CarComplaints.com Notes: Kia really changed the design of the Sorento in the 2011 model year. Instead of a truck-like body-on-frame more capable of offroad adventures, the newest Sorento is a unibody construction and is much more crossover than sport utility. The changes brought a whole slew of problems, including a frustrating problem where the door that won’t open. Is it too late to go back?

2011 Kia Sorento accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Kia Sorento:

2011 Kia Sorento Owner Comments

Apr 132014

Sorento 6-cyl

Rear seat latches break. 1st occurrence approx 60K miles. Broken again approx 70K miles. Latches very difficult to use. May break and leave seat useless in down position. Currently broken with seat stuck in upright position. Appears to break while vehicle stationary. Kia seems to have issues w latches in general. Am aware warranty extension for door latches (2 of mine have broken). Thank you!!!

- Springfield, MO, USA

May 252015

Sorento

The second row seats do not correctly release or latch.

- Bowling Green, OH, USA

Jul 072016

Sorento

Kia sent a notice that they are extending the warranty for the front airbag clock spring assembly. My airbag light is staying illuminated so I took it into the dealer for a diagnostic. The dealer informed me that the issue is not the clock spring assembly its the occupant classification mat. This means that if I am in a crash my front airbag will not deploy and I am risking the life of my passenger. Why is this issue not included with the notice that they sent since it also involves the airbag and the airbag sensor?

- Upper Darby, PA, USA

Dec 182015

Sorento

The back seat on the drivers side will not go back to the proper upright position. I put down the seat in order to take some materials needed for my job, when I tried to return back to the upright position it only went so far, now when my son is in his car seat he is leaning forward and a slight angle. If an accident were to happen and I was hit on the drivers side and the airbag were to deploy it would literally hit my son at such an angle as to possibly seriously injure or kill him. I went to get it replaced and because I had gone over my mileage by 1300 miles they stated that it would cost me $550 to correct this issue. I feel this is a serious safety violation and I should not have to pay to get it repaired.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Jan 112016

Sorento

When out to my Kia and I hit the unlock button. Attempted to open the front passenger door. Didn't open, so I hit the unlock again, still wouldn't open. So I walked around and opened the drivers side and reached over, the door opened. This is the first time for this door. But I've had this happen to me to the rear drive side door and had to have the door handle replaced. The Kia was sitting in the driveway not running and that door doesn't have near as much use as some of the others. Also the back seat on the passenger side won't go down. I am assuming the cable is broke. Again this was not used much since I got the Kia almost 4 years ago. I think I used this feature 2 times and it wouldn't work after that.

- Strattanville, PA, USA

Aug 152015

Sorento

The contact owns a 2011 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that the rear driver side seat adjuster was stuck past the upright position and failed to adjust. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 53,000.

- Tempe, AZ, USA

Sep 012014

Sorento

The passenger side retractable rear seat became more difficult to operate since purchasing the vehicle new. Finally it became stuck to the extent that it could not be moved in either direction. This occurred one month after the warranty expired.

- Spring, TX, USA

Jul 202015

Sorento

Dash light with the airbag logo came on as I was starting up today, and stayed on. Went straight to Kia dealership, the one we always use. Service advisor said he's seen a lot of them, same problem. He agreed that $2,000 was very expensive for this repair. This malfunction disables all the airbags. In the event of an accident, we are toast. Kelly blue book rates this vehicle at a value of $9500, in mint condition, which this is. 21% of the value for a repair" are you kidding me" very disappointed that this is an issue for so many ( I did check the internet, it's a common problem) and no one chooses to take it seriously. We just went around with the tire pressure monitoring system, and finally they replaced that on a recall, but we had a blowout on I-81 at 70 mph that could've ended our life.....someone needs to look into this. I appreciate anything you can do.

- Liverpool, NY, USA

Jun 142011

Sorento

The contact owns a 2011 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that the driver's seat control cover was fractured. The seat cover plastic became hooked onto the contact's pants and caused her to fall to the ground, injuring her knee. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they advised that they were unable to determine why the seat cover continued to fail. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified and they stated that they were aware of the failure but provided no assistance. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Jul 152011

Sorento

The contact owns a 2011 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that the fuse box panel under the driver seat detached completely, exposing the wires. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer three different times for the same failure and the fuse box panel was replaced each time. The technician advised that the front driver seat would need to be replaced because the defect was a manufacturing flaw. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 1,000.

- San Antonio, TX, USA