2014 Jeep Patriot brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Jeep Patriot:

2014 Jeep Patriot Owner Comments

May 212016

Since day one of purchasing the Patriot my vehicle has had non-stop issues, more recently almost resulting in the driver and passenger being involved in an accident with an 18 wheeler after the vehicle went from 80mph to 40mph in less than 5 minutes, transmission fluid light came on and rpms stayed at 4200. The car made a ridiculous screaming noise and this was after the dealership had my vehicle for 2 weeks (third time bringing it in for the above problem) and now it is at the dealership again where I am being told there isn't anything they can do. The vehicle has had new struts (complained about a clunking noise when turning left and shockingly they couldn't replicate the problem until the third time bringing it in), new brake sensor switch after they also found the master was leaking into the booster and then they found the sensor switch bad -that was October of 2015, April 23rd 2016 they said that had to be replaced and that was what was causing the transmission issue - I may be a girl but I"M not stupid (that was the second time I brought it in for the trans. Issue). It's had a new radio and telematic modules 5 times, new antenna, new tire sensors, molding, door panel, etc. This car was too expensive to have these issues and Jeep/Chrysler group are telling me that the transmission is obviously over heating going into "limp" mode resulting in the vehicle staying in 4th gear and loosing speed - this vehicle is a coffin on wheels and I was told this was reliable. We have everything on video that happened after picking up the car from the dealership on May 21, 2016 and after taking it for a drive to assure the problem was gone (again third time it was brought in). The service manager told me that the computer resets like a laptop which is why the error codes go away and is continuing to feed us lies even with evidence in hand. My vehicle terrifies me now.

- Tamarac, FL, USA

Mar 312014

Ever since buying my 2014 Jeep Patriot the brakes have been faulty. If I drive over a bumpy road and slowly press on my brakes to slow down it becomes very faulty and the pedal feels as if I am breaking through the ground. I have to quickly release, wait till I am on flat ground and press on the brakes again to have a better grip on braking. This also happened when I had to brake abruptly. The car overall is fine, it's just the brakes have been acting up since the beginning. And it doesn't matter if I'm on the freeway or in a residential area, I always need to be aware of this because it always happens. The Jeep has a manual transmission but I don't think that should matter because my roommate has the same exact car but an automatic and she has the same exact issue with her car as well.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Apr 102014

I go to start my 2014 Patriot and when I move it and step on my brake pedal when its cold, the brakes squeal. I haven't had any problems other than that so far, and it now has about 1,600 miles on it.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Feb 222015

I rented a 2014 Jeep Patriot from one of the rental car companies on Feb 17 2015 and used it for about five days before the following incident happened. On Feb 22, I was driving the car on I-5 going South. I made an exit after driving for about 2 hours on the freeway to refuel which I did. It was bright sunny day the time was around noon. I moved away from the gas pump and wanted to park it behind the gas station. I found a space between two cars and as I was slowly moving towards the parking space the car accelerated at an incredible speed, broke into a fence of a private residence, then hit a play house (for children) and landed in the swimming pool. Because of my ignorance about such incidences whereby cars self-accelerate, I thought I might have accidentally stepped on the gas and when the police arrived at the scene and asked me what happened, I said, "may be I stepped on the gas". upon discussing this matter with friends and checking on the internet, I discovered that cars accelerated on their own from time to time. I have no doubt in my mind now that the Jeep Patriot just did that. I have over 40 years of driving experience and I don't remember a single instance when I stepped on the gas pedal while trying to bring a car to a stop. The rental car company said that they had the car inspected and sent me a letter they received from the manufacturer stating they did not find any malfunction problem. The car was immersed in the pool about half way and I am not even sure how the inspection can yield a reliable result for a car pulled out of a swimming pool.

- Pinole, CA, USA

Dec 012014

Rear drum brakes squeal when backing up and sometimes when applying brakes while driving forward. I took the vehicle to Firestone and they said it might be due top dust build up in the drum. They cleaned and inspected the rear drums and said they were in good shape. Within an hour or so the squealing continued. A few days later I took the vehicle to the Jeep Chrysler dealership. They inspected the rear drum brakes and could not find anything wrong with them. Nothing needed to be replaced or fixed. I was told by the Jeep service department that drum brakes squealing/squeaking is normal. I am having a hard time accepting this answer. I can't believe Jeep would produce a car with brakes where squealing/squeaking is normal!! a few months later I called Jeep service again and the service tech told me they got a lot of the same complaints and Jeep corporate is aware of the issue. I was not told of any plans they have to fix the issue.

- Mount Pleasant, SC, USA

Mar 072014

Brakes make a loud screeching sound and is difficult to stop sometimes. Problems get bad when raining. I returned car to dealership and was told dust was on brakes and the noise should stop this has not happened the noise is still occurring.

- Orange, NJ, USA

Jan 012015

Patriot 4-cyl

There's a very loud squealing sound when backing up. It also happens when I release the emergency brake or even when I lift my foot off of the brake pedal. I took it in to the dealership to get it looked at and they could not find the problem. They heard the noise, inspected my brakes and everything but could not find the problem. Coincidentally, I was the second customer that day with the same exact problem.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Aug 302014

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Patriot. While driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle suddenly accelerated to approximately 60 mph on its own. The contact was unable to stop the vehicle by depressing the brake pedal and had to shift the vehicle into the park position. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but no further information was available. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 1,500.

- New Florence , PA, USA

Mar 152014

Patriot 4-cyl

Driving in rain, went through standing water on road. ABS brake light went on and stayed on. Brake assist no longer works. Dealer has had vehicle for two weeks now trying to figure out what is wrong.

- Covington , WA, USA

May 292013

Patriot 4-cyl

Brake failure and car accelerates during periods of brake failure. A week after taking delivery of this new car with around 470 miles on the ode meter, it was noticed that during periods of gentle braking, the brakes appeared to fail and the car would accelerated during the short periods the brakes would fail. The first occurrence was noticed at around 30 mph in steady urban traffic. The brakes appeared to fail again about 10 min later in similar traffic. During these 2 failures the brakes appeared to fail for around a quarter of a second. About 1/2 an hour later, in steady freeway traffic of 55 to 60 mph at around 3.30 pm, gentle braking was needed and the brakes failed and the car accelerated for about a period of one to one and a half seconds. I was very close to ramming the car in front. During the periods of failure, the brake pedal remains firm and solid, it is as if the brakes are electronically switched off and then electronically switched on again. During the periods of failures, the application of additional pressure on the brake pedal does not stop the car accelerating. The faster the speed, the longer the period that the brakes appear to fail. It was a pretty scary experience. The bottom line is, when you apply the brakes in any car, the driver needs to have the confidence that the car will slow down and stop safely, the last thing a car should do, is accelerate when the brake pedal is pressed, it totally destroys the safe braking 3 second rule. The manufacture has determined that the transmission software is the problem and it could take up to a year to rewrite the software. This, in my opinion, is totally unacceptable and all 2014 Jeep Patriot and compass with 6 speed automatic transmissions should be take off the road. NHTSA are welcome to a test drive, these brake failure/acceleration issues occur every time the car is driven.

- Chaska, MN, USA