Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: On August 16th, 2012 Jeep stopped production of the the Jeep Liberty, marking the end of a troublesome journey for the SUV.

All in all, the 2012 Liberty actually excels off-road, but since 99% of drivers never take this thing off pavement, that becomes somewhat of a moot point. The Liberty suffers from the worst fuel economy in its class (16/22 MPG) and offers an uncomfortable ride with suspect braking ability.

2012 Jeep Liberty engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Liberty:

2012 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

Aug 182016

Interior lights in dash flashed on and off, radio went off and came back on. Upon stopping for traffic light engine stalled, put car in park restarted car. This happened twice today(8-18-2016). Interior lights flashing on and off has happened 5 or 6 times in the last 3 or 4 days, stalling has only happened today.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Dec 192013

I bought my Jeep Liberty jet in Feb 2012 brand new out of the show room. I am a military vet and wanted a reliable car to drive in for my pcs moves. I started having vehicle shakes in 2013 for my 2012 Jeep Liberty jet. In December 2013 I took it to milton reuben Chrysler dealership for check engine light. I was also informed there was a safety recall on it that I was unaware of. The vehicle was in the shop for over a month for cylinder 3,4,7 misfires. The heads were replaced. In August 2014, not even a year after my vehicle was in the shop I had to return for shakes. My child was in the car at the time it was shaking violently. I called Chrysler, not the dealership, to complain of this safety issue and for long term help solving the issue. They basically said I was on my own and the dealership didn't want the vehicle as a trade in because of its lengthy wrap sheet. They replaced cylinder 3 and 7 again. I thought the worst was over until August 29, 2015 the shakes came back. I took it to dealership and they gave me a bill for $1100 for cylinder 5 misfire. The vehicle has less than 80,000 miles on a 100,000 mile warranty. It has been in the shop every year since we have had it for major work. The dealership doesn't want it and Chrysler is not taking responsibility for the fact they built a faulty vehicle. Every 20,000 miles I am having issues.

- Powder Springs , GA, USA

Aug 232015

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Liberty. While driving 20-30 mph, the vehicle stalled. A few seconds after the failure, the engine made an abnormal noise and restarted independently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 44,169. MA 10/6 updated 3/28/2016

- Marion Center, PA, USA

Jul 182015

I started off by driving down hill on highway 40. All vehicle lights lit up on dashboard, enging stalled, no brakes or steering. I shifted the vehicle to neutral and was able to come to a stop on the shoulder of the road when the vehicle started up the next hill. No turns, the road was straight. Turned the key off and restarted the vehicle, and the Jeep ran fine. Later that day in a parking lot, the same thing happened. Started the vehicle, started to pull out of the parking lot, all of the dashboard lights came on, the engine stalled and had no brakes or steering. Placed the vehicle in neutral until the Jeep came to a stop, turned the key off, then restarted the vehicle and the Jeep ran ok until we got home.

- Mckeesport, PA, USA

May 032015

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Liberty. While driving approximately 20 mph, the engine warning light illuminated and there was smoke coming from under the hood of the vehicle. In addition, the vehicle stalled and failed to restart. The vehicle ignited into flames. The fire department extinguished the fire and a police and a fire report were filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 47,000.

- Kansis City , MO, USA

Dec 032014

Liberty 6-cyl

On 3 different occasions, first one driving on 95 from New York on December 3, 2014, I put on cruise control and car accelerated out of my control, brakes didn't work and I had to cross over lanes and tried everything to stop car, drove in to a ditch and car died, wouldn't restart for hours. The second time was March 6 2015 in Florida, I was just driving along and the car just got out from under me at a very fast speed and I couldn't stop it, I threw it into park and the car died and the ignition just kept doing a clicking noise, left it over night because it wouldn't start, had to have it flatbed away, the car started the next day"? now on April 3rd 2015 it happened when I was going 3 miles an hour in my parking lot and the Jeep accelerated and I drove straight between 2 parked cars and over a handicap sign to stop, now it has been sitting since Friday in to a parking spot that my neighbors helped me push it in to, I could of been killed or hurt others. This car is in pristine condition, well maintained and low mileage...who can help me??"

- Delray Beach, FL, USA

Oct 232014

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Liberty. While the vehicle was idling at a traffic signal, the engine overheated and smoke appeared under the hood. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the water pump and thermostat were faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired and the failure was remedied. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 50,474.

- Richmond , TX, USA

Jun 262014

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated while driving 20 mph attempting to make a turn, the vehicle stalled and the warning lights illuminated. The contact was able to maneuver the vehicle onto the emergency lane and then it restarted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to identify the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 23,500.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

May 012012

Liberty 6-cyl

Vehicle experiences momentary loss of power during normal highway driving. Dealership and manufacturer representative both agree there is a problem, but do not know how to repair and refuse to do any repairs. They do not know what causes the loss of power.

- Ardmore, OK, USA

Feb 282012

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that a lot of smoke emitted from the vehicle upon starting, since original purchase date. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a diagnosis. The dealer stated that they had to replace the PCV valves. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure continued. The manufacturer was contacted. The failure mileage was 500 and the current mileage is 6,500. Updated 7/18/12 updated 07/25/12

- Englewood , CO, USA