2006 Jeep Liberty brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Liberty:

2006 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

Jul 152007

Liberty

I was in stop-and-go commute traffic traveling approximately 15 mph. Traffic started moving a little faster when the car in front of me braked hard, I pressed hard on the brake pedal and my Jeep lurched forward before braking hitting the car in front of me. The road was dry and there were no skid marks.the way the Jeep lurched forward it felt like the brake pads were worn out or the rotors were warped or the shocks were faulty. We had bought the Jeep Liberty new less than one year earlier. I was able to drive the Jeep home. That was a Friday and by Monday my stomach became so distended I could barely move. I had been in contact with kaiser advice nurses throughout the weekend and that Monday I was hospitalized. 2 weeks in the hospital resulted in the first of 3 surgeries that changed my life and my families life permanently. Surgery 1 was an illeostomy in July 2007, surgery 2 was J-pouch surgery in December 2007. Surgery 3 was abdominal reconstruction surgery in September 2013. I have permanent nerve damage in my stomach, painful scar tissues throughout my upper torso, a degenerating disc in my lower back and ongoing abdominal and hip pain. The physical and emotional toll this has had on my family is tremendous. My 2006 Jeep Liberty has been determined to be a lemon by the state of California.

- Pinole, CA, USA

Mar 122014

Liberty

Esp bas ABS lights keeping coming on and pulling to one side occasionally for unknown reason while lights are on. Numerous reports of the same problem on the internet from other 2006 Jeep Liberty owners.

- Florence, SC, USA

Dec 062012

Liberty

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken for routine maintenance and after inspection, the mechanic informed her that the rear backing plate, which covered the emergency brake from debris, had become rusted and corroded, detaching from the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified and a complaint was filed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 78,000.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Feb 012011

Liberty 6-cyl

Took car in for rear steering arm recall. Was having a recurrent shimmy on front drivers side and a squeaking noise. Had U joint bolts previously replaced and brakes and rotors replaced in late October 2011. Rotors again replaced in Feb.2012 due to warping and again replaced due to warping in Sept.2012. When I took the car in for rear steering control arm recall they found the same issue with the front passenger side control arm. Has anyone else had this problem" the front control arms have not been recalled. Less than a month has gone by and I am starting to feel a shimmy again. Do not feel safe in this car anymore. Car is garage kept and up to date with scheduled maintenance. Also part-time light on dash randomly flashes on and off. How long until the drivers side control arm needs to be replaced"

- Huntley, IL, USA