jeep Liberty 2005, due to design defect of placing the fuel tank at the end of the vehicle. Supposed to be addressed by addition of a trailer hitch. I have heard nothing further in these 2 years. No notice of recall, no notice of how to get it worked on. How long can this be ignored by Chrysler? do they have any intention of abiding by the decision.

- Roswell, GA, USA

Aug 192014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure). However, the parts needed were not available. The contact mentioned that the manufacturer had exceeded the amount of time to remedy the problem. The manufacturer was made aware of the delay. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 10/07/14 updated 5/13/2015

- Tonawanda, NY, USA