2.4

2004 Kia Sorento electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Kia Sorento:

2004 Kia Sorento Owner Comments

Jan 022014

Sorento 6-cyl

Battery was low and then the air bag warning light was on. The battery was replaced and the light still on. Looking online and find out this issue is typical on all Kia Sorentos. Wondering why this issue is not being recall. Called dealer and they mentioned that a $130 diagnose test needs to be paid in order to know what is the problem.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Sep 032012

Sorento

February 21, 2013 los angeles, ca electrical I bought my Kia brand new. I have had several problems: Complaint 1: I am writing this complaint against Kia motors who willingly knows of issues with its fuel systems in all 2004 Kia Sorentos. Even looking online you see thousands of Kia owners who have had the sensor go out on this model car after the cars 100000 warranty, and then Kia claims it is past the warranty they have and there is nothing they can do. This causes the gas to always read incorrectly even with a full tank the car reads "E" I have to keep putting gas in the car in fear of running out of gas.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Dec 072012

Sorento 6-cyl

Picked up vehicle after having rear support bearings repaired driving back home at 65mph on I-35/Texas 410 East started to experience strong smell of exhaust fumes in passenger compartment. During drive home started to rain, activated wipers, drivers side wiper blade fell off during rainstorm had to open driver side window to navigate! upon arrival at home noticed, smoke coming from engine compartment (passengers side) and smoke underneath vehicle from catalytic converter. Looked underneath vehicle and catalytic converter, was smoking, inside engine compartment a hose at the rear of the engine compartment (sorry not a mechanic) had a hole in it and was smoking also? vehicle has not been driven since 12/7/12, vehicle was purchased 10/4/12, has limited warranty.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Oct 092006

Sorento

The contact owns a 2004 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that the fan relay fuse had to be removed in order to get the fan to stop running. The contact had taken the vehicle to several mechanics for service of electrical problems however, the mechanics were never able to diagnose the exact cause of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown, but the current mileage was 138,000.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Sep 292011

Sorento 6-cyl

When shutting off the engine the cooling fan stays running. If this is not noticed it will run until the battery dies and then the vehicle will need jumped. As I was researching on the internet it looks like there are issues with relays in Kia's from 2003 to 2006. This problem happens at least once a month sometimes more. This time the battery had to be disconnected to get the fan to shut off.. this is a safety issue that needs to be researched farther in regards to how often this happens. I have not taken my Kia to a mechanic yet due to the fact it is very costly to track an electrical problem. This problem does not happen all the time but if you are unaware of this problem you may go to start your car and it does not run. There are a high and low fan on this Kia. Both of the fans are running but the high fan is almost silent. If this problem has been going on for at least four years there should be some way to hold the manufacturer responsible. Thank you for your time..

- North Fort Myers, FL, USA

Mar 102012

Sorento 6-cyl

Summary: Update to below problem I bought my Sorento in 2004, new. I replaced the coolant reservoir at 61000 miles due to overheating, replaced the low beam headlight bulbs on 4 occasions, tail lights on 2 occasions. My vehicle, 5 speed manual transmission, started to have a roaring noise approx. 6 months ago and the U-joints were replaced. It still roars. It quit running on 2-16-12 while I was driving, but restarted. It finally quit again and would not restart on 2-17-12. Check engine light indicate a fuel pressure sensor problem, but mechanic says this should not cause the problem I presently have. It has been in the shop since 2-18-12. The mechanic said it started for him. I insisted he let it run for a while and see what happens. Sure enough, it quit. Kia mechanic told me it may be a crank or cam sensor issue. Other problems--front dome light off and on at will, rear one works, clock on and off at will, vehicle hums loudly when driving for a while. It has been a reliable vehicle for the most part, but when there is an issue, it is hard to detect. Above work was completed at a cost of 1126,00. But now crankshaft bolt broke while driving costing damage to engine heads. Vehicle went back into shop and is still waiting repairs. Kia owes it customers better service and must pay repair cost and take responsibility for the faulty crankshaft bolts they provide to the mechanics.

- Fort Walton Bch, FL, USA

Jul 072011

Sorento 6-cyl

Repeated problems with check engine light, keep giving evap code, replaced evap canister solenoid with kit, headlights, taillights, clock loses time, .

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 212011

Sorento 6-cyl

I bought a 2004 Kia Sorento in 2006 finished paying for it in 2010, over the years I have had to change the lights so many times I cant count, I have had topaint it twice, then the driving shaft broke, the compressor was changed twice, the cd player works on and off the air bags light came on and stayed for months on end the engine light does the same and most recently there is smoke coming from the engine, I am having to stop park and let it cool off before continuing on my journey, at the moment I got scared and I now I have my vehicle parked at home because I am scared to drive it, it is a shame and I am very upset. Is there anyone out there who is trying to do something about these problems us consumers are having" I own my vehicle and has a clean title and would like to trade in or sell but with all these problems how can I pass it on to someone else" I am asking someone from Kia to do the responsible thing and give us some answers before someone loses their life, that is if it hasn't happened already. Don't let this be Toyota.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jun 222004

Sorento

The contact owns a 2004 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that they had to replace the headlights on the vehicle 74 times. The contact also stated that they had to purchase a new battery every year. The contact stated that every time the vehicle hit a bump she could hear the electrical system surging and the lights began to flicker. The dealer stated that they could not find anything wrong with the headlights or the electrical system. The failure and current mileages were 12000.

- Bloomington, IN, USA

Oct 212008

Sorento

I have a 2004 Kia sorrento with 57,000 miles. I have owned it for 2 years. The headlights and brake lights continuously go out. I have replaced each headlight 4 times in the past year and the brake lights have been replaced 5 times in the past year. This is a safety hazard as I never know when my brake lights are out unless someone stops and tells me.

- Aurora, IL, USA

Jul 062008

Sorento

My sister purchased this vehicle new and has had nothing but problems with it and problems with dealership/Kia honoring their 10 year/100,000 mile warranty. She purchased this vehicle believing she would be driving a quality vehicle (advertising 10 year/100,000 mile warranty she assumed it must be of high quality because who would offer that kind of warranty if it was junk....wrong!) she has had nothing but stress, financial expense, lost work time, and a battle of her life trying to seek consumer justice...dealership, Kia motors, lemon law requires a part to fail four times, attorney generals office, conciliation court, writing to ruukivina, oberstar, and most recently amy klobuchar...all failed. No one has said that they will investigate Kia and protect the consumers from this fraudulent automobile manufacturer. Why? the problems she has had with her vehicle consist of rust on the tailgate and rear doors just a few months after purchasing, all kinds of electrical problems from headlights and tail lights burning out numerous times, the digital dash for radio and heater going black, the heater not work, a relay switch for fan failed, foam between windshield and frame coming out tapping on the window, a problem with the coolant reservoir, the rear driveshaft failed, the transmission had to be replaced and most recently the transfer case. Safety issues and concerns would be with tail lights and headlights burning out prematurely and frequently and the crankshaft bolt broke causing to loose all ability to steer the vehicle. There are probably other problems she has had with the vehicle but I do not recall at this time.

- Eveleth, MN, USA

Aug 252007

Sorento 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Kia Sorento. While driving 65 mph she could smell something burning. The vehicle was pulled over and turned off. There was smoke coming from under the hood. The check engine warning indicator light was illuminated. There was fluid leaking under the vehicle and catching fire as it hit the ground. The vehicle burst into flames within 5 minutes. The fire department extinguished the fire. The vehicle was towed to a tow yard, the cause of the failure was undetermined. The current and failure mileages were 60,000.

- Burlingame, CA, USA

Feb 032007

Sorento

I purchased a 2004 Kia Sorento two years ago. It was not long before I began to experience numerous problems with my vehicle. Tail lights/brake lights burning out frequently which is a major safety issue since I deliver rural usda mail. Now my transmission is broken!! Kia-duluth asked if I had had the transmission flushed at the specified mileage and that they will need verification of this. (I knew immediately their objective was to not honor their warranty (10 years/100,000 mile warranty if I had not flushed the transmission). I faxed them the receipt indicating the transmission had been flushed. I contacted Kia-duluth the following day because I had not heard from them. He said he had not heard back from Kia yet to authorize the repair. This vehicle has caused me so much lost work time, stress and has been emotionally draining for the past two years. Kia's deceptive advertising - I believed that since Kia was offering a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty, their vehicle must be really good. Boy was I wrong! Kia is building vehicles with defective parts and materials and has set-up their warranty plan to be able to void them from having to honor their warranty plan and having any responsibility. For further complaints on Kia vehicles, please contact the better business bureau and attorney general offices across the country and you will find numerous complaints. Numerous complaints by consumers are also located at the following websites: www.my3cents.com and www.consumeraffairs.com. Kia needs to be investigated and put a stop to their scamming and defrauding the consumer and before someone gets seriously hurt or killed due to numerous defective parts in their vehicles.

- Iron, MN, USA

Sep 132005

Sorento 4WD

In less than a year consumer headlight went out and the back hatch window was leaking inside the vehicle every time it rained. The headlight assembly was replaced on November 30, 2004 and five minutes after the new bulb was installed it shattered. On that same date the consumer experienced problem with the clock and HVAC indicators. Updated 03/30/07.

- Frankford, DE, USA