2013 Kia Sorento seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Kia Sorento:

2013 Kia Sorento Owner Comments

Jul 012016

Took my vehicle - 2013 Kia Sorento - to have a diagnosis test done at a Kia dealership on why my air bag light is on because I received a letter about a clock spring assembly. The diagnosis said code B1764 which is a passenger OCS mat def ect and wants to charge me $2100 to fix. This vehicle is only 3 years old and I am over the 60,000 mile warranty. I do mostly highway driving alone in the vehicle and only 5% of the time someone is in the passenger seat. This to me sounds like a defect and should be taken care of my Kia. From what I am seeing on NHTSA web site there are many complaints about the same issue

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Feb 262015

I've had my 2013 Kia Sorento for just over 3 years. I was in a one car accident and my seatbelt didn't retract and my airbag didn't deploy. I broke my sternum and have back problems. The problems I've had with my Sorento are replacing headlights, I had to get a new battery and brakes after one year. My airbag light doesn't go off right away. Before my accident it was in the shop because my airbag light stayed on. Now I have no power all my lights stopped working. When I put the truck in drive and turn it off, I can't take the key out I have to put it back in park again. My Sorento was shaking and making noise when the ligjts stopped working. I have no temp gage at all.

- Westland, MI, USA

Jan 062016

My airbag warning light indicator has illuminated. When researching the problem online, it came to my attention that this is a very common problem that mostly occurs in vehicles that, like mine, have just surpassed the warranty period. If hundreds of car owners have experienced this same safety issue, why is it not a problem covered under a recall?

- Palm Coast, FL, USA

Jan 122016

Sorento 4-cyl

Dear NHTSA, I writing to inform you of a failure to the airbag system of my 2013 Kia Sorento. The initial symptom of the failure was an intermittent red airbag warning light that would appear on the driver's instrument panel while driving. Within a week, the warning light was activated all the time while driving, indicating the airbag system was not functional. The Kia dealer retrieved error codes B1763 and B1764 during their inspection. They diagnosed the failure to be the "electric field occupant classification sensor" which is located in the front-passenger seat cushion. The sensor is not sold individually, but only as part of the entire lower seat assembly. The dealer quoted over $1,600 as the retail purchase price. This included the seat cover, cushion, adjustable seat rails, and the one part I needed, the electric field occupant classification sensor. The assembly part number was 88200-1U210sal after tearing down my old seat assembly I found the following part numbers on the failed electric field occupant classification sensor. Kia: 88950-1U500 autoliv: 611166600C iee: 31-004117-28-10 bodysense: 31-723107-15-00 mat test S/N: 0400640222 thank you for looking into this failure.

- Morgan Hill, CA, USA

Jan 112016

Airbag warning light came on Monday (January 11, 2016) morning upon starting the vehicle. It did not turn off. It remains on at all times indicating that there is a problem with the airbags in the vehicle. Turning the vehicle off does not reset he problem as it still persist. The airbag warning light remains on if vehicle is in park or drive or any gear. Also the airbag light remains on at all speeds from standing to 65mph. Airbag warning light remains on at the time of filing this complaint Wednesday January 13 2016 approximately 9:00am est I have been in touch with parkside Kia of knoxville tn and have a schedule appointment to have this investigated on Thursday January 14, 2016. I have had to drive the vehicle since this issue arose and am extremely concerned as there is no way for me to know if in fact the airbags will work if I am in an accident. This is very serious to me as I have 4 children one of whom has a lot of medical needs, a wife and a nurse who are often times in the vehicle with me. I strongly urge an investigation in to this before some one is seriously injured or worse.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Nov 182015

2013 vehicle with 60,939 miles has airbag sensor light on immediately after recall SC 124 performed. Dealer indicates codes B1764 and 1765 OCS defect. Dealer states sensor does not recognize when passenger is in seat, making this a huge safety issue and that no one should sit in this seat because a collision could result in "tragedy." Kia says vehicle is out of warranty (by 939 miles) and I am second owner (purchased the vehicle with 12K mikes as certified pre-owned) therefore, Kia will split the repair cost 3 ways-Kia, dealer, me ($2,200 repair and only factory parts can be used, resulting in over $700 for me to pay if I want my kids to be safe in the car) there are 42 other reports of this exact defect at similar mileage and same seat location on many of those reports. Dealer claims to have seen this issue on other vehicles as well. NHTSA should investigate this issue, as airbags save lives, and Kia's airbag sensors are defective. No consumer should have to bear this unreasonable financial burden on a three year old car for an airbag sensor that goes out at a few miles over 60,000. Sensor remains on constantly. Shame on you, Kia. This was my third Kia because I trusted Kia's commitment to safety. I will not make this mistake again.

- Arlington, WA, USA

Jun 012015

At 60,800 mile my Kia Sorentos engine blew. I took it to the service department believing it would be under warranty only to find out they voided my warranty stating I had excessive sludge in the engine. For more than a month prior to that incident we also had a airbag light illuminate and stay on. At the time of engine failure we thought that we could fix that issue as well only to find that my electrical warranty went out at 60,000 miles. I have been researching these items online only to find that there is multiple complaints of both engine failure and the airbag light illuminating which is said to be a control module. With the amount of complaints out there why is there no recall.

- Oak Hills, CA, USA

May 072015

Driver air bag did not deploy right some thing tore thru right side causing 2ed burns on right rest and cut on right forearm

- Hermitage, TN, USA

Feb 262015

The contact owns a 2013 Kia Sorento. While turning into a parking lot during inclement weather conditions, the contact lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a metal pole. The contact stated that the driver side seat belt failed to retract. The contact sustained a cracked sternum, neck and back pains that required medical attention. The passenger sustained a back injury that required medical attention. The contact also stated that four additional passengers sustained minor abrasions that did not require medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an impound lot. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 48,000. Updated 09/01/2015 MA 09/03/15 updated 12/7/2015

- Westland, MI, USA

Sep 122014

Upon startup of vehicle or shortly thereafter the S irish warning light came on and has remained on since.

- Knoxville, TN, USA