CarComplaints.com Notes: There are just too many engine stalls or shuts down while driving reports to feel good about the Sorento. Especially when those things happen, on average, at just over 32,000 miles. Hopefully things will change.

2013 Kia Sorento electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Kia Sorento:

2013 Kia Sorento Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Dec 052013

Sorento 6-cyl

About 6 months ago when my radio turned off and wouldn't turn back on. I took it into the dealership and they said that it must have been a one time thing because they we not able to duplicate the problem again. I went with it as this is the 3rd Kia I have owned. On 12/5/13 I went to turn my car on and it didn't start, I waited a few seconds tried again and she started. The very next day 12/6/13 I drove to la with my son and on my way back down (90 miles away from home) the radio went out again and my car felt very sluggish. I couldn't call my husband as my bluetooth is connected to my radio and I was already on the road when the radio went out again. Now today 12/11/13 I was driving on the freeway to a doctors appointment. As soon as I get off the freeway I am at a stop sign, I stop. When it is my turn to go is when my car decides to completely shut down! all the lights flickered, the radio went out and my car was still stuck in drive, on a slight hill. I immediately put my hazard lights on, put the emergency break on as I didn't want my car to roll backwards. After trying to restart my car about 4 times I was finally able to put the car in park and restart the car. But she was shaking the entire time until I finally parked the car and went to my appt. I purchased this car for safety as I have never had a problem with any of my other Kia's. I will be taking it in to the dealership tomorrow and see what they say. After reading all of these complaints from people with the same exact issue I am looking at Kia to recall this car. They shouldn't wait until a fatality occurs to rectify this issue. I live the California so after 3 times for the same reason it will fall under the lemon law but my concern is the safety of everyone else especially my 3 children that I am constantly transporting, and myself on my 140 mile drive daily. Please recall this vehicle!

- Murrieta, CA, USA

Apr 252013

Sorento

We purchased the 2013 Kia Sorento AWD 2/2013 w/300 miles on it. At the end of April, we went to death valley (round trip was approx 350 miles.). when we returned to town, we stopped at the grocery store to pick up supper supplies. After shutting the vehicle off, being in the store for approx. 30 minutes, & then came back out, when we turned the vehicle on, it sounded as though it was only hitting on half the cylinders. We immediately cut the vehicle off, waited a couple of minutes, and then turned it back on. It seemed fine. We figured it was probably a fluke. Right after this happened though, I notice a huge decrease in my fuel mileage. Before this happened, I was getting 18/19 mpg/city and 24-34 mpg/hwy (depending on how far I went, out to death valley w/no stops, we got 34). Now I was lucky to get 13/14 mpg/city and 16-18 mpg/hwy. We took it to the Kia garage, but there wasn't much they could do because it wasn't throwing any codes. We suffered with paying more for gas for 6 months until we went for an oil change in Oct and the dealership told us there was an "ECM" update. After they shared with us that it could potentially help w/the fuel mileage, I was ecstatic! it went right back up to where it had been previously! then, the thing with the ignition happened again! only worse this time, just a few days ago! my fuel mileage went back down to what I shared above. We took it back to the dealership and after them trying all day to replicate what happened (which took months for it to happen w/us), they finally did the update, again. My fuel mileage is back up to where it should be. I want to be happy, but I am concerned this will happen yet again. There have been to other noticeable issues that I have shared in other sections. One about vibration while in neutral/park & one about the vehicle not starting after pressing the ignition button.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Jun 012013

Sorento 4-cyl

Radio and camera system suddenly stops working. When you turn on the air conditioner comes a strong odor as "silicone" this happens the first time that I turn on the air conditioner in the day. The vehicle is very unstable and very sensitive to uneven roads. Shakes a lot and moves a lot. I worry about young children and their heads move too much in the car seat for these sudden movements.

- Utuado, PR, USA

Jul 172013

Sorento

I was approaching a red light and applied the brakes quickly as I was going too quickly to stop at the stop line if I had not. I was only going about 20-25 mph. As I applied the brakes the car shut off. I was unable to place the car in park for a couple of minutes and the car did not respond at all. After I blocked traffic for a couple of light changes and cars were honking, I was able to place car on park and restart it. It has not happened since. I recently noticed a high pitched but very low sound while driving at first I wasn't sure where it was coming from. I am due for an oil change so I will let the dealership know when I take it in soon.

- Ridgewood, NY, USA

Jul 012013

Sorento 4-cyl

Had a problem with my ignition switch, steering column not unlocking on my 2013 Kia sorrento. Put the key in, would not turn. Finally, I jerked on the steering wheel back and forth, it finally turned. Then, my sisters 2013 Kia-optima did the same thing about a week ago! I called the dealer and was told that because the wheels were turn that this would cause this to happen. I informed him that in both cases, the vehicles were in the garage, on flat service, wheels pointing straight. Was told if it happens again, bring it in.

- Grand Ledge, MI, USA

Mar 092013

Sorento 6-cyl

We leased 2013 Kia Sorento in Aug 2012 after driving few months engine starts to shut down by it self, the first time shuts down on my driveway, I didn't contact dealer at that time, after few months I was driving on street and engine shuts down again and I couldn't put the car in park to start the engine again, called aaa tow truck to tow the car to dealer, after few days the couldn't find any problem but dealer contacted Kia center for help and they changed parts and hoping everything is fixed but after few months the problem start again and engine shuts down again and again and again almost five times in one month, the last time engine shuts down when my wife was going to drop off our kids at school and all the cars stopped in the morning rush hour, they were panicked and we contacted dealer again for second time and took the car in for repair, after few days test drive and test everything they couldn't find anything and they did connect a recording device to our car to record the fault or code when engine is shutting down, this is inconvenient all the wires are hanging from that device. We explained this issue to dealer service manager, sales manager and it is high safety issue, I am wondering if those managers will drive this car or their family will drive this car around, it is very easy to tell us we couldn't find anything, thank god we didn't involve in any accident but if happens I am wondering what kind of answer will get from dealer. So we are going to drive around and next time will be third time and by California lemon law they have to take this car away and return our money or give us a new car.

- Glendale, CA, USA

Nov 292012

Sorento

At an idle, this vehicle runs rough and shakes. It feels as though it will stall. I do not believe this should be happening with a new car. I told the mechanic at my first maintenance check, and he acted as if it would get better with an oil change. It seems to be getting worse. I commute 120 miles a day for work, and I have had the car for 5 months, it has 9000 miles now. Now the radio will not turn on? this concerns me that maybe something electrical is malfunctioning.

- Rehoboth, MA, USA

Dec 152012

Sorento

Driving on interstate at night at 65 mph lights flicker inside and headlights. Battery warning light comes on and off several times. The vehicle has also had hard shifting around 20 to 30 mph, almost like applying brakes on slow down and an engine rev when speeding up. Next night (Sunday) vehicle lost all power with no warning while driving on two lane highway at night. Made it off to a side road, but engine still running rough, no response to gas pedal, could not shift vehicle to park, had to hold stop button for long time to finally stop engine, lights came back on, but would not start, finally could put in park. Hauled back to dealer. Service replies wasn't on schedule will maybe get to it today. Defective alternator on "E" order will fix all the problems. Wife refuses to drive unsafe, death trap and that she would not had been able to manage safely if she would of been driving when problems shut down the vehicle.

- Sutter, IL, USA

Sep 252012

Sorento

A day after I purchased a new Kia Sorento ex gdi 2013 (9/25/2012), I noticed that it had rough idle at stop. I took my car to dealership to fix the rough idle issue next day, however after 4 days of troubleshooting by mechanic with Kia support engineer, they were not able to resolve it. Tsb#122 (ECM software upgrade) was alreay applied prior to my purchase. Even today, I still have the same issue. My current mileage is 2800 miles.

- Valencia, CA, USA

Jun 202012

Sorento 4-cyl

I test drove the vehicle which had only 5 miles on it and had not been test driven prior to me. I noticed a very slight vibration from 0mpg to 10mpg, and asked the sales associate if that was normal. He said it was fine and was nothing to be concerned about. I did not notice any further issues while idling at stop lights and did not notice the vibration again during the test drive. After I signed the financial papers at 11pm after the dealership had officially closed for the day and got into the car to drive home, I was sitting in the car while it idled and I was speaking to the sales associate when the car began to shake and the vibration was very noticeable. I immediately told the associate and he said to bring the car in to the service department the following day to have it inspected and said it was nothing to worry about. He said it's under warranty so it would be taken care of one way or another. We brought the car in the next day and the service man told my husband it was likely just that it needed to break-in since it only had a few miles on it. They ran tests on the car and everything checked out fine. The man suggested we take it for a long drive and put a couple hundred miles on it and see how it was running afterward. We did so and the problem did not get better. We brought it in the next day to be inspected again and the service men took it for a short drive to see if they could replicate the problem and they noted they did. Our sales associate told us he looked into this vibration problem and found that Kia was aware of the problem and were working on a fix for a computer chip that was affecting the 4 cylinder 2013 Sorentos. He told us Kia did not have a timeframe for fixing the problem but it should be soon, but this was a problem with all 4 cylinders that they are making.

- Anchorage, AK, USA