2010 Jeep Patriot engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Jeep Patriot:

2010 Jeep Patriot Owner Comments

Jan 272014

Patriot 4-cyl

The car was in drive going 60mph. It jerked several times and went into limp mode to 20mph. The electronic throttle light as well as the traction control light went on. I took it to my mechanic he confirmed the car needed the throttle body. The part was on back order due to a redesign (red flag there). It took three weeks for the part to come in. My mechanic replaced the part and my Patriot is still going into limp mode. The computer threw out many codes. My mechanic after working on the codes for two weeks said that he could not figure out the problem and suggested I have my Patriot towed to the dealership. I get a call from the dealership that my Patriot is throwing 3 pages of codes. I learned my Patriot is not the only Jeep/Chrysler vehicle having these issues. I think that Chrysler should look into this issue, to have a car go into limp mode while driving 60mph can be very dangerous!

- Charles Town, WV, USA

Dec 072013

I have a 2010 Jeep Patriot sport with 50000 miles on it. I also had the dealership install an auto start for winter months to warm up car. I drove the car on Dec 7 for 10 miles traveling at a speed of 40. I stopped home for 15 minutes and when I restarted my car a red flashing lightning bolt lit up on my dash which was the throttle accompanied by the off road traction control. I backed out the car and it was shaking and loud. I decided to drive another vehicle a few days later I drove it to the dealership taking the backroads and it would not go over 20 mph and shook frequently. I was concerned for my safety. I have a lifetime powertrain engine warranty and thomas Dodge dealership in highland, in is not covering under warranty. They state the throttle is not a component of the engine or power train. The cost of repair is $690. I was wondering if any recalls exist on the Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep in regards to throttle body assembly and to consider my model, make and year.

- Lake Station, IN, USA

Oct 082012

Patriot 4-cyl

Jeep seems to get revved up and gets stuck there, and I can't seem to stop it short off shutting it down. Last time this happened was on 10/8/12 as I was getting on freeway. I was not going more than 30 miles an hour when all of a sudden it revved up to about 5. however, when I took foot off gas it did not go down, even after tapping brake. Also, even after giving gas again, could barely get it to move so I could get to side of road, (thank goodness nobody was behind me) as I coasted over and shut it down right there, after restarting it was fine. My mom and sister were with me and can verify what happened. This has actually happened a couple of times before, but never when entering freeway! the first time it happened was 2010 and I called dealer right after incident, (actually shut Jeep off and called right away), don't think they believed me. Jeep also feels like it is going to stall (more often this year), especially at lights, have to give it gas while waiting. I mentioned this also at last oil change at dealer, nobody seems to think there is a problem. After hearing about incidents with 2011 and 2012 models I thought I should document mine as may be same problem.

- Cary, NC, USA

Jul 152010

Patriot 4WD 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Jeep Patriot. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the throttle control warning light illuminated as the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis where the contact was informed that a wiring harness had malfunctioned. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 1,749 and the current mileage was 50,000.

- Bernardston, MA, USA