1. replace engine (1 reports)
2004 Kia Sorento engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Kia Sorento:

2004 Kia Sorento Owner Comments

Dec 252015

Sorento LX V6

click to see larger images

pulley bolt broke

I bought this car used Nov.30, 2015 as a Christmas present for my youngest daughter in college. She has not gotten it yet and we have not been able to put it on the road since. The little old lady claimed she never had a problem with it. My only concern I conveyed to her was, which I stated more than once, was "I'm buying this for my daughter in college, I need a reliable vehicle to keep her safe."

So I bought the vehicle and driving it home, I noticed the brakes went almost to the floor. I thought probably just brake pads, so I fearfully drove it home with my husband following behind me. Had it looked at and found rear calipers were locked on both sides, so replaced them, so also replaced rear brake pads.

Went to take my oldest daughter to work, car was pulling to right and 2 miles up the road check engine light came on. Found battery was bad, replaced, took car immediately to test alternator--also bad, replaced. Had pulling to the right problem checked out and found front rotors bad, replaced and also replaced front brake pads. While fixing, found front ball joint bad. Ball joints are pressed into the wheel bearing on this vehicle. Was able to get wb unit off of car. If it couldn't be pulled off without 'mushrooming', the whole axle would have to have been replaced. Fortunately, it did come off so got that repaired.

On Christmas, my daughter took it to go home 2 hrs away. About 1 hr away check engine light came on. She stopped and checked fluid levels. She drove a little farther and battery and brake fluid light came on. Stopped at a red light, started to go on green and tried to turn right and lost power steering. Saw 2 belts were off. Parked it. Had it towed to a garage and was told the crank shaft bolt broke off and also roll pin broke. This would cost about $380 just to take it apart to see what might have to be done with it. 1/2 the bolt is still screwed in. Maybe if it can be drilled out, the engine wouldn't have to be replaced, but I can't count on that. So I had it towed privately to my home and here it sits.

I tried getting the person who sold me the car to reimburse me some of the money but of course, they are ignoring me. My local mechanic said the bolt that broke off in the crank shaft was not the correct size, so some incompetent already replaced it. Since everything is wrong with this vehicle, I'm just going to assume it will need an engine. Once fixed, no way in hell will I keep it.

- , Harpursville, NY, USA