NHTSA — Unknown Or Other Problems

2008 Jeep Liberty (Page 2 of 2)

2.3

2008 Jeep Liberty miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Jeep Liberty:

2008 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Sep 192011

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

I have the slider sunroof and it flew backwards while going to work in September, 5 months after I had it. Took it to 3 car dealerships (one charged me $79 to look at it) to be told it had to be replaced and would be $2000. I requested help from Chrysler, the caseworker said she could help me and then I was denied. The slider sunroof is a hazard. I tried multiple things to have it repaired but there was no repair only to replace the whole thing. I had it strapped down, plastic and taped until I could get it fixed as with no top some water damage occurred and for a newer vehicle it looked terrible. While that worked for awhile the top again flew off totally just a few weeks ago. I turned it in to my insurance company as I did nothing to the top for it to malfunction as it did. I am getting it repaired now with so far just paying my deductible but am very worried it may happen again. It was a poor thought out idea as the top is just canvas with a few very small, thin metal rods that snapped apart when it flew backwards. I believe Chrysler should recall all the slider sunroofs and implement another idea for these. Also after seeing what they are made of and how these sunroofs are put together I don't believe they would protect very well if you did happen to flip the vehicle.

- Susquehanna, PA, USA

Dec 152011

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Thanks for this opportunity;; experienced exactly the identical rainwater flooding problem, from the right hinge above the hatchback of my 2008 Liberty, first saturating the cargo area, then moving forward saturating the front cabin floor! dealer wont fix!! ! removed seats and carpet, threw away padding, , replaced padding cleaned carpet, removing back hatch, and putting gaskets under hinges! good thing im handy and ex-navy!! please take all kuddos away from Jeep Inc!! P.S. someone tried to silicone around that right cargo hatch hinge then use touch-up paint on it;; I think it was the dealer; but they deny it!! but the Jeep was a lease before I bought it!! so no one else was supposed to touch the car; right? I would not have known, , if I hadn't read another post describing the very same problem!! I owe them!! thanks!!

- Natick, MA, USA