CarComplaints.com Notes: Kia really changed the design of the Sorento in the 2011 model year. Instead of a truck-like body-on-frame more capable of offroad adventures, the newest Sorento is a unibody construction and is much more crossover than sport utility. The changes brought a whole slew of problems, including a frustrating problem where the door that won’t open. Is it too late to go back?

2011 Kia Sorento body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Kia Sorento:

2011 Kia Sorento Owner Comments

May 152016

Sorento

The contact owns a 2011 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that the rear driver side door would not open from the outside. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The dealer diagnosed that the door lock would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was invalid. The failure mileage was 95,000.

- De Queen, AR, USA

Jul 172016

Sorento

I have been having problems with my driver door and passenger door opening from the outside. I have to open the back door to get in to the front. This has been going on for over 3 years. I've spoken to the dealer ship place where I got the car from, and they informed me it was nothing they could do about it. I also took it to the Kia dealership and they told me it's not a recall or anything can do about it unless I pay for them to fix it. I don't think this is right at all. I am not a ruff driver and I try to take good care of my car. I do not feel as if I should have to pay for this. There are so many people complaining about the same thing going on with their doors and we are not getting any help at all. They are not worrying that we have to pay the car note plus the car insurance and its nothing they can do unless we pay for it. Not to mention if it was someone trying to harm me and my kids. We would have to go through the back door to get in the front to start the car and pull off. That's not if you was to go on cargurus.com you would see all the complaints. Is there anything that you all can help us with please let us know. Thank you. Also the date I put in is not correct it would not let me put 2014.

- Macon, GA, USA

Jun 032016

Sorento

The contact owns a 2011 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that the driver side exterior door handle fractured without warning. As a result, the door only opened from the inside. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but the cause of the failure was unable to be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 28,900.

- Thibodaux, LA, USA

Jun 062016

Sorento

The contact owns a 2011 Kia Sorento. While the vehicle was parked, the rear doors failed to open. The mechanic stated that the rear door panel was warped and needed replacement. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Portland, OR, USA

May 092016

Sorento

The contact owns a 2011 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that the front and rear driver side doors locked and failed to open. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Rialto, CA, USA

May 022016

Sorento

The contact owns a 2011 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that the rear driver side door did not open without warning. The vehicle was taken to a local dealer where it was diagnosed that a practice piece fell off and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure was not remedied. The failure mileage was 92,000.

- Asheville, NC, USA

Jun 172015

Sorento

The contact owns a 2011 Kia sorenta. The contact stated that the rear driver side door would not open from outside the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that there was a cosmetic failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 131,940.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Dec 312015

Sorento

The contact owns a 2011 Kia Sorento. While attempting to open the doors, the front passenger side door failed to unlock form the outside electronically. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but the contact was unsure about what part needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 54,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Sep 092015

Sorento

The contact owns a 2011 Kia Sorento. While entering the driver side of the vehicle, the door failed to open. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the bar on the door needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 74,000.

- Capitol Heights, MD, USA

Sep 092015

Sorento

The contact owns a 2011 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that the chrome on the door handle was peeling and caused a passenger to sustain cuts to the hand when attempting to open the door. It was unknown which door handle experienced the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 88,200. The consumer stated the defective door handle, was on the driver's side rear passenger door. Updated 11/05/15.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

May 272015

Sorento

The contact owns a 2011 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that the rear driver side door failed to open. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the door actuator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 64,050.

- Ladera Ranch, CA, USA

Jun 072015

Sorento

The contact owns a 2011 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that the front driver side door failed to open. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000.

- Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

May 052015

Sorento

The contact owns a 2011 Kia Sorento. While parked, the contact attempted to open the rear driver side door, but it would not open due to the door panel becoming warped from the outside heat. The failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was repaired, but the details were unknown. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 95,000.

- Howard, PA, USA

Dec 182014

Sorento 4-cyl

I have had several issues with my Kia Sorento beginning in 2013 two of my doors in the car would not open from the outside only the inside. The doors was the front passenger side and the rear driver side. The most recent door that I am experiencing problems with is the front passenger side. I can not open the door from the outside only the inside. I have also experienced issues with my power windows. Last year the front driver window broke and now this year the rear driver window is broken. I have reached out to Kia numerous of times B/C being locked out of your car is a safety issues. I have had really strange things happening with my Kia that's really unheard of. I have also asked Kia to look into if my car is possibly one of their lemons.

- St Rose, LA, USA

Oct 222014

Sorento 4-cyl

Not able to open back doors one week apart from outside.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Aug 202014

Sorento

Drivers side door could not be opened from the outside. It would only open from inside the car. When this issue is googled I realize this is a common Kia problem.

- Georgetown , KY, USA

May 172012

Sorento 4-cyl

Purchased 2011 Kia Sorento - new- from local dealership on 5/13/2011. In one year (5/17/2012) right-rear passenger door started sticking. Ended up being the door panel sticking on the weather stripping, but this required two subsequent attempts to repair, on 6/6/2012 (weather strip replaced) and 9/5/2012 (door panel replaced) (covered by warranty). This final solution of replacing the door panel worked, until 6/19/2014. Same issue, with the same door, recurred. The door panel clips have been replaced. The dealer ship opened a case with Kia at our request and adjusted the door strike plate. The problem seemed to be fixed, but within two days, we are ready to take it back to re-address the issue. At this point the mileage has placed the car out of warranty, thus the current cost of the part (the door panel) being $675, plus labor, is on us to bear and likely, based on the previous record will not be the final repair required for this round. We fully expect this same door to fail in another two years. We feel that this issue is a safety hazard as when someone tries to open the door, forgetting it is broken, and does not push hard to close the door, it is not fully engaged. There is an open case with Kia directly to address the problem (K2738522). They only mentioned assisting with the repair, not repairing it at their cost, for what is likely a quality and safety issue with this particular vehicle and door. It does not seem to be limited to the 2011 model year as I did find another instance of this same problem on a 2012 model in the wild: www.edmunds.com/Kia/Sorento/2012/consumer-reviews/rear-passenger-door-won't-open.html?style=101388024&sub=&reviewid=964955855.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

May 202014

• 8,452,000 miles
Doors will not open from outside and the gas door want open. It started with the passenger door then the back driver door and now driver door. Safety issue when children is stranded in car and parent cant get in.

- Lexington, NC, USA

Oct 072010

Sorento

1st incident 10/2010 - outside right side rear door handle snaps off (child lock on inside of car engaged so you cannot open door from inside and making it difficult to get a child out of the car). 2nd incident 01/17/2014 car has 35000 miles now - outside left rear door handle snaps off (child lock on inside of car engaged so you cannot open door from inside and making it difficult to get a child out of the car). I thought the 1st time it happened it wow I have never had that happen before on any vehicle I have ever owned - I bought this car new with only 15 miles on it, it is garage kept. Now that this has happened before I question the quality - and have read online of others having same issue.

- Ansonia, CT, USA