4.0

2006 Jeep Liberty fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Liberty:

2006 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

Jul 042008

Liberty

Numerous mechanical problems all dash lights come on at once between 15 - 50 mph dealer replaced body control module lights still come on now has more problems after repair by dealer. Several recalls on this leased vehicle running up miles back 2 dealer rear window fall down repaired motor tried 2 quit 3 times could be dangerous in traffic seems it loses prime on fuel system. Also excessive tire wear on front tires had it aligned myself was out from factory 10 deg. I have no confidence in dealer 2 fix since I have more problems after last visit. Horn doesn't sound on key pad door lock and fog lights stay on at highbeam after electrical work. Vehicle has locked me out when I shut doors 4 no apparent reason switch keys in ignition and motor running.

- Elkton , KY, USA

Jun 132008

Liberty

Read info online on www.lostkjs.com about issues with the fuel filter housing and fuel heater puck wire on my 2006 Jeep Liberty crd (diesel). I checked mine and noticed diesel fuel on the wiring and burn marks on the wire connector. This seems like a potential fire hazard. Due to the fuel leakage and scorching of wiring I will have to get both the fuel filter housing and plug replaced. Based upon the number of issues I have read about this seems like a design flaw that needs to be recalled.

- Avilla, IN, USA

Jun 082008

Liberty 4-cyl

2006 Jeep Liberty crd fuel filter separator heater element evidence of pending failure and leak and fire hazard; browning of plug contact and air in system due to some sort of slow leak. This makes element overheat in aforementioned air - as it was designed to be submerged in fuel - and will melt thermoplastic plug element fitting, causing leak, which will dribble onto hot areas below - if gases not ignited by heating element first in air/fuel space created by air leak - and potentially cause fire and death.

- Provo, UT, USA

Jun 012007

Liberty 4WD 4-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. While driving between 50- 65 mph, the vehicle hesitated without warning. The contact smelled fuel inside the passenger compartment twice. The dealer inspected the vehicle and found no failures. The failure mileage was 34,000 and current mileage was 38,792.

- Chesnee , SC, USA

Aug 172007

Liberty 4WD 4-cyl Diesel

2006 Jeep Liberty diesel with 14,500 miles. Engine dies 10-15 seconds after start. Fuel system must be primed with pump on fuel filter head in order to restart engine. Fuel is seeping from the fuel heater electrical connector located on the filter assembly. Dealer replaced fuel filter assembly as a warranty repair.

- Stevens Point, WI, USA

Aug 142007

Liberty 4WD 4-cyl Diesel

Our Jeep Liberty diesel as been running terribly lately, and then stalled and would not start. After looking further into the cause, I found that the fuel filter head had a fuel leak at the electrical connection for the fuel heater. It appears that the heater is over heating and melting the non-metallic filter head where the connector penetrates and seals. The connector that plugs into the filter head is black around one of the pins. I have left the heater unplugged, and for now have sealed the leak with a fuel tank epoxy patch.

- Bellville, TX, USA

May 012007

Liberty 4WD 4-cyl Diesel

Air leak in fuel system. Requires regular purging. Could lead to an unsafe breakdown.

- Gwinn, MI, USA

Mar 012007

Liberty 4WD 4-cyl Diesel

While doing routine maintenance under the hood of the vehicle I noticed diesel fuel leaking out of the fuel heater connector located in the fuel filter housing. I pulled the connector off and found it partially damaged by excess heat at the connector terminal and wet with fuel. I left the connector disconnected from the housing until I had the dealer replace the filter housing assembly under warranty. The burned/damaged connector was not replaced by the dealership when the housing was replaced. I don't have the old housing, but I could take a picture of the damaged connector/terminal that was still on the vehicle. Also, I noticed that there was excess air in the filter housing before the replacement of the housing. After the housing was replaced there was still excess air, but not nearly as much as before. While the connector was off, and I was waiting for the replacement part the vehicle would not start 2 separate times because air was entering through the connector. I had to pump the primer that was installed on the filter housing to get the vehicle started both times.

- Loveland, CO, USA

Feb 072007

Liberty 4WD 4-cyl Diesel

After purchasing my diesel Jeep I noticed a shuddering in the transmission at about 55-65 miles an hour. Considerably worse with you decelerate after acceleration. In a construction hold on traffic my vehicle idled for about 10 minutes. When I was cleared to move forward I put the gear selector in drive. The Jeep stalled. It took me a several attempts to restart the motor. I have done extensive research and have come up with one answer. Air is in the fuel. I have taken it to a Jeep dealer in ozark Alabama and in dothan Alabama. Chrysler tells them that the air in my fuel system is ok. I demand to know what is a safe level of air allowed in the fuel system. No one has measured the amount of air in the fuel system. Please tell me so I can have it measured because I have volumes. I am afraid it will stall out on me again. I have had a few close calls when the Jeep hesitated and choked after a long light and a train crossing,

- Midland City, AL, USA

Feb 012007

Liberty 4WD 4-cyl Diesel

My wife contacted me this morning complaining the Jeep wouldn't start. I walked to where she was and checked out the engine. I noticed fuel around the fuel filter mount; I bled the fuel system and the vehicle started. I got it home and check a little further and noticed fuel leaking out of the fuel heater plug. I unplugged it and a small amount of fuel dumped out. I took it to the local dealer and had them order the part. The technician said it's ok to drive the Jeep until next week when the part arrives. Email update (6/25/2007): "...my replacement heater is overheating and leaking again."

- Hampton, VA, USA