2005 Kia Sorento electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Kia Sorento:

2005 Kia Sorento Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 052015

The vehicle has had several electronic issues. One owner with a garage parked low mileage SUV. The driver seat will not move forward. All other adjustments work fine. This issue has happened several times over the years but now seems to be a permanent problem. The interior overhead light does not illuminate when you open the doors, the driver side door open alarm dings for no apparent reason and the brake lights continually burn out.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Mar 062015

Driving apporox 55mph, my lights seemed to dim then my battery and brake light came on. I immediately turned my heater, radio, dashboeard lights and lights to low. I continued driving for nothing else seemed to be wrong and was going to pulll over when I noticed my power steering also was not working. I was able to get myself to a safe place to stop and put the car in park, it began making an odd sound (thinking a possible belt) it then made a popping sound thinking I broke a serpentine belt, I then turned the engine off and had my mechanic look at it. He said the crankshaft bolt had broken off and was an estimated $3000+ repair. I have also had issues with crankshaft sensor which caused my car to not turn over without a jump. After that was repaired I had to buy a new battery that prior to the winter season tested out to be good. Ihave also been told I need to replace a spark plug which could cost hundreds to replace because of the location. I have to replace headlights/taillights more than normal.I have seem to have issues with allignment and have put 2 sets of tires on after noticing abnormal wear on the insides, ive had it alligned twice. I still owe $6100 on a car that I would have to put $3000 into and now have nothing to drive!

- Williamsfield, OH, USA

Mar 052013

Vehicle has had continual premature light bulb burnouts of all exterior lamps, headlights, tail lights and stop lights. This happens every 1-2 months.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 092007

The contact owns a 2005 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that there was a burning odor of wires present in the vehicle and the headlights failed. In addition, the air conditioner failed and that the four wheel drive would not engage. The failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the compressor failed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 20,000.

- Millville, NJ, USA

Jun 242005

Headlights, brake light, interior light, radio, have all failed multiple times. I replace headlights and break lights every three months. I have had both headlights go out, one before I could get the other fixed. None of the dome lights work, I have no automatic lighting in the car. They dim based on weather and the terrain I am driving on. The radio went out shortly after I bought it, and the same thing happened shortly after. Sometimes it works and sometimes the car has to be running for a while before it will work. So many problems.

- Meridian, ID, USA

Jun 072013

Sorento 4WD 6-cyl

Interior electrical lighting turns itself off and on. Headlights will occasionally shut themselves off. Lights regularly burn out/need replacing every 45-90 days. Dash lights haven't worked in over a year - fuse regularly blows, gave up on replacing it.

- Conyers, GA, USA

Nov 222013

Driving approximately 55mph 22 Nov 2013, heard a thump from engine compartment, and lost all power to vehicle, ending up in a ditch. Engine stopped, no steering, no brakes. Dash lights illuminated. Vehicle would not re-start. Crank pulley bolt broke off. Over 5 hours to extract remainder of bolt to repair engine. $1359 in repairs. Now, 22 Sept 2014, 10 months later, had same happen on highway at 70mph in heavy traffic. Thankful I was in a lane at the edge of the roadway. Current mileage slightly under 114,000. Yeah. 10 months and 13000 miles and another huge repair bill. No recall, Kia claims no liability. Other issue: Interior lighting turns itself off and on at whim. Headlights burn out every 45-90 days.

- Conyers, GA, USA

Jul 302014

On 7/30/14 I noticed my dashboard lights were not working. The morning of 7/31/14 the lights still were not working so I checked the fuse boxes. I found a blown fuse in the fuse box under the hood and replaced it. The dashboard lights still would not work. The evening of 7/31/14 I again checked the fuses and found the fuse I had just replaced in the morning was again blown. I replaced the fuse and had my husband stand at the front of the vehicle while I turned the ignition and headlight switch on. Immediately upon turning on the headlight switch we heard a "pop, " checked the fuse and it had once again blown. We tried a third fuse and it blew as well as soon as I turned on the headlight switch. Three fuses in one day and still no answer on how to get my dashboard lights to work.

- Yeagertown, PA, USA

Mar 032014

I bought my Kia new it has sports package, I have had to replain shop all the time ce headlights 4 times the last 6 months it has been total mess power steering pressure hoses blew out then in may went to air port picked up daughter car was nothing no start tow truck..auto shop first said plug in reader said crank shaft sensor then it said starter bad so replaced starter it starts but it now whines I took it back he said it is the starter brand. I am always worried if it will start and if I have lights I love my Kia but it has had electric problems from day 1 Kia should recall 2005 due to this. Last night I was driving and it went from reg drive to low it has shifter it has button that has to be pushed in to change drive over drive low I never pushed it it did it on its own there is a big problem wish Kia would step up and recall I want to keep my car it is well taken car of but I cant keep pouring money in it big $ last 6 months over 2500 is there a way to do law suit I have seen tons pep with headlights issues sents I replaced my first ones also paint on doors open all gone I never even use back seat doors so how is it coming off is there a lawyer out here who oiwns a Kia help......

- Lehighton, PA, USA

Jul 042005

I have a 2005 Kia Sorento. I have had a problem with my headlights since I have had my car which I bought new in 2005. I have taken it to the dealer in valdosta ga several times to find out about it and they always say it's not a recall so they can't do anything about it. I have to replace headlights and taillights every 3 or 4 months. It is very expensive. My dome light hasn't worked in years and my check engine light stays on all the time. I know there is some kind of defect in the electrical system and it's been this way from the beginning. The 10 year/100,000.00 mile warranty is about useless with this car. There has not been one thing since I have had the car that was covered under warranty. I will never buy a Kia again and I certainly want ever use Kia in valdosta ga again, they have the worst service I have ever seen. There favorite thing to say is "it's not covered under our warranty!" that is supposedly there big selling point and it is worthless! everyone who is having the same trouble needs to complain so we can get this recalled and fixed. I wish I knew where to complain to that could make that happen. They don't really care in valdosta whether you complain or not, there not going to do anything about it anyway. Well I have been stopped numerous times by the police for my lights being out. So far I have not got a ticket, but it is highly dangerous to have no lights while driving at night and you never know when they are going to be out. I know I am not the only one having this problem, I have well over 100 emails from repair pal about others having headlight problems. This needs to be recalled before someone is killed in an accident and then sue the Kia company. Sick of buying headlights!

- Jasper, FL, USA

Dec 092013

Sorento 6-cyl

Recently, our 2005 Kia Sorento began having electrical problems when the headlights are on at night. The interior dash lights including the radio, etc. Will randomly go off and on. Last night, the dome lights came on and began flashing involuntarily. I am concerned with an electrical issue that will lead to further damage. I have been researching recalls on this vehicle, but cannot see that there is one for this issue. I did however see other consumers with the same complaint. We purchased this vehicle brand new in 2005 and other than regular maintenance we have not had any major issues. I thought that I would purchase another Kia in the future, but now that I see Kia is doing nothing to fix this electrical problem I am reconsidering that decision.

- Dardanelle, AR, USA

Oct 022007

The contact owns a 2005 Kia Sorento. The contact stated was driving uphill when the throttle failed to engage. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the wiring into the transmission was overheating and causing the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 10,000 and the current mileage was 80,000.

- Little Orleans , MD, USA

May 302013

My 2005 Sorento started stalling & shutting down while driving down the hwy at 65 mph (happens at any speed). Code comes up for bad crank shaft sensor, this will be the 3rd time in 4 years I will have replaced it. This has caused some "close calls" while on the hwy, avoiding other vehicles & nearly being rear ended several times.

- Bloomington, IN, USA

May 042013

Today I took our 05 Sorento in for an oil change. It came as no surprise to me that during the 20 point inspection I was told the driver's side headlight didn't work. This is beyond ridiculous at this point. I have already changed burnt out headlights a minimum of 5-7 times now. I can't even keep up with the count. Like many other owners I have tried every make and type of headlight and none of them will last more than a few months. This recent set was the top of the line and I had to pay $80 for the two lights. Still don't last. It seems that Kia knows about this issue but is unwilling or too cheap to pay have their issue fixed. I'm not the only owner with this problem. Look it up! the car has operated fine other than this but it has become a hassle and is very costly replacing headlights every few months! this will be the last Kia that I buy unless Kia steps up and fixes this issue. They have a new wiring harness that can help/fix this problem but of course owners have to pay for this out of pocket. Step up Kia or enjoy losing a client from here on out!

- Orting, WA, USA

Apr 042012

Headlight and dome bulbs burns out very often, I spend more money replacing bulbs than oil change, obviously there is an electrical problem on this model. Please let them fix this issue.

- Pembroke Pines , FL, USA

Aug 022010

This car is a safety hazard. Headlights/tail lights/dashboard lights burn out within months of replacements. Just burned through 5 fuses for the dashboard in one day. Dealership will not fix as there has been no recall. Google the make and model and you will see many electrical issues and angry owners. Have a teen driver in the family and we are afraid to let her even drive this car. Please recall this model and make Kia own up to their responsibilities!!!!

- Minnetonka, MN, USA

May 092010

Sorento 6-cyl

Over the last 4 years I have replaced the battery 3 times. Each time, the car had been sitting for a day or 2 and when I attempted to use it, the car/battery was dead. I have seen on line that the tccu (transfer case control unit) is probably the culprit and it is almost impossible to identify because the computer will show no history of it. Evidently, on rare occasions the computer will begin running diagnostics on the tccu when the car is being shut off. The drain on the system is enough to wipe out the battery. I have contacted Kia - they do not acknowledge the problem and all they want to do is run a diagnostics test which will tell them nothing and will cost me more money. The cost of a new tccu is about $1500, probably why Kia has no interest in replacing it.

- Chelmsford, MA, USA

Jul 162012

Sorento 6-cyl

I've repeatedly had to replace the headlights in this car every couple of months. When one light is replaced, the other side goes out next. This has happened several times for the past several years. I have 189,000 miles on the car now. I don't remember exactly when it started. My driver seat also stopped working. The back goes forward and back, but the base seat doesn't move.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Mar 272012

Sorento 4WD 6-cyl

Headlight bulbs have gone out at least once a month since I have purchased vehicle used. Have to keep spare bulbs in vehicle in case it happened again at night which I would not be able to drive with my normal headlights ig I had not carried the spare ones in Sorento. Brake lights have gone out 3 times since I have purchased Sorento in March 2012. Lighting interior does not work unless you manually push the button from the top of ceiling. Door ajar" light came on and started beeping all doors were tightly shut. Was told that the seat belt harness metal part may have caused the drivers door to bend or knock off the diode button.

- Ennis, TX, USA

Jun 132006

Sorento 6-cyl

Everything from interior lights, radio, clock, door locks and headlights burning out have been a problem. While driving and the interior lights just come on. Headlights burn out every 6 months. Everything else works when it wants. I took Kia to court to get a equal trade but only got $9,000. Had to give $3,500 to the lawyers. The other $5,500 was not even enough to cover a trade in because the Kia have a terrible value for trades. Ended up spending more than half trying to have it repaired, still nothing. Kia knows there is a problem but will not address it. Even the several service managers (off the record) that I spoke with through my horrific experience told me that it's a huge problem and they don't want to do anything because of the cost.

- East Greenville, PA, USA