2014 Jeep Patriot engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Jeep Patriot:

2014 Jeep Patriot Owner Comments

Aug 192016

Patriot

On three occasions in the past two years and three months my 2014 Jeep Patriot began surging and stalling during highway driving. Each time this happens the electronic throttle control indicator light comes on. The solution offered in the owners manual is a real joke, because it instructs the owner to pull over, put the car in park, and turn the car on and off several times until the system resets. The second time this happened I took the Jeep to a Jeep dealer who said they downloaded new software that would solve the problem. However, it did not correct the issue, four months later it happened again. This is not a solution, it is a dangerous band-aid and Jeep should issue a recall and fix the problem.

- Chester, MD, USA

Aug 112016

Patriot

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Patriot. While depressing the accelerator pedal at 55 mph, the vehicle began to independently decelerate. The check engine, change oil error message, and an abnormal warning light displayed on the instrument panel. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle body control failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 63,000.

- Westminister, SC, USA

Apr 242016

Patriot

2014 Jeep Patriot 6 months ago driving on interstate the acceleration speed went from 70 mps to 25 mps almost hit by 18 wheeler truck took into dealership stated the speed SE sor was defected and repaired. On April 25 car acceleration wslowed down and car was throttling. Dealership stated codes were transmission issues, cvt shiffted out of transmission. Unhappy only had car 2 years seeking legal advice immediately! car is very unsafe on interstate.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Mar 092016

Patriot

On March 8 2016 at 2.00 am I was going to pick up my daughter from work and was on the expressway and the car wouldn't accelerate over 40 miles. I try to pick up. Speed and it sound like the engine was falling apart I was almost rear ended I exited off the expressway drove home on the side street and called a family member for a ride I could have been killed I am going to call the service department were I purchased the vehicle and get the vehicle inspected because this car is not even 2 years old.

- Oak Park, IL, USA

Feb 192016

Patriot

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Patriot. While driving 50 mph, the etc warning light illuminated and the vehicle lost power. In addition, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Fort Payne, AL, USA

Sep 132014

Patriot

Purchased a 2014 Jeep Patriot (used) on 03/15/2014 was going to work at 5am. All of a sudden was in 2 lane Jeep started loosing power, skipping bad, it did not wont to run!!! finally got it out of the road. This was in August of 2015. Called my husband he came we got it back home. Police stopped to see if I was ok now I called the Jeep recall place and gave them my VIN number said no recalls. So now the Jeep will not start when I turn the ignition on! have to do it several times to get it to crank!!! we live up on mountain now it started again the same thing!!!! hesitates going up the mountain and also on straight flat road!!! so what am I suppose to do"??" it scares me thinking I am going to get stranded on side of road anytime, especially at 5 in the mornings!!!! still doing the same thing!!! I just feel like I aint the only one this has happen to with the Jeep.

- Fort Payne, AL, USA

Jun 132015

Patriot

Traveling East on HY89 at approx 08:30 with cc set at 70. On 6% uphill grade RPM dropped to 2300 and speed to about 35, pressed acceler and fuel shut off. Car has auto trans with cvt trans. Fiddled with gear shift and acceleration resumed. On the way back had same experience but when RPM started to drop, turned off cc and operation was normal. No problems with smaller hills. Made same trip several times prior with RPM around 3500 and speed about 60 in same spots.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Feb 222015

Patriot

I rented a 2014 Jeep Patriot from one of the rental car companies on Feb 17 2015 and used it for about five days before the following incident happened. On Feb 22, I was driving the car on I-5 going South. I made an exit after driving for about 2 hours on the freeway to refuel which I did. It was bright sunny day the time was around noon. I moved away from the gas pump and wanted to park it behind the gas station. I found a space between two cars and as I was slowly moving towards the parking space the car accelerated at an incredible speed, broke into a fence of a private residence, then hit a play house (for children) and landed in the swimming pool. Because of my ignorance about such incidences whereby cars self-accelerate, I thought I might have accidentally stepped on the gas and when the police arrived at the scene and asked me what happened, I said, "may be I stepped on the gas". upon discussing this matter with friends and checking on the internet, I discovered that cars accelerated on their own from time to time. I have no doubt in my mind now that the Jeep Patriot just did that. I have over 40 years of driving experience and I don't remember a single instance when I stepped on the gas pedal while trying to bring a car to a stop. The rental car company said that they had the car inspected and sent me a letter they received from the manufacturer stating they did not find any malfunction problem. The car was immersed in the pool about half way and I am not even sure how the inspection can yield a reliable result for a car pulled out of a swimming pool.

- Pinole, CA, USA

Sep 152014

Patriot 4-cyl

I was at a stop sign waiting for traffic to clear and when it was clear I proceeded to turn out on the other road by pressing the gas peddle but the Jeep acted as if I was not pressing on the gas at all. It seems as if it was in neutral for a few seconds and then after that it picked up speed but I almost got hit by the oncoming traffic.

- Covington, GA, USA

Aug 302014

Patriot

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Patriot. While driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle suddenly accelerated to approximately 60 mph on its own. The contact was unable to stop the vehicle by depressing the brake pedal and had to shift the vehicle into the park position. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but no further information was available. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 1,500.

- New Florence , PA, USA

Aug 192013

Patriot 4-cyl

I purchased this 2014 Patriot four weeks ago with, I have not even made a first payment. Yesterday while driving in a parking lot my Jeep lost all power. I was shifted into drive and would hit the gas pedal and nothing would happen. There was absolutely no warning that is was going to stall, no indicator lights ever turned on. I placed the Jeep in park and turned off the ignition. Turned it back on, it was not immediate there was some lag on the start and was able to drive it again. I took it to my local dealership today to be inspected after a few hours they told me they could find nothing wrong and sent me on my way. I have investigated further and found that the 2011/2012 models have been investigated for this same problem in the past. This is a terrifying and dangerous occurrence that must be resolved. I am now fearful that this will reoccur in much more congested or high speed conditions.

- Winter Park , FL, USA