2010 Jeep Patriot engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Jeep Patriot:

2010 Jeep Patriot Owner Comments

Jan 012015

My 2010 Patriot limited stalls all the time. It gets worse while sitting at a red light. I have to put the car in neutral, rev up the engine so it does not go dead. It seems to get worse if the gas tank is below 1/2 tank. Also I really thought someone was stealing my gas because the gauge goes up and down. All the info I have looked up it's all Jeep products 2010 2011 2012 2013 all have the same problems.

- Pcb, FL, USA

May 232014

Patriot 4-cyl

I stopped at a convenient store on my way home from work prior to this my radio continue to turn off and on. When I went to start my Jeep back up it would not start and was smoking. I had it pulled to the dealership the next day and they told me that the starter wire had caught afire and fried the starter and possible the fuse box. Had I not stopped and continue to drive the other 15 miles home I would probably be dead. The car would have stalled on the highway in a construction zone where there would have been no place for me to pull off the highway and with no light any other car traveling the highway could have hit me and with me at a standstill and the speed limit 50 in the construction area I would possibly been killed or hurt severely. There was no warning just that the radio would cut off and on.

- Canton, MS, USA

Dec 072013

I have a 2010 Jeep Patriot sport with 50000 miles on it. I also had the dealership install an auto start for winter months to warm up car. I drove the car on Dec 7 for 10 miles traveling at a speed of 40. I stopped home for 15 minutes and when I restarted my car a red flashing lightning bolt lit up on my dash which was the throttle accompanied by the off road traction control. I backed out the car and it was shaking and loud. I decided to drive another vehicle a few days later I drove it to the dealership taking the backroads and it would not go over 20 mph and shook frequently. I was concerned for my safety. I have a lifetime powertrain engine warranty and thomas Dodge dealership in highland, in is not covering under warranty. They state the throttle is not a component of the engine or power train. The cost of repair is $690. I was wondering if any recalls exist on the Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep in regards to throttle body assembly and to consider my model, make and year.

- Lake Station, IN, USA

Jul 222013

Patriot 4-cyl

I was driving over to my parents house and my dad noticed a smell of plastic burning when I arrived. He lifted the hood and the air inlet duct was not properly positioned and had moved over and was laying on the manifold. He noticed 1 of the 2 screws used to hold the duct in position was missing. He pulled the duct part off and noticed a hole in the underside where it had laid on the manifold and heated up melting the plastic housing. He covered up the hole with duct tape and relocated it to the proper position. He repositioned it and secured the part with zip-ties.

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Dec 052012

Engine stalled while driving 45mph on a city street in normal weather conditions.

- Charlestown, MA, USA

May 252012

Patriot 4-cyl

My Patriot stalled on the freeway. This was the second time this has happened. I took it to the mechanic where they said this could have been from a faulty gas gauge and I was out of gasoline. I do not think this was the case.

- Reno, NV, USA

Oct 082012

Patriot 4-cyl

Jeep seems to get revved up and gets stuck there, and I can't seem to stop it short off shutting it down. Last time this happened was on 10/8/12 as I was getting on freeway. I was not going more than 30 miles an hour when all of a sudden it revved up to about 5. however, when I took foot off gas it did not go down, even after tapping brake. Also, even after giving gas again, could barely get it to move so I could get to side of road, (thank goodness nobody was behind me) as I coasted over and shut it down right there, after restarting it was fine. My mom and sister were with me and can verify what happened. This has actually happened a couple of times before, but never when entering freeway! the first time it happened was 2010 and I called dealer right after incident, (actually shut Jeep off and called right away), don't think they believed me. Jeep also feels like it is going to stall (more often this year), especially at lights, have to give it gas while waiting. I mentioned this also at last oil change at dealer, nobody seems to think there is a problem. After hearing about incidents with 2011 and 2012 models I thought I should document mine as may be same problem.

- Cary, NC, USA