Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: On August 16th, 2012 Jeep stopped production of the the Jeep Liberty, marking the end of a troublesome journey for the SUV.

All in all, the 2012 Liberty actually excels off-road, but since 99% of drivers never take this thing off pavement, that becomes somewhat of a moot point. The Liberty suffers from the worst fuel economy in its class (16/22 MPG) and offers an uncomfortable ride with suspect braking ability.

2012 Jeep Liberty wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Liberty:

2012 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

Feb 182015

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

I was pulling out of a parking lot when my steering wheel locked up and I couldn't turn the wheel anywhere causing to drive on the curb and hit a fire hydrant.

- Fairfield , CA, USA

Dec 012014

I purchased a new 2012 Jeep Liberty from a dealership in September of 2012. The vehicle has P235/60R18 fortera hl tires on it. The advertised mileage on this tire is 60K miles. I was told that when these tires are put on new vehicles that they are sub-standard. My car now has 30,200 miles and the tires are worn smooth with normal driving. Goodyear said that they would replace the 4 tires for $623. When I researched the reviews, my situation was rather common. The tires are unsafe to drive on in their current condition and when the public relies on an advertised mileage of 60K miles, this is a blatant misrepresentation of the product.

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Sep 032013

Liberty 6-cyl

While I was driving on I-70 E, I noticed that the vehicle approaching me from behind, was traveling at a high rate of speed so I swerved to the right shoulder and the other vehicle swerved to the left lane and then back across the right lane over to the shoulder and struck my 2012 Jeep Liberty on the drivers side from the front to the rear probably at a speed between 60 - 75. With that impact I received whiplash & injury to my left arm, left hand, neck & shoulder. I did not received a recall notice N38 until late December 2013 and the accident occurred on September 3, 2013, so I called Chrysler and told them about the accident and asked if this recall could effect the air bag from not deploying, the lady didn't know and said she would file a report. I received a letter stating, "while the purpose of the air bag is to deploy when the major direction of the impact is from the front of the vehicle towards the back of the vehicle" & "the vehicle damage may lead you to believe that the air bag should have deployed, how ever, this can be deceiving." It also stated that large amounts of fender or sheet metal damage indicate that the crumple zone in the front of the vehicle did their job and as a result the air bags were not needed. So I placed two different calls to Chrysler dealers and also went in person to one and ask them "if I didn't get this recall fixed, (which the recall notice had not been sent out when the accident happened) if it could cause the air bag not to deploy, " and all three of the men told me yes it could cause the air bags not to deploy or something even worst, which the one man stated "it could even kill you." I believe as hard as I was hit, and with the injuries I received, that the air bags should of deployed and maybe I wouldn't have been injured as much. It has been over 4 months since the accident and my injuries are still present. Sincerely

- Grain Valley, MO, USA

Mar 062013

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the tire pressure measuring system warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the tire pressure measuring sensor was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 12,450.

- Peoria, IL, USA

Mar 302013

Liberty 6-cyl

The clear coat is chipping/peeling off the wheels on the Jeep Liberty 2012 jet edition.....only have had the vehicle for 6 months and noticed this just recently.

- Madison, OH, USA