4.8

2007 Jeep Liberty fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Liberty:

2007 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Oct 172016

Liberty

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that fuel spilled onto the ground when fuel was being placed in the fuel tank. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Mar 232015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 12V085000 (suspension) and 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure); however, the parts to do the repairs were not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Monahans, TX, USA

Feb 262016

Liberty

Almost every time I fill-up, there is a splash-back from the fuel filler opening. This apparently is a very common problem with the Liberty model among others. I spoke with the service department at the dealership and was told that I would need to pay for any repairs since there was no recall that would pay for it. I then contacted Chrysler who told me that my specific Liberty is not part of any recall or tsb so they cannot help. I believe this problem poses a hazard if the gas was to ignite. The most recent occurrence was on 26 February 2016.

- Germantown, MD, USA

Mar 102015

Liberty

Ever single time I fill up my gas tank it overflows. This is not anything new. The model of my car one year after has a fuel tank recall so why isn't there one for the 200 kj Jeep Liberty.

- Grove City, OH, USA

Jan 242016

Liberty

The gas tank is improperly designed, while pumping gas it will not properly shut off, will spray gas which is clearly dangerous.

- Sedalia, CO, USA

Dec 112013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure); however, the part to do the recall repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Neptune Beach, FL, USA

Dec 102015

Liberty

The filler neck in failing on my Jeep Liberty 2007 and it is a safety issue! when I fill up my tank with gas, the automatic shut off occurs and when I remove the nozzle, gas spits back at me. At first it would happen after the tank was full, now it is happening after only filling up 2 gal (when on empty!).

- Walnut Creek, CA, USA

Dec 152015

Liberty

Jeep is refusing to provide or manufacture the trailer hitch required to protect the fuel tank!

- Columbia, SC, USA

Oct 302015

Liberty

When refueling, gas spills out before the automatic shutoff occurs.

- El Dorado Hills, CA, USA

Dec 112013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure) and stated that the part was not available within a reasonable timeframe to schedule the recall repair. The dealer did not give a specific date for when the part would become available. The manufacturer could not provide an estimated date for when the vehicle would receive the recall repair. The contact was not experiencing a failure.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Aug 062015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that an aftermarket tow hitch was previously installed on the vehicle. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure); however, the dealer refused to remedy the recall. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Croff, SC, USA

Jan 102011

Liberty

Fuel discharges out of fuel filler neck while fueling. Fuel pours out all over the side of the car and does not automatically shut off.

- Arundel, ME, USA

Jun 122015

Liberty

I purchased a car from U.S. auto sales in columbia, South Carolina on June 12th 2015. The evening I took the car home the gas gauge was not at the empty mark and the car shut off and the check engine light came on. I took it back to the dealership and informed them of this and they proceeded to tell me that it is an ongoing Chrysler issue and to not let the gas tank to get below a quarter tank. They proceeded to reset the check engine light. 2 weeks later the check engine light came on again. So I took to a local auto store to have a diagnostics run and was informed that a wheel bearing was needed, a catalytic converter and a fuel line because at a certain level the gas will not reach the engine. Today in South Carolina the temperature is well over 100 degrees and while I was driving my air conditioner stopped working. I have had more issues out of this car within the 30 days I have had it. I did purchase a warranty only to be told that I would have to bear some of the cost to fix a vehicle I just purchased. I am now waiting on a call from their mechanic once he gets the parts in to do the repairs. I believe I was knowingly sold a lemon. I was also told that if I had any issues with the car to bring it in and I will be given a loaner car. Well when I did bring it in I was basically told to get in line and wait because they had no loaner vehicles. Now I am basically stuck with a vehicle with no air and if the gas get past a half tank the car will shut off and if not repaired soon could potentially blow up with me and my children in it. Yes I have called the dealer to request another vehicle and was basically brushed off and told no.

- West Columbia, SC, USA

Mar 202015

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

When pumping gas and it shuts off automatically gas spews out like a volcano from the gas tank. It's so bad that the gas attendant has had to come over and put absorbent material on top of the gas spill and we've had to wash down our car so it won't eat the paint. I contacted Jeep who told me there is no recall on this particular vehicle, but this is a problem with other Jeep models and there is a current recall on those models. It sounds like they need to expand their recall to include the 2007 Jeep Liberty's that have this problem. Thank you.

- Eagle, ID, USA

Apr 012008

Liberty

When filling the gas tank the sensor that indicates the tank is full is defective. When it shuts off the gas pump, gas spews out of the tank heavily, getting on auto, ground and person. I spoke to Chrysler about this problem and they said they are aware of this defect but have not issued a recall. They further advised that I would be responsible for all repair expenses if I choose to have the tank replaced. This is a serious defect that Chrysler should fix. The Jeep Liberty has poorly designed gas tanks, they spew gas upon filling and catch fire upon rear impact. Chrysler should be made to correct these issues and stop offering patches, I. E. hitches that help protect gas tanks in rear contact/impact under 40 mph, that don't protect the consumer from serious bodily harm and/or death. These risk need to eliminated, not pacified!

- Manassas Park, VA, USA

Mar 262015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Farrell, PA, USA

Mar 072015

Liberty 6-cyl

Fuel gushes out of tank everytime it is filled up. Happens at all gas stations. Needs to be recalled. Safety risk and also environmental risk.

- Crane, MO, USA

Jan 022012

Liberty 6-cyl

When pumping gas, fuel gushes out when refueling is done.

- Sheffield Lake, OH, USA

Feb 072015

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Every time I fill up for gas, the automatic shutoff is triggered too late and a significant amount of gas spills out of the car, soaking the side of the car, the pump handle, the ground around it, and anyone standing next to the tank. This creates a significant risk of fire, and is also harmful for the environment. There was no attempt to top off the tank.

- Madison, WI, USA

Apr 152014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that every time the vehicle was refueled, the fuel tank would overflow. The contact stated that the vehicle exhibited same failures listed in recall NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure). However, the VIN was not included. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where it was diagnosed that the fuel cap and evaporator hard line at the firewall needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 85,794. Updated 4/20/15

- Bethlehem , PA, USA