2006 Jeep Liberty wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Liberty:

2006 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

Apr 162016

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. While driving 25 mph, the vehicle made a left turn and made an abnormal noise without warning. Once the vehicle came to a stop, the front passenger tire detached from the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Waunakee, WI, USA

Feb 062016

The Jeep was being driven by my granddaughter leaving her work at starbucks, when she tried to exit the parking lot the right front ball joint dropped out and the Jeep set down on the A-frame and stopped. Had this happened on the highway she could have been badly hurt or even killed. Chrysler has a recall on this specific problem for the 06 Jeep Liberty but insist that a recall is issued by VIN number, which does not make sense, the ball joint is a very bad design and the should recall all 2006 or later models with this condition.

- Lafayette, LA, USA

Dec 012015

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken for a scheduled tire rotation and the mechanic informed that the lug nuts on three of the tires had to be cut due to severe rust. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 167,000. The VIN was not available.

- Johnsburg, NY, USA

Jul 262015

The lower ball joint broke causing the frame and wheel to separate. The frame fell onto the tire. The rim was sliced completely in half. And the brand new tire was busted. It caused us to loose control of the vehicle. The vehicle feared of the road and landed ina ditch. We had to have a tow truck pick up the vehicle. It cost us 300 dollars to have the vehicle brought home. After getting home we found out the piece that broke, the lower ball joint, was part of the Jeep recall in 2006. I called Chrysler and they did admit that part was a recall fix in 2006. We are now waiting on Chrysler to call us back to let us know what we are suppose to do next. We are without a vehicle.

- Leakesville, MS, USA

Jul 142015

While driving there is a rambling sound coming from the front of my front of my vehicle, when I press on the breaks there is a grinding noise, I have taken my vehicle to southern Chrysler Jeep of greenbrier located in chesapeake, va and they advise the unit need front upper control arms and lower ball joints. According to contacting Chrysler the manufacture I was advise the part was inital change in 2007 and the current part (lower ball joints) is currently on back order. According to the dealer/service facility they stated there is approximate 500 lower ball joints on back order, I have contacted Chrysler via web chat and they confirm part is not available. I have express my fear of driving the vehicle due to issue and ask to be compensate for a car rental in which I was decline. I am complaining due to part stock availability is un-acceptable and I fear of driving this unsafe vehicle

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Feb 192015

I bought A2006 Jeep Liberty in August of 2014, been having problems with the tires, which keep seeping air and I have to put air in it every other day. When I press on the foot pedal the car jerks and it speeds up by itself. Couldn't get my key out after it was put in park. Press on brakes and still couldn't get them out. The shift lever moves without pressing on the button that supposed to lock it in place. The date that I put in is for the shift lever which still isn't fixed yet.the other things been going on since I bought the car.

- Rockfrod, IL, USA

Feb 192012

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The lower control arm and ball joint failed per F 23 recall of Jeep Chrysler and damaged the tire and rim which had to be replaced. We filed a claim with Chrysler customer assistance on Aug 20, 2014 and they were processing it and told us they would reimburse the $1146.83 not later than Oct 20, 2014. We had not heard anything from ccassistance so we telephoned today. Brad, the agent, could not find any record and also said that the recall was completed and that there would not be any reimbursement to us for the repairs we had to make. That is not in Accord with the recall and furthermore, the lower control arm and ball joints failed again on August 18, 2014 and the safford Chrysler Jeep Dodge of springfield Virginia replaced the control arms and ball joints on both the left and right side under a F23 recall warranty at no charge to us. We request that NHTSA contact Chrysler and require them to reimburse us for the $1146.83 which we paid out of pocket.

- Falls Church, VA, USA

Dec 022014

Liberty 6-cyl

We are the original owners of the Jeep Liberty 2006 that had a recall on the ball joints and stabilizer bars in 2006. Of course, we had the vehicle repaired when the Jeep was only a few months old. It may have had less than 1000 miles on it at the time. When visiting the dealer on Dec 2, 2014 for an oil change and tire balance. I was informed that the ball joints on driver's and passenger's side of Jeep were in need of replacement at a cost of $1100 (we only have 61,600 miles on Jeep) I was shocked that a vehicle that has been garage kept and only driven by the mom of the family around town of about 6000 miles a year could incur such a drastic problem. This is a valid safety issue with the integrity of the recall. The repair should have a lifetime warranty or at least 100K miles. There is absolutely no way, these ball joints disintegrated without being faulty from the being. My question lies if my vehicle was really taken care of, or was it just looked at because it was brand new at the time. Our Liberty has had full synthetic oil changes and treated with the utmost care. So it really saddens me that Chrysler has such "safety" issues. Of all things that can go wrong with a car, when it refers to a previous recall, it's obvious the issue was never really addressed.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Apr 152014

Liberty 4WD 4-cyl Diesel

As I had just exited the Florida's turnpike North bound at kendall drive in miami and attempted to enter the town and country mall at about 20 mph, the front passenger side ball joint of my 2006 crd 4X4 Jeep Liberty came apart causing the vehicle to lock the front wheel as the steering arm with part of the ball joint enter and landed inside the rim and the tire, perforating it and preventing the tire from turning causing the Jeep to almost buck like a horse sending us head first towards the windshield. Thankfully, it did not happen 45 seconds earlier when my family and I were on the express way driving 65 would have been catastrophic! this equipment/part failure is known as recall F-23 by Chrysler/Jeep and they are well aware of it!! I was never aware of such recall !! Chrysler/Jeep, after one month at their dealer continue to refuse to fix the collateral damage on the vehicle (rim, etc) created by their defective part!! using as an excuse that the factory warranty is over when it has nothing to do with that. Chrysler sent an "independent" inspector to view the vehicle. This "independent" inspector's bill is paid by Chrysler. This equipment failure is extremely dangerous!! and could be fatal!!! please help!! at this time I only want my Jeep fixed properly, and that Chrysler honors the traditional Jeep quality and commitment to their customers!! a letter has been sent to Chrysler claims after multiple attempts to solve this problem in person and via telephone. No results!! updated 06/04/14

- Miami, FL, USA

Mar 292014

Liberty 6-cyl

We purchased a used 2006 Jeep Liberty last year. Last night we went to drive it up the road and the right front passenger side tire disengaged from the steering knuckle and the ball joint disconnected. Luckily enough we weren't driving very fast otherwise it could have caused injury considering the tire is now almost at a 90 degree angle and we can't move the car. I understand the statute of limitations is 8 years after the original purchase date, I would like to know if I can get a manufacturer repair done free of charge, and would rather have it done at a dealer knowing they would have the correct parts. Normally my 1 year old is in the car, luckily he wasn't last night, but would like to know if I am entitled to repairs.

- Williamsburg, OH, USA

Apr 112013

Liberty 6-cyl

The lower and upper ball joints are deteriorating and cause inner wear on both front tires. The car had an alignment and new tires less than one year old. The accelerated inner wear and cupping resulted in a blowout. This is a safety issue. The Jeep Liberty has serious suspension problems. When I spoke to the Jeep/Chrysler cooperation, they were unwilling to assist in fixing the problem. When completing research, this seems to be a common problem with 2006 Jeep liberties. Jeep fails to recognize that the VIN model of Jeep has a defect in lower and upper balls joints for my model. I am very disappointed in the Jeep company for the lack of attention and assistance for such a major safety issue.

- Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Jan 112011

Liberty 6-cyl

The ball joint on the front left side broke, causing multiple damage. It occurred again February 2011 on the left side. Luckily, we were not driving at the time it occurred. Most recently, the front ball joint broke again causing $900 in damages. The Chrysler group has refused to take ownership of the recurring default.

- Rosedale, IN, USA

Jan 042010

Liberty 6-cyl

I have purchased 2 sets of tires. The first set was at about 65,000 when I noticed that the front tires were being worn on the inside. I've rotated my tires when required. The dealer suggested I get a front end alignment. I did that and had another set of tires put on the front end and those on the front rotated to the rear. Now, the new tires are showing wear on the inner part of the tires just like the others. The tire dealer suggested it may be the suspension. I notice there was a recall on 2006 Jeep for suspension. Why wasn't mine included?

- Martinsburg, WV, USA

Jul 162010

My wife drove into driveway I noted left rear wheel, smoking, when approached, could feel heat, because of relation two gas tank, sprayed wheel with water hose, with steam coming from wheel, took vehicle two Dodge /Jeep dealership, paris, Texas next day they kept vehicle three days, after ordering parts out of dallas, took vehicle home next week same problem, same time in shop, following week same problem, this time I requested Chrysler be notified as I was afraid of a fire, a week later and after over$ $800 in cost, no more problems, vehicle 2006 Jeep Liberty don, T know what repairs was made " what parts was replaced" I do not think they knew what the problem was as they ask permission to drive vehicle home at night, to assist with diagnosis of problem, never explained to me what was wrong.

- Paris, TX, USA

May 292007

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. On May 29, 2007, while driving 55 mph, the vehicle completely lost power. She stated that she was almost involved in a serious crash with several other vehicles. The contact stated that when she picked up the vehicle from the shop on June 6, 2007, it was not in the same working condition as before it was brought in for the fan belt recall repair. She stated that the wheels were loose and the air conditioner produced a burning smell when activated. The dealer remedied the recall, however, they stated that there were other potential failures that needed attention. The manufacturer has not offered any assistance. The contact stated that her vehicle is brand new and she has already received seven recall notices. The engine size was unknown. The current and failure mileages were 13,000. Updated 02-01-08 updated 02/01/08

- Bridgewater, CT, USA