2007 Kia Sorento seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Kia Sorento:

2007 Kia Sorento Owner Comments

Aug 212016

Sorento

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that the front passenger side door was jammed and the air bag warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 90,000.

- Perris, CA, USA

Sep 062016

Sorento

I received a recall notice on my 2007 Kia Sorento to have the clock spring replaced. Prior to taking the carto the dealer the airbag warning light came on. I took the car to the franklin tn dealership assuming the light was caused by the clock spring recall. The tech informed me that it was caused by the OCS mat in the passenger seat and it could be fixed for $2,200+. he also said that I did not need a clock spring. When I checked on the clock spring recall I see my car now has no recalls active. With the same OCS mat problem being covered on the spectra model I feel the Sorento should also be included in the extended coverage.

- Fairview, TN, USA

Apr 042016

Sorento

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Sorento. While driving 15 mph, the air bag warning light illuminated. The failure occurred constantly. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the passenger sensor mat failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 59,000.

- Fort Sill, OK, USA

Nov 032014

Sorento

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that the driver and the passenger side air bag warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was not available. Office email ricardo.rodriguez@faa.gov

- Bavie, FL, USA

Jul 102007

Sorento

2007 Kia Sorento passenger seat air bag alarm - due to seat sensor problems or other problems. Problem has recurred hundreds of times since purchased new. Advised by service manager of greer, SC Kia that fault was due to passenger not sitting properly in seat with feet positioned properly but advised by a Kia technician, confidentially, that this is not true. Passenger seat sensor was adjusted after several visits but fault recurs time after time which means the passenger air bag will not deploy in the event of a crash. Kia does not appear to take matter seriously. This could result in deaths. Other dealer representatives refers the problem back to service manager only. Number of complaints: At least six or more - to little avail. Problem still exists from time to time. Usually the passenger can bounce up and down several times and finally get the alarm to extinguish showing normal air bag operation for the passenger side. Wrote letter to regional Kia dealership to no avail. Called Kia help line to no avail. Only told to refer problem to Kia dealership service manager. Incident date since time of purchase in June or July, 2007. Guessing purchase date since it has been a few years. Still own vehicle.

- Piedmont, SC, USA

Aug 172014

Sorento

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Sorento. While driving 10 mph, the driver side air bag warning indicator illuminated. The failure occurred numerous times and was similar to the failure listed in NHTSA campaign number: 11V473000 (air bags). The dealer stated that the sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 125,000.

- Davie, FL, USA

Aug 072014

Sorento

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Sorento. While driving approximately 45 mph, the passenger side air bag warning indicator illuminated. The failure occurred intermittently at various speeds. The dealer could not diagnose the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 2,000.

- Lake Park, NC, USA

Jul 072014

Sorento

The air bag light on my 2007 Kia Sorento remains illuminated while driving the car. Upon further investigation I found there was a recall from Kia motors sc076A and also from NHTSA #11V473000 to replace the sensor. I took the vehicle to hart Kia in salem Virginia to have this recall and another recall for brake lights repaired. The dealership repaired the brake issue but told me that my car was not recalled for the passenger air bag sensor and a new seat would cost $1,300. I called Kia motors and filed a claim because my vehicle was manufactured between June 15, 2006 and November 27, 2007. Kia motors and the dealership said they would pay for the seat itself but I would have to pay for the labor. When I asked why I should have to pay for a recall item I was told by both parties that it was not their fault.I did not manufacture the car, I purchased their product. Kia motors should be responsible for the part and the labor, since they installed faulty parts when the car was manufactured. They paid for the part and labor on the brake recall, they can not be selective when repairing recalls. They manufactured the car so they should pay 100% of the repair bill it makes me wonder how many people actually had to pay $1,300 for a recall..

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Jun 012014

Sorento

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Sorento. The contact stated while starting the vehicle, the air bag warning indicator remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the occupant position detection system sensor was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 93,000.

- Beaumont , TX, USA

Oct 232013

Sorento

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that the air bag warning light intermittently illuminated. The manufacturer was contacted and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 11V473000 (air bags). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 119,000.

- Hilliard , FL, USA

Jan 112012

Sorento

TL - the contact owns a 2007 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that the passenger air bag occupancy classification system could not determine when the passenger seat was occupied and would erroneously deactivate the air bag. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed but the failure was unable to be replicated. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 11V473000 (air bags). The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000 and the current mileage was 65,000.

- Onalaska, TX, USA

Jul 202013

Sorento 4WD 6-cyl

Tla* the contact owns a 2007 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, it began to rain heavily and the vehicle suddenly hydro-planed. The consumer regained control of the vehicle, but it hydro -planed again and the vehicle hit an embankment with the front bumper spinning the vehicle around. The vehicle then rolled over four-six times, before landing in a ditch. Both rear seat belts became unlatched independently and the air bags failed to deploy upon impact. The contact sustained bruises, scrapes and lacerations to the shoulder area. Two rear passengers also sustained lacerations. Another passenger suffered from a concussion and a bruised kidney. A police report was filed of the incident. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to a salvage center. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000. Updated 08/27/13 the consumer stated the air bag did not deploy and the seat belts release

- Ashland, KY, USA

Jul 202013

Sorento 6-cyl

We were traveling down I-64 at 6:45 pm at 70 mph when a downpour began suddenly my husband eased off of the accelerator and as we entered the rain. We began to hydroplane we spun 180 degrees. He regained control only to hydroplane again. This time he did a 360 and went into a ditch hitting a earthen embankment with the front fender spinning us around and pushing the rear of the car up the embankment this then caused the car to begin rolling we rolled at least 4 times before sliding at least 100 yards down the interstate. No airbags deployed. My husbands seat belt held. However, I was in the back seat with our son and my seat belt as well as his released throwing us into the cargo area. We all were injured and transported to the hospital by ambulance. When we notified Kia they acted as if this was no big deal.

- Ashland, KY, USA

Aug 012009

Sorento

The passenger side airbag sensor in my 2007 Kia Sorento has failed intermittently ever since I purchased the vehicle in 2009. It fails at least 50% of the time when a passenger is in the seat (sometimes >200 lbs.) upon complaining to the dealer, they continued to insist that the passenger was not sitting properly in the seat. This is ridiculous. I know of no other cars where that is an issue. The dealer says to get out and back in again, but that is not going to happen when you are on a busy highway going 65 mph and realize the airbag is not on. So, then they say to lift your butt up for 10 seconds and then sit back down. It sometimes works, but takes a few tries. And, do you know how embarrassing that is to ask a guest (particularly if a business guest) to do that" again, it is just so ridiculous that I fear owners will ignore it thus putting their passengers at risk. So, I was thrilled to see that there was finally a recall of the 2007 Sorento passenger airbag sensor in the fall of 2011. Finally, they admit there is a problem. However, then the dealer says that my VIN is not covered by the recall. Really??" this recall needs to be expanded. I am taking my car back again next week and if it is not replaced by Kia, I will be calling the Kia headquarters legal department to complain. If you can help get this recall expanded so that I and others do not have to go through this, I would greatly appreciate it.

- Arnold, MD, USA

Feb 102009

Sorento

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Sorento. While the contact started the ignition, the front passenger side air bag warning indicator began to illuminate. The failure occurred whenever an occupant was positioned in the front passenger seat and weighed 115 pounds or less. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer on five different occasions for the same failure. The computer software was updated and on a separate occasion, the side air bag detention sensor was replaced. The failure continued to occur after each repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 14,000.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Apr 192010

Sorento

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that the passenger air bag occupancy classification system could not determine when the passenger seat was occupied and would erroneously deactivate the air bag. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 11V473000 (air bags:frontal:sensor/control module) but was advised by an authorized dealer that the vehicle was not included in the recall. The manufacturer was also contacted and confirmed to the contact that the vehicle was not recalled. No repairs were performed. The current mileage was 55,736 and the failure mileage was 39,325.

- Torrance, CA, USA

Aug 032009

Sorento

Had a recall on Kia Sorento- 2007. A year later they call me on it. I told them about recalls when I first received the vehicle. They want me to pay for it first. Then they fixed it a year later and now one of the recalls is acting up again. Now it is something with the itu control "??" so after they default on our contract about my personal info they had extra finance charge because I was sick and had a warranty. They refused on that too! so they repo my car after I told them to come and get it. Total of 4 recalls on a car I bought two years ago.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Aug 102008

Sorento

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that the air bag indicator illuminates while the passenger seat is occupied. The vehicle has been taken to the dealer approximately four times; however, the contact believes that the failure has not been repaired. The dealer stated that they needed to order a part for the third time. The failure mileage was 7,634 and current mileage was 9,654. Updated 01/09/09. Updated 01/09/09

- North Tazell, VA, USA

Sep 222008

Sorento

Attempt to fix airbag system module and seatbelt assy failed three times by authorized Kia dealerships (03/08/08, 09/22/08, 10/01/08). Vehicle was sold to me by authorized Kia dealer as a precertified used car with manufacturer warranty with 12000 miles on 09/05/08. Kia manufacturer notified of failed attempts on 10/02/08 & have been asked to purchase or replace the vehicle under ca civil code(s) 1792, 1794.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jul 232007

Sorento 4-cyl

2007 Kia optima passenger air bag will not in gage win in set. Does not happen all the time. Air bag light tells you when it is not on. Kia has replaced set did not fix the problem. Been told by Kia that not sitting in the seat right. It happens with all types of passengers, but dose not happen all the time. Kia has said that we need to have seeting lessens. We have video tapes and pictures of this, plus wittness of this happing. I feel I am driving a unsafe car. Please help me.

- Bloomington, IN, USA