CarComplaints.com Notes: There are just too many engine stalls or shuts down while driving reports to feel good about the Sorento. Especially when those things happen, on average, at just over 32,000 miles. Hopefully things will change.

2013 Kia Sorento brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Kia Sorento:

2013 Kia Sorento Owner Comments

Feb 262015

Sorento

I've had my 2013 Kia Sorento for just over 3 years. I was in a one car accident and my seatbelt didn't retract and my airbag didn't deploy. I broke my sternum and have back problems. The problems I've had with my Sorento are replacing headlights, I had to get a new battery and brakes after one year. My airbag light doesn't go off right away. Before my accident it was in the shop because my airbag light stayed on. Now I have no power all my lights stopped working. When I put the truck in drive and turn it off, I can't take the key out I have to put it back in park again. My Sorento was shaking and making noise when the ligjts stopped working. I have no temp gage at all.

- Westland, MI, USA

Dec 192015

Sorento

Hit my brakes going roughly 30mpg (I was in heavy traffic on the tollway with lots of braking and going for several minutes already), the ABS was triggered as the car was making the jerking/thumping (however you describe feel of ABS), I should have had enough space to stop, but my car was accelerating it seemed at the same time, I hit a car in front of me, and it continued, lurched forward and hit the car a second time all while the brake (only) was being depressed. That finally stopped the car. The other driver thought I was hit from behind too since there were two hits...but I felt the lurching and also there is no damage to the back of my car, proving it was my car. This is dangerous!!! after reading online I see many complaints of Kia's lurching and accelerating when the brakes are applied. Many accidents reported while parking and the car accelerates so quickly it jumps a curb, hits a tree, or another car or other such incidents. It is clear after searching "Kia Sorento 2013 accelerating while braking at the same time", there are lots of reports on car gurus.com of this dangerous defect.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Oct 122015

Sorento

When I took my 2013 Kia Sorento to rick case Kia (duluth ga) for scheduled maintenance in Dec 2014, I was advised that the car needed alignment and brake fluid flushing. I declined both services and had only the scheduled maintenance work done. When I returned to the same dealer on 10/12/15, I was told I no longer needed the previously recommended alignment and that the brake fluid was okay. While I was initially relieved that I was longer had to pay hundreds of dollars in unnecessary expenses, I am currently worried about the safety implications of the accuracy of your car inspection and recommended fixes. I really don't know if it was the initial, or the last evaluation that was accurate. Moreover, I am yet to get any reply to all my numerous emails, messages and letters to rick case Kia and Kia consumer assistance center.

- Lilburn, GA, USA

Oct 092014

Sorento 6-cyl

Engine simply stopped while driving resulting in loss of braking and steering control. All indicator lights on dashboard came on when the engine shut off. Coasted to a stop, put transmission in park and was able to restart the engine. Took the car to Kia dealer who said it needed a software update which was performed. The same problem of the engine shutting off happened the very next day. Taking the car back to the dealer today.

- Folsom, CA, USA

Apr 012013

Sorento

I have a 2013 Kia Sorento V-6. approx. 6 mths into owning the vehicle, while accelerating to turn right after stopping at a stop sign, the engine died and car lost all power. The car was stuck at a 45 degree angle 1/2 way into the lane of traffic. I was lucky that no-one was coming or I would have been T-boned. The car dash was completely dark with no lights whatsoever, no brakes and no steering (since both are power). I had no idea what happened and had a lot of trouble getting the car into neutral to attempt re-start. After several attempts, it finally did re-start. Took it to Kia who was unable to duplicate the problem. Second time (11 mths), I was accelerating from stopping at a stop light - engine died and car lost all power, no steering or brakes - no dash lights. Cars had to go around me and I was praying I didn't get rear-ended. Again, car started after several attempts. Third time (12 mths), was at the bottom of a freeway off-ramp. Attempted to go after light turned green and engine died - again lost all power - no dash lights, steering or brakes - cars had to go around me. Fourth time (17 mths) stalled in parking lot when I stopped at intersection to turn left - same symptoms. This car is dangerous! Kia needs to recall and correct this problem before a serious accident occurs and someone dies. I'm afraid every time I drive it. Huge safety issue! NHTSA, please do something.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 162014

Sorento

Driving through neighborhood approximately 25 to 30 mph, vehicle suddenly screeched to halt (I did not depress the brakes), engine light came on. All parts of vehicle were disabled (unable to steer, start, etc.) I was thrown forward despite seat belt on due to sudden and complete stop. Thankfully, I was the only vehicle in the roadway at the moment. After several minutes of no response from vehicle with ignition issues, I was finally able to restart and continue my drive, as well as contact dealer for appointment to 'repair' this rampantly unsafe 2013 Kia sorrento engine issue. I purchased this vehicle new in February 2013 with the notion that Kia has a 5 star safety rating. After this incident and after reviewing other eerily similar complaints, I vehemently disagree with the rating. This is an extreme safety hazard. I drive to and from patient's homes for a living, often traveling freeways and in remote areas. I did not notice any issues with motor prior to 'computer upgrade' requested at last visit to dealer. I am hoping that Kia resolves this obviously rampant issue before serious injury or death results from this problem. I will no longer Transport my children in this vehicle until Kia can remedy this situation. I am taking in to the same dealer who did 'upgrade' today to 'repair' if possible. I will also be contacting Kia via phone and email contact as well as the dealer from whom I purchased my vehicle. All need to know that this engine failure issue is serious and could be fatal if not dealt with soon.

- Salem, OR, USA

Dec 202012

Sorento 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that there was an explosive sound from the brakes. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where they replaced the brakes and rotors. The repair lasted for four months before the failure recurred. The contact had the vehicle taken back to the dealer, but the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unknown. The current mileage was 12,600.

- Circleville, OH, USA

Feb 172013

Sorento

I was backing out of my driveway and turning slightly to the left, I attempted to stop my 2013 Kia Sorento by pressing the brakes but it would not stop. It continued to coast backwards without stopping even though I continued to press brakes numerous times.. the brake pedal itself would not go all the way down while I pressed down. The car did not slow down and the backup sensor did not sound as it continued to back into my neighbors fence. Note that I could see the backup camera was working but had no control of car stopping, also the car was purchased only 5 months ago.

- Staten Island, NY, USA