2012 Jeep Patriot engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Patriot:

2012 Jeep Patriot Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Apr 302014

Patriot

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Patriot. While driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle failed to shift into second gear. The contact noticed that the rpms increased. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the clutch failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 47,000. The VIN was not provided.

- Frediericksburg, VA, USA

Jul 142016

Patriot

Stalls at low speed (40 mph or less) and at idle, most often with some engine load -- like ac is on or turning the steering wheel. It stalls more often in the afternoon than in the morning.

- Succasunna, NJ, USA

Jun 222016

Patriot

I have had numerous problems with my 2012 Jeep Patriot. From the beginning my transmission would constantly over heat and I brought it into the dealer at about 30,000 miles and they said, "there is nothing wrong." The problem persisted and finally they issued me a new transmission at about 50,000 miles. A few months later, the engine just stopped continuously on the highway & street. Then they discovered that it was the crankshaft sensor that was bad, which they replaced. I had to pay $100 because of a deductible. The car seemed to be working okay until June 22nd, 2015 when I was on a road trip and all of a sudden the car completely died with a huge semi truck behind me. I was traveling at about 75 mph and the car just completely shut down, power steering, everything went off except for the lights and other items run by the battery. We immediately tried our best to signal and finally made it safely off the highway at speeds of under 15 mph. The car gave us no check lights and no indication as to what was wrong with the vehicle except for that it would not turn over when we tried to start it. We had to have the vehicle towed while on a road trip. We live in California and had to have the vehicle towed in Idaho falls, Idaho which was extremely inconvenient. We rented a car and left the 2012 Jeep Patriot at the dealer hoping they could fix it upon our return to that area. They were unable to give us any answers and said the car started fine. Obviously, you can see how this is an issue. I have no problem fixing the car but with no answers to what is wrong and having the constant worry of wondering if my life and my family's life is in danger, is not something I am willing to tolerate. It seems that many people are having the same issue as well. I will be forwarding this for them to make a complaint as well. I will also follow up hoping that this issue can be resolved.

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

Jun 202016

Patriot

During driving car got stalled suddenly and engine stopped and locked and prevented to move off from road with evap check engine light. My family in the car and someone behind about to hit at the back and its a major issue if engine lock down while driving

- Gurnee, IL, USA

Oct 282015

Patriot

On October 28, 2015 with about 50,000 miles on it, my Jeep went into limp mode while I was driving 55 mph. Luckily I was able to pull over to the shoulder before getting rear-ended. Multiple lights turned on including the electronic throttle control, check engine, and traction control. I unhooked the battery and waited a few minutes. Hooked it back up and it seemed to be fine. Until March 13, 2016 when I was driving my daughter to the mall for her birthday. I was driving on a busy 4 lane road when my car seemed to turn off or loose all power while climbing a hill. Again, I just avoided being rear ended and pulled over to the side. I turned the key off, took it out, waited a few minutes and started it again and it worked. We went shopping and went back home without a problem, until the next day. March 14, 2016 while driving my daughters to school my Jeep went into limp mode. Luckily I was in the village and only going 30 mph, but all of the lights came on again-electronic throttle control, traction control, and check engine. I drove it back home and had it towed to the dealership. The dealership said that they did not know what was wrong with it. That after resetting the battery and performing a diagnostic check, only a vac leak was detected. They performed a check and confirmed (according to my invoice) that there were "no vacuum leaks at this time per code" and that "could be many things." And they "cleared codes and road tested ok at this time." So I drove it home from the dealership and to work today with no problems. When I went to go home, all the lights came on again. I do not feel safe and I feel stuck. No one seems to want to fix it because they do not know what to fix... and this is pathetic when even the dealership that I bought it from can not help. I am afraid someone will be killed if a solution is not found to this common problem with Jeep Patriots.

- Caledonia, NY, USA

Feb 192016

Patriot

Engine stalled at 45 miles/hour at three different occasions over a 3 day time frame. After approximately 5 minute the engine could be started up again. The dealership replaced a crankshaft sensor as a supposed fix. After driving the vehicle for 15 to 20 miles the engine would shut down again without warning. This time the engine started and stalled 6 consecutive times over a distance of less then one mile. The car was towed to the dealership. The problems described occurred while driving on state road and North medina line road, West of akron, Ohio. The condition described is dangerous as the loss of engine operation renders car handling (stearing and braking) very difficult. Engine stall at the third time stated above happened at a sharp right curve with on-comming trafic. A collission was narrowly avoided.

- Akron, OH, USA

Nov 302015

Patriot

I was driving at a speed of 50mph around a curve in the road and the engine stalled and the check engine light came on. I tried to put tin neutral and restart it, it did not turn over. I put it in park and after 3 tries it started. I immediately took it to the dealership and they told me it was a crankshaft position sensor. This happened once before on a Saturday and when I took it in on Monday they told me without a check engine light they could not know what was wrong.

- Frankfort, IL, USA

Aug 262015

Patriot

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Patriot. While driving 25 mph, the vehicle started to lose power and failed to accelerate. The electric throttle control warning light illuminated right before the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was not repaired or diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 22,000. The VIN was not available.

- Malden, MA, USA

Jul 172015

Patriot

I was driving my 2012 Jeep Patriot on the highway when simultaneously, the electronic throttle control light started blinking red, my car started to jerk forward, and lost power. This reoccurred several times on the way to get it looked at. Each time it happened, I had to shut the vehicle off, wait a few minutes, and then restart. I took it to a Jeep dealer and without even looking at it, the guy said it would be about $600 to fix (even though I still have power train warranty). This to me looks like this is a reoccurring problem that Jeep is aware of, but is not doing anything about. Luckily each time this happened, I was able to pull over and avoid an accident, others might not be so lucky. Until this problem is resolved, my Jeep is not safe to drive.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

May 212015

Patriot

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Patriot. While driving at various speeds, the contact heard a sound from the front of the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. Immediately after the vehicle was repaired, while driving 70 mph, the vehicle lost power and the electronic throttle control and fuel cap warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 47,555.

- Fairfield, TX, USA

Apr 032015

Patriot 4-cyl

I was driving on the I-65 South to Alabama, when I started to loose speed I really freaked out, and I pressed the gas pedal a little bit more but I kept loosin speed, I managed to move to the right shoulder and the good thing is that my brother-law was behind my vehicle so he realize that something was wrong with my car and that prevent me to be hit in the rear by another vehicle. I got off the car and I tried to start the car again, and the starter was working fine, then I did remember about the complaints on these carsthat if you have a 1/4 of a tank of fuel the engine would shut down, and I had a 1/4 of a tank one of my brothers went to get the gas, while I was calling Chrysler to let them know what happened with this car and the Chrysler guy was very helpful and offer me to sent me a tow truck, then I mentioned about the recall on these vehicles, I told him that I would try to put gas and if it worked there was no need to sent a tow truck, beside it was a family vacation and the least thing that I wanted was to spend it in a shop repair. My brother came back and the car starter right away. My family vacation was for 10 day and I was using another car from relatives in Alabama, I made the appointment with my local dealership in Chicago I told what happened and the said my car wasn't affected by the Chrysler's recall campaign N17 NHTSA campaign number:13V120000. But thy said they would take a look at the car, I bought it for service and they paid for a car rental but the technician couldn't duplicate the problem, they had it for three days and nothing, instead of replacing a transfer tube in the fuel tank but it's not in its recall list and Chrysler would not paid for that repair, so they wouldn't do it. Even though I paid for extra protection for 60,000 or 84 months. So I guess they will replace this little tube until people start to die in car accidents.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 262015

Patriot 4-cyl

Engine stalled while driving on the highway at 70 mph. Could not start car immediately, was towed and after being towed car started up with no problem. Car was brought to the dealership and a diagnostic test was done with no errors shown.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Feb 152015

Patriot

On two occasions the vehicle failed to start, once after stalling while in motion. 1)after appropriate operation of the traction control system, the vehicle was turned off and refused to restart. Car was eventually restarted, showing an mil and reported an error P0335 crank shaft position sensor. After reset the car operated for over 100 miles trouble free. 2)about one week later, after appropriate operation of the traction control system, the vehicle stalled while doing 35 miles per hour, with the same indication as the first stall. The crankshaft position sensor was replaced after the second incident. Previous to these events the vehicle had been trouble free for 3 winters. On 9/16/2014 the dealer had flashed the PCM 68070204ag due to an error code for failure of evaporative purge flow.

- Crystal Lake, IL, USA

Jan 132015

Patriot 4-cyl

Engine stalled while driving !!! engine light came on with chime. Huge problem. And only 9000 miles. I really am mad, and now fear I could be killed driving this vehicle. All service oil changes, have been at a certified Jeep dealership. I guess im not alone looking online..... Jeep Patriot is junk. Needs to be recalled and off the road before someone is killed while driving this vehicle.

- Goose Creeek, SC, USA

Dec 202014

Patriot

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Patriot. The contact stated that while driving at 65 mph, the interior lighting illuminated as the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to restart. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V120000 (fuel system, gasoline). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 36,624.

- Faribault , MN, USA

Aug 192014

Patriot 4-cyl

On 8/19/14 my 2012 Jeep Patriot had 30,666 miles. I made a right turn onto the highway out of a shopping center parking lot and as soon as I had made the turn my car stalled out. I coasted a bit and pulled into the parking lots next entrance. I parked my Jeep and turned my key as if I was shutting my car off and then tried to turn it back on. To my surprise is turned on and I drove around the parking lot a little without another issue.. I immediately called a Jeep dealer but they told me unless the issue happened again they couldn't do anything about it. I was lucky no one rear ended me. It's a very busy highway. I bought a Jeep because I thought it'd be a safe vehicle to drive myself, my husband and my 1 year old baby around in. After this happened on the highway I have been extra cautious because I'm afraid it will stall again and we may not be as lucky the next time. I hope they will recall all Chrysler vehicles made with this faulty fuel pump. We all deserve a safe vehicle.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Jul 192014

Patriot 4-cyl

My husband and I were driving from New Mexico to Wyoming. The average speeds were between 65 and 75. After driving for about 5 hours, with stops every 2 hours to rest and get gas, the transmission light came on and the Jeep lost power. We pulled over to the side of the road and let it sit for about 10 min until the light went off. We drove the rest of the way at much lower speeds. Between 50 and 60 mph. The transmission overheated again on the way back after 6 hours or so, with stops every 2 hours. The dealership we took it to told us that there were no error codes, and no problems with the transmission or its fluid. There was nothing for them to fix. They advised us to stop often if we were planning on traveling for long distances. Thankfully (but very scary) we were in the middle of nowhere when it happened and not in the middle of heavy traffic.

- Holloman Afb, NM, USA

Jul 152014

Patriot 4-cyl

I was driving my vehicle on an interstate in houston, Texas at 71 mph and suddenly my engine stalled and I could not control my vehicle. Several vehicles behind me had to swerve around me and nearly hit my vehicle. My vehicle eventually came to a stop and I was able to re-start the engine. The vehicle I was driving is a 2012 Jeep Patriot with 42,700 miles on it. I have had 2 previous warranty recalls fixed on this vehicle - one related to a fuel transfer tube and the other for a vehicle occupant restraint.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Jul 082014

Patriot 4WD 4-cyl

While driving several times I have had the engine stall out on me and all power is killed from the vehicle. I have taken it to the dealer and they told me that unless the problem is happening when I bring in the vehicle they don't want to put money and parts into it. I bring it to then while the check engine light is on and still they wont do anything about it.

- Schwenksville, PA, USA

Jun 232014

Patriot 4-cyl

Was traveling down a city street. After approximately 100 feet past an intersection, the warning chime and check engine came on approximately a few seconds before the vehicle completely stalled. I lost brakes and power steering. Attempting to switch transmission to park and neutral while vehicle was coasting but could not. I have a bad back so I did not utilize the parking/emergency brake. Once vehicle came to a stop I was able to force the transmission to park after a few attempts. Tried restarting vehicle and it would just continuously crank, but would not turn over. Had public assistance to help get it in neutral and push the vehicle off the busy roadway. Called dealership and was advised to have it towed in. Called for tow, was taken to dealer for repair. Dealer replaced crank sensor and updated PCM.

- Southgate, MI, USA