2006 Jeep Liberty brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Liberty:

2006 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

Apr 052016

Liberty

At 44,143 in Dec 2009 I had 4 new tires and rear disc pads replaced. In July 2012, about mileage 54000, while driving in town, the left rear wheel speed sensor failed causing loss of ABS, esp, and cruise control. I had dealer repair. At 67,642, in April 2016, I noticed the rear disc rotors were caked with a crusty rust and it appeared that the brake pads were worn out.. the rear brakes could not have been working. The dealer put on new rotors, calipers, pads, and flushed the system. The rusty rotors could not be turned to reuse, the calipers were both "stuck" and the brake fluid was "black". I also had the front rotors turned and new pads installed. The ABS, esp, and cruise control still lights up on the dash for a minute then goes out by itself, leading me to totally distrust the system. I have never seen brake rotors so rusted in my 65 years.

- Ellsinore, MO, USA

Mar 252016

Liberty

Parking break mounting plate attachments have sheared separating the the parking break assembly from the axel housing rendering the break useless on both sides of the vehicle. Cause of failure unknown but the issue appears systematic with the vehicle and is not easily repaired.

- Carmel, IN, USA

Aug 112015

Liberty

The contact owned a 2006 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the gear shift would not engage into drive and the vehicle started making a roaring noise. The contact's vehicle lunged forward and struck the preceding vehicle. The brakes seized and the pedal was all the way down to the floor. The police filed a report. There were no injuries. The vehicle was towed to an impound lot. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 137,000. Updated 05/11/16

- Lexington, NC, USA

Nov 072015

Liberty

The vehicle was in need of new brakes, rotors, parking brake shoes and hardware at 93000 miles. A grinding noise from the rear drivers side braking system was present when in motion and assumed to be warped rotors. When the rotors were removed it was found that the parking brake backing plate and the bolts that secure it have rusted to the extent that the plate is loose and no longer secured, which makes the parking brake defective and is a serious safety concern. This appears to be a very common problem and for a vehicle under 10 years old and 100000 miles to have parts rust so severely that they fail is an issue that Chrysler should address, as it is obvious that this part was not made to last.

- Marion, VA, USA

Sep 102015

Liberty

ABS system goes out which in turn makes the cruise control go out. Then when you use the vehicle again the ABS is on so is the cruise control but the brakes don't work well and grab. Then when you are using the lights at night it dims for no reason inside and out. Still waiting on the fix for the rear end fuel tank issue

- Alachua, FL, USA

Sep 022015

Liberty

ABS, bas/esp, tcs indicator lights illuminate, vehicle loses power, brakes are applied ( most likely right front as car pulls to right) releasing throttle cancels the braking. As throttle is reapplied same action is repeated. So far it has only occurred at speeds< 35 mph. Should it occur in slippery road conditions it most likely result in loss of control.in researching the problem on the internet, it seems to be or is becoming a more common occurence which fca is not addressing. If you read the other complaint of the same problem it dates back a few years, yet there doesn't seem to be anything done to correct it. Some complainants say they have been unable to have it corrected even at Jeep dealerships, others report it's something called the clock spring that is causing the problem and the parts to repair it aren't available. Having just recently had fca's gas tank solution corrected, I hope a fix for this won't take as long. I neglected to say this was not a one-time event in as much as it happens now on an almost daily basis. A local shop checked for fault codes but there were none in memory; I have it scheduled for further tests 09/16/2015.

- Bellingham, WA, USA

Aug 252015

Liberty

The pain on the outside roof is peeling, I do live in a state where the roads are salted however, there is no salt used on the top of the vehicle, this, while not a new vehicle should not be peeling the way it is. The front windshield had a severe chip & the installer was barely able to sand this area down enough to be able to seal the windshield. I have done some research & this is a very common problem along with the rear window regulators both of which have had to be replaced. There are problems with the emergency break & the Jeep dealership gives one reason for the ABS, esp among other wheel and breaking issues. And now the one thing that Jeep is finally supposed to be doing something about rather than me having to put more money into this vehicle for, the gas tank recall seems to be a ridiculous fix, and I have been on a waiting list for this for months and still have not been able to get it in to get this fixed. I saw a news story that said that Chrysler was being mandated to fix these very poorly made vehicles. I would like to know how this particular vehicle does not fall into the other recalls when it has been having the same issues. I have been having breaking system issues as long back as 13 months after I purchased this vehicle.

- Oregon, WI, USA

Jan 022014

Liberty

The clock spring on this 2006 Jeep Liberty has been broken for more than two years. This has disabled the ABS system, vehicle stability program and the driver's airbag. This is a known problem to Jeep and they are doing nothing about it. They just continue to say the part is on back order. This is unsafe and someone must force a mandatory immediate solution in the last 2 months alone since May 2015 the backorder has grown from 500+ to 700+ and now Chrysler won't even return my call

- Newport Beach, CA, USA

Jul 152007

Liberty 6-cyl

I was in stop-and-go commute traffic traveling approximately 15 mph. Traffic started moving a little faster when the car in front of me brake hard, I pressed hard on the brake pedal and my Jeep lurched forward before braking hitting the car in front of me. The road was dry and there were no skid marks.the way the Jeep lurched forward it felt like the brake pads were worn out or the rotors were warped or the shocks were faulty. We had bought the Jeep Liberty new less than one year earlier. I was able to drive the Jeep home. That was a Friday and by Monday my stomach became so distended I could barely move. I had been in contact with kaiser advice nurses throughout the weekend and that Monday I was hospitalized. 2 weeks in the hospital resulted in the first of 3 surgeries that changed my life and my families life permanently. Surgery 1 was an illeostomy in July 2007, surgery 2 was J-pouch surgery in December 2007. Surgery 3 was abdominal reconstruction surgery in September 2013. I have permanent nerve damage in my stomach, painful scar tissues throughout my upper torso, a degenerating disc in my lower back and ongoing abdominal and hip pain. The physical and emotional toll this has had on my family is tremendous. My 2006 Jeep Liberty has been determined to be a lemon by the state of California.

- Pinole, CA, USA

Mar 122014

Liberty

Esp bas ABS lights keeping coming on and pulling to one side occasionally for unknown reason while lights are on. Numerous reports of the same problem on the internet from other 2006 Jeep Liberty owners.

- Florence, SC, USA

Dec 062012

Liberty

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken for routine maintenance and after inspection, the mechanic informed her that the rear backing plate, which covered the emergency brake from debris, had become rusted and corroded, detaching from the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified and a complaint was filed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 78,000.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Feb 012011

Liberty 6-cyl

Took car in for rear steering arm recall. Was having a recurrent shimmy on front drivers side and a squeaking noise. Had U joint bolts previously replaced and brakes and rotors replaced in late October 2011. Rotors again replaced in Feb.2012 due to warping and again replaced due to warping in Sept.2012. When I took the car in for rear steering control arm recall they found the same issue with the front passenger side control arm. Has anyone else had this problem" the front control arms have not been recalled. Less than a month has gone by and I am starting to feel a shimmy again. Do not feel safe in this car anymore. Car is garage kept and up to date with scheduled maintenance. Also part-time light on dash randomly flashes on and off. How long until the drivers side control arm needs to be replaced"

- Huntley, IL, USA