CarComplaints.com Notes: On August 16th, 2012 Jeep stopped production of the the Jeep Liberty, marking the end of a troublesome journey for the SUV.

All in all, the 2012 Liberty actually excels off-road, but since 99% of drivers never take this thing off pavement, that becomes somewhat of a moot point. The Liberty suffers from the worst fuel economy in its class (16/22 MPG) and offers an uncomfortable ride with suspect braking ability.

2012 Jeep Liberty seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Liberty:

2012 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

Jul 242014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the air bag indicator illuminated. The dealer stated that the VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V282000 (air bags, electrical system) for the tipm replacement. The contact was informed that the occupant restraint control module also needed to be repaired; however, it was not eligible for repair according to the recall because the vehicle was a 2012 model. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 45,000.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Jun 022014

Liberty

A few days ago the airbag malfunction light turned on upon starting my vehicle. Not sure what this meant, I took it to my local Jeep dealership in clear lake, Texas. When I dropped my car off, the man said it would not be ready today. It took clear lake Dodge a full 24 hours to complete this fix (and that was after begging the manager to have my car ready on time, they were going to push it back another day). On the recall form it said should only take 30 minutes for this fix. I received my car and the car was presumably fixed since the warning light was no longer on. However, when I get home, I realize my garage key had been stolen from my vehicle. This was a disaster, and I did not feel that my safety was valued as a person much less a paying customer at clear lake Dodge.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Feb 032014

Liberty 6-cyl

I have a perforated hole in the driver side seat and another perforated hole in the passenger seat caused by the seat belt latch that sit in the entrance ways of my vehicle. Every time I or someone else gets into the vehicle there is a possibility of getting stabbed in the back along with puncturing another hole in the seat. The seat belt latch catches you when entering into the vehicle and when you sit back that?S when it gets you, like a bee sting, it really hurts. I have received a bruise from the latch.

- Sparta, WI, USA