2007 Kia Sorento electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Kia Sorento:

2007 Kia Sorento Owner Comments

Apr 112016

Sorento

Daughter was driving the vehicle when the turn signals started flashing. As she pulled to a stop, someone came up to her window and told her there was smoke coming from the back of the vehicle. She pulled in to a parking lot to call me. When I arrived at the vehicle there was a small fire coming from underneath the right rear of the vehicle. Fire department was called and fire was out by the time they arrived. Fire department looked underneath the vehicle and found that the trailer hitch wiring harness shorted out and started on fire. My daughter was not towing anything at the time. Wiring harness is oem

- Arlington Heights, IL, USA

Mar 242015

Sorento

Takata recall I have had my 07' Sorento to several places. I originally took it to the place I biought it from. I was referred to a Kia dealership, which took my car apart twice and ran a camera through it and replaced the rear crank shaft. Then I replaced every sensor and spark plug ion the thing and also had power steering problems. It sounded loud and was always needing parts but in the spring, I pulled in my driveway and left my car running a few minutes while I got things outside taken care of because it was dark, ( the car has approx.124,000 miles on it) while it sat in my driveway for maybe 5 minutes it spit and sputtered and died in my driveway. I tried to restart it and it would barely start running. I took it to have it looked at once again and was told timing chain, electrical and crank shaft again. Needs new engine most likely and no one wants to work on it because it has some many issues! so, I am paying a loan for this car that has been sitting in my driveway for months because I will not and cannot pay for this vehicle to have anymore work done!

- Albany, OH, USA

Nov 222015

Sorento

I own a 2007 Kia Sorento. Recently, my check engine and ESC off lights became illuminated on my dashboard. I noticed that my brake lights were not illuminating when I pressed the brake pedal. After looking up my car make and model on the NHTSA website, I noticed there was a recall for my model year Sorento for the exact same problems (NHTSA campaign number 13V114000/Kia service campaign SC098). I took the carto my local Kia dealership and they told me I was not eligible for the recall as my VIN was not included. As such, I have to drive around without functional brake lamps until I get this problem resolved--increasing my chances of being rear-ended. I travel constantly for work so I do not have the luxury of not driving. This needs to be investigated and resolved.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Aug 012013

Sorento 4WD 6-cyl

When opening doors, the dome light no longer would turn on. This eventually continued until the front lights no longer turn on, and now the rear hatch lights do not turn on either. The lights work when they are manually turned on, just not when the doors open. It was checked by a repair shop and they say it is not a switch issue (as the lights on three of the doors still light when open). They feel it is an electrical issue and found hundreds of posts from as far back as 2003 Sorentos with the same issues. The lights not turning on is a huge safety issue for myself and my family trying to enter a pitch black vehicle at night time.

- Oshkosh, WI, USA

May 272014

Sorento

Part was already replaced on a mandatory recall. Now the replacements for the recall are failing. Kia will not stand behind the repair costs, this means many people will be driving with out brake lights. I am on my third switch- the part should easily out live the car! I am sure they replaced it with the same exact part thinking most people would be out of the vehicle by the time it failed again. I am sure this is not what you had in mind when you issued the other recalls on this part.

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 222012

Sorento

Sunday morning, I was driving my vehicle at a speed of less than 45 mph. The "check engine" light and "ESC off" light came on simultaneously. At the same time, my vehicle lost power and would not change out of 2nd gear. I pulled into a nearby parking lot, turned off the vehicle, and waited for one minute. I restarted the vehicle and it cranked just fine. I pulled out of the parking lot and went no more than 30 yards when the lights came back on and my vehicle lost power completely - no response when pressing the gas pedal. I coasted into a loading area where I was forced to call aaa to have my vehicle towed to the nearest car repair center. I communicated with them throughout the day Monday, and the end result was this: My vehicle was taken to the charlotte Kia dealership and a test was done to read and determine the error. The diagnosis was a faulty "transfer case decoder motor", something I had never even heard of. The repair is going to cost approximately $1,000 because of associated diagnostic tests and the part itself costing $570. According to what I read on the internet, there is a "service" for this component that is to be done around 45,000 miles. My vehicle has been to the same Kia dealer numerous times and this component has never been addressed. Not once was the "service" mentioned to me by the service team. This is a serious issue that could result in injury or death if it occurred on an interstate or in an intersection. Thankfully, I was in a safe area and no one was at risk of accident or injury. This problem is widespread among Kia vehicles - the service manager at aaa stated he has a 2007 Kia sedan in there right now with the same problem. I feel Kia is at fault and negligent for this malfunction.

- Stanfield, NC, USA

Jul 172009

Sorento

Vehicle ignited from rear left tail light. It was not running nor were the keys in the ignition. Upon contacting Kia, they asked for photos of the damaged vehicle to submit to engineers. The engineers said that the fire didn't have anything to do with a brake light switch recall and offered no other explanation to what started the fire. The vehicle was just sitting in the driveway.

- Cottonwood, AL, USA

Jan 162008

Sorento

I have taken this vehicle to the purchasing dealer 7 times for multiple issues including transmission or torque converter difficulty switching gears, the main wiring harness fell down into the dash, poor braking performance. The major issue has been the random, but daily ESC off light coming on and off. The dealer seems either unwilling or incapable of correcting this issue. I have filed a customer service request we Kia two weeks ago, randy ext 45295 Kia customer service assured me he would żget back to meż in two business days. Today is the seventh business day and no reply. It's my opinion that the ESC issue, wiring harness, and poor braking are issues that should be address in via recall since Kia customer service and warranty commitment are meaning less to Kia corporation.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Jan 112007

Sorento

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Sorento. Three days after purchasing the vehicle, the air bag light illuminated, which indicated that the passenger side air bag was deactivated. While driving between 40-45 mph, the vehicle hesitated and jerked. When the vehicle is stopped at a stop sign or a red light, the exterior lights shut off. The contact has had to strike the dashboard in order to get the air conditioning to work. In addition, none of the windows will roll down. The blinkers, turn signal, and cruise control do not work. After owning the vehicle for ten months, the alternator had to be replaced and it currently needs to be replaced again. The rails to step up into the vehicle had to be replaced twice. During a crash with a deer, both the driver's and passenger side air bags failed to deployed and the seat belts did not work. As a result, the passenger sustained a broken arm. On two occasions, when the vehicle was taken to the dealer, the contact was informed that the tires needed to be rotated and aligned. On the third occasion, she was informed that the vehicle was out of warranty. Since owning the vehicle, she has been to the dealer several times with many complaints, but they have never made any repairs. A Hyundai inspector stated that the entire vehicle was out of specifications. The failure mileage was 600. Updated 09/23/08. The consumer hit a deer and the air bags did not deploy and the seat belts did not perform as they were designed. The transmission would delay in shifting and would not shift in the correct gear. Updated 09/24/08.

- Loachapoka, AL, USA