2.1

2004 Kia Sorento engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Kia Sorento:

2004 Kia Sorento Owner Comments

Feb 072015

Sorento 4WD 6-cyl

Driving down the road and all of a sudden I have no power and can not go over 25 mph. How safe is that on the highway, especially as I am driving with my kids!!!?? this has happened twice. The 1st time, it self corrected when I went to take it to the dealer to look at. This time, it has not. The lights constantly go off and on at any moments notice (real safe while driving at night)- and remain off for great lengths of time. I have had to replace the fuse that controls the fan in the engine twice already. I would shut the car off and the fan would not turn off unless I popped the hood and pulled the fuse myself and pocketed it until it was time to drive again. Not to mention major rust issues on the body of the vehicle. The cosmetic I can deal with, the losing power while on the highway I cannot. It is just a matter of time until someone is very seriously injured, or killed. The smell of exhaust comes thorugh the vents, even with normal scheduled maintenance. This car is full of dangers and I am shocked there are not recalls of these issues. In particular, the losing power while driving, and the lights turning on and off for no reason. Try googling any of this and you will be amazed how many people are dealing with the same issues. Unbelievable that these complaints have not been taken into serious consideration.

- Ypsilanti , MI, USA

Aug 092013

Sorento

We purchased our Sorento used (approx 65K miles)about 3 years ago. Since then, we've had to replace the gas tank ($1500) among other things. This year has been absurd: Had to replace the radiator, water pump, computer system (2 months, $4700), brakes ($750) and 2 batteries. 2-3 months ago, we noticed a clunking/chunking sound that grew steadily worse. It sounded as if the 4WD was engaging and disengaging every 3 seconds and felt very unsafe at high speeds. I took it to Kia of cobb county and was just given a quote Friday for a new transfer case, drive shaft, "rear end chunk" (all the service rep could tell me) and 4 new tires. Quote for this work ($9767). The transfer case alone was around $5700. This vehicle now has 112K miles and is less than 10 years old. The blue book value is (was) around $5-6000 and we're told it'll take $10,000 to fix it? I called Kia's corporate office to ask if this was to be expected at Kia. I was told that our vehicle was not under warranty. I said, " I'm just asking if there's anyone at Kia headquarters who believes in their product and wants to protect the Kia name and you just keep apologizing." The rep responded, "I'm sorry, sir." We've found multiple complaints online from Kia owners reporting similar issues (chunking, transfer case, etc). When does this become.a recall issue" a safety issue"

- Marietta, GA, USA

Jun 032004

Sorento 4-cyl

Speedometer reads fast. According to Kia at 60 mph it is in tolarence plus or minus 7-8 mph.

- Sacramento, CA, USA