2007 Lexus ES 350 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Lexus ES 350:

2007 Lexus ES 350 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Dec 162009

ES 350

I received a less than reassuring assessment today of how my '07 Lexus ES 350 was fixed at keyes Lexus, van nuys, ca, following a recall notice. Although the accelerator pedal had been trimmed, and sound material was removed from the driver-side floor mat area, the principal sudden acceleration problem remained unsolved, according to bill horvath, Lexus service rep. Background: While traveling West on the 60 freeway in mid-December my car took off like a bat out of ¿!@#$% as I neared chino airport, located approximately 50 miles from hemet, where I visit my 95-year old mother each week. The car's cruise control had been activated and in use for about five minutes. My speed was set at 68 mph when suddenly the car simply took off, ultimately reaching nearly 100 mph. At the time of acceleration my right foot was no where near the gas pedal or brake. I removed the original Lexus car mats long ago. Nevertheless, it proved to be an unbelievable experience and terrifying ride. I shut off the cruise control device, hit the brake as hard as a could, threw the auto-gear shift into neutral and pulled off to the side of the freeway. I wasn't hurt, but terrified by the experience. I will not let my wife or daughter drive this defective car--ever! the Lexus technicians were unable to duplicate the cruise-control instant acceleration problem, according to horvath. When I picked up the car I told horvath that I'm accepting it under protest and that the dealer's solution and findings to my very dangerous incident were "inadequate." For the record, this represents a single isolated event. I never had any other issues with this vehicle. However, I now fully understand how easy it might be to get killed in one of these so-called luxury cars. What pisses me off the most is that Toyota has know about this serious safety defect for the last nine years.

- Van Nuys, CA, USA

Nov 132009

ES 350

The contact owns a 2007 Lexus ES350. Whenever the contact attempted to slow down or accelerate from after stopping, the vehicle stalled and failed to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they replaced the park-neutral switch; however, the contact is still experiencing the same failure. The current and failure mileages were 37000.

- Weathersfield, CT, USA

Feb 012010

ES 350

Reference: My 2007 Lexus ES 350 on the recall for floor mats and pedal of the accelerator. Incident happened 2/1/10 12 pm est place: Ashland, oh 44805 bill harris GM dealership I pulled into the parking lot of the GM dealership and all of a sudden my Lexus ES350 (2007)accelerated so high that I thought it would go through the plate glass window of the dealership. I stood on the brakes and got the car into neutral. It rocked back and forth after I put it into neutral with people watching this happen. They thought that I was going through the plate glass window into the showroom. The witnesses at bill harris dealership, and other people saw me and the mess I was in with the Lexus. The car was towed to germain Lexus of easton in columbus, oh by Lexus, per supervisor of service specialists. She told me to rent a vehicle and pay for it myself up to $50 per day. It will be 2 weeks until I get my money back for the rental, if I furnished a proof of rental and send it to fax to her attention. I talked with customer service rep in service at the Lexus dealership in columbus. She told me to "get in line since there are a lot of people with the same problem with the mats." I did not have the mats in the car. My husband, an automotive engineer, took the mats out of the car when we got the letter from Lexus about the mats and the pedal on our Lexus in which they would send us another letter when the time came for the fix in April 2010!!!! how could it be the mats or the pedal since there were not any mats in the car. I did not have my foot on the pedal since I was coasting to the parking spot when the engine went "crazy".

- Ashland, OH, USA

Jan 302010

ES 350

2007 Lexus ES350. Complained twice to dealer about unexpected acceleration. Dealer initially said there was nothing wrong. Second time they indicated it was a computer glitch and "flashed" the system. This has not taken care of the problem. Was told to keep complaining, so that Lexus would eventually find a fix. Problem remains....when you approach a red light and begin to stop, then the light changes to green...when you go to accelerate, the transmission "jumps" and accelerates unexpectedly. I haven't had an accident, but am afraid that I'll hit another car. This is not a one time occurrence.

- Queenstown, MD, USA

Dec 022007

ES 350

When I let up on the gas and then step on the gas pedal to continue the car lurches. This happens on a random basis and I have reported this to Lexus several times since I have owned the car but they tell me if it does not do it while they are test driving there is nothing they can do. They say everything checks out ok and there are no error codes showing on the computer. I have told them it is either the transmission or whatever controls the gas pedal and they don't seem to be concerned. In my opinion there is definitely something wrong somewhere.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Dec 152009

ES 350

My 2007 Lexus ES350 sometimes accelerates on its own while cruise control is engaged. No significant explanation is available. I am typically driving in cruise. I have not touched anything, tried to accelerate or anything. For lack of a better explanation, it is as if it is possessed, it just happens. This occurs occasionally, a couple of months can go by between instances. In my case it has been about 2 months since the last time it has happened. On the occasions it has happened I allow I do not allow it to go more than 10 mph above the set speed before I disengage the cruise control. Disengaging the cruise control seems to resolve the problem.

- Candia, NH, USA

Dec 122006

ES 350

I am pleased to see something is finally being done about the Lexus ES 350 2007 acceleration problem. I filed a complaint in Dec 2006, as I was spared from a fatal crash due to the acceleration problem. The recall that came out the following spring was only for Lexus mats and I did not have a Lexus mat but had another store bought mat. The 2007 recall program did not properly address the issue. I discussed with this Agency and sent letters to toyato in Japan and to the Lexus headquarters in ca. I kept copies of all correspondence sent in 2006 so they knew about the problem. I even sent copies of complaints posted on this website, as the Lexus dealership denied any reportable incidence. I am so disappointed that people died after my attempt to get someone to listen. I am still fearful of our car, but can't sell it for a fair price so we have continued to drive it with much concern for not only our family but others on the road. These cars should have been taken off the road in 2006. I still have nightmares about the car accelerating and probably will for a lifetime. I feel your Agency should have been more aggresive in 2006 when this first started. Toyota/Lexus has failed those who have died or been injured and any additional potential injuries or losses that may occur before April 2010 when the new software and pedals become available will be their fault as well.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Jul 092008

ES 350

Unintended acceleration on my 2007 ES350 Lexus. Damage to my entire right side of car, wheels. Happened on 7/09/08, no winter mats in car. It was towed to the dealer, where they kept it for 5 months, & refused to talk to me, because it was a legal matter. They found no problem. Tw*

- Sparta, NJ, USA

Jun 092009

ES 350

June 9, 2009 my 2007 ES 350 Lexus took off with me reaching a frightening speed of 95 miles an hr when I reached the mat under my right knee and yanked the carpet and at last freed the gas and brake pedal. I know the where both involved as I hit the brakes to no avail as the speed became frightening and keeping it on the road was a miracle. I think it is unacceptable that I did not receive any recall notice for almost 4 most after this incident.

- San Mateo, CA, USA

Jul 212009

ES 350

My 2007 Lexus ES 350 accelerated on its own while driving on an il highway. Earlier that day one or two warning lights appeared and I called the Lexus service dept. A few questions were asked by the reception operator and I was told the car was safe to drive. On my return home, the acceleration happened. My brakes did not slow the car down. I put the car in neutral while pressing the brakes and was able to get out of the traffic lane onto the shoulder. The car finally came to a stop and I turned off the engine, called aaa, and was towed to the nearest Lexus dealer. At the service dept I was told it was my floor mat and the mat was replaced. This did not seem a likely explanation because the gas pedal had simply locked and accelerated on its own. My brakes were checked and it was determined I needed new rear brakes which was not a surprise since it seemed like I was 'killing' them in my attempt to control and slow down the car. The mats were to have been exchanged earlier when the car was taken in for service appt but somehow that was neglected by a different Lexus dealer.

- Evanston, IL, USA

Sep 082008

ES 350

Entered parking lot at foothill center, pulled up to curb, suddenly was catapulted very fast over curb, up small dirt grade, into a perimeter electric fence. The dirt under the car and downed fence kept the car from going into a deep ravine. Hit off button, stepped on brake. Car was pulled back into parking lot.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Oct 312009

ES 350

The contact owns a 2007 Lexus ES350. After shifting the vehicle into park, the engine had begun to rev. The vehicle was taken to the dealership for inspection. Since the technician could not duplicate the failure, they could not provide a remedy. The current and failure mileages were 35308. Updated 11/23/09 updated 11/24/09

- Tracy City, TN, USA

Oct 282009

ES 350

Faulty accelerator on 2007 ES 350. Vehicle sped up with foot off the accelerator. Only one occurrence. Was able to use break to slow down vehicle. Accelerator finally stopped. Immediately checked floor mats which were secured and hooked.

- Westlake Village, CA, USA

Oct 272009

ES 350

The contact owns a 2007 Lexus ES350. The floor-mats shifted under the accelerated pedal; which caused the vehicle to accelerate from 45 to 55 mph. The dealer was notified, and a technician stated that if they could duplicate the failure, they could not provide a remedy. The failure mileage was 45,000.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

May 222009

ES 350

While driving on I10 in ca, my mother accelerated to pass a truck and when she eased up on the accelerator nothing happened. In fact, she started to accelerate. She tried to brake and put the emergency brake on and she kept going in excess of 90 mph. She drove through a rest area but was unable to stop. Finally she hit the gas pedal again and that did it - she finally had control and slowed way down. She did so much damage to the engine while trying to get it to stop that cathedral city Lexus replaced the whole engine. She was told the problem was caused by her all weather floor mat. She was not aware of any recall on floor mats nor had tustin Lexus, who always services her car, ever said anything to her and the mats have been in the car since she purchased it.

- San Ramon, CA, USA

Aug 272009

ES 350

Our 2007 Lexus ES 350 abruptly and wildly accelerated while my wife was driving on the freeway. She stood on the brakes and depressed the parking brake while moving into the slow lane and took the next exit ramp. The car finally slowed somewhat before rear ending a stopped car. Fortunately, no one was hurt. The car was towed to the Lexus dealer. Their diagnostic computer system did not "call out" any problems. They immediately blamed the floor mats. However, the floor mats were two inches away from the gas pedal. They then tried to brush me off by asking me where I wanted the car towed to get body work performed. I refused and escalated to Lexus usa. They are now trying to determine if they can find a problem. This reminds me of the Audi acceleration problem and warrants an complete and full investigation. The internet is full of unintentional acceleration problems with the 2007 Lexus ES 350. I keep thinking that the 2007 model is the first of the new ES body styles and there is something terribly wrong.

- Lake Oswego, OR, USA

Jul 252009

ES 350

The contact owns a 2007 Lexus ES350. The contact stated that the vehicle accelerates without warning. She stated that the engine made a squealing noise when she pressed the push to start button. She depressed the brake pedal, placed the vehicle into reverse, and the vehicle sped up and would not stop. She depressed the brake pedal with all of her strength, but the vehicle would not stop. It finally came to a stop when it struck the side of a garage. The contact was bruised and startled. A police report was filed. The speed was unknown. The failure mileage was 39,000.

- North Haven, CT, USA

Feb 032009

ES 350

Petition for additional investigation into the unwanted and unintended acceleration of model year 2007 Lexus ES350. The manufacturer stated the unwanted acceleration was a result of the floor mats interfering with the throttle pedal. The consumer experienced unwanted acceleration and does not believe the problem is with the floor mats. See also 10261660.

- Plymouth, MN, USA

Feb 032009

ES 350

Driving home from work, I experienced a sudden uncontrollable surge in acceleration causing my speed to increase from about 60 mph to 80+ mph. Immediately I began to brake hard as I was rapidly approaching traffic just ahead of me. Fortunately the inside left lane was unoccupied and I was able to make an immediate lane change. Initially I depressed the brake pedal as hard as I could using both feet but only managed to slow the vehicle to 40-45 mph. With my speed reduced, I alternated between pumping the accelerator pedal and pulling up on it from the underside with my right foot as it became clear that the throttle was stuck in an open position. The vehicle continued to speed back up to over 65 mph with less pressure on the brake pedal. With traffic just ahead of me, I moved over to the left shoulder next to the center barrier and continued to try to release the open throttle. There were clouds of smoke around the vehicle and the smell of burning materials from the overheating brakes. After finally getting the vehicle slowed down to about 25-30 mph, I shifted into ¿neutral¿ and depressed the start/stop push button a number of times hoping to stop the engine but nothing happened. Instead the rpms moved up into the redline range on the tachometer. I quickly shifted back into ¿drive¿; the vehicle jolted and rapidly accelerated to 60+ mph. As the brakes were fading quickly, I was certain that I would need to shift back into ¿neutral¿ and let the engine blow up to stop the vehicle. Suddenly the acceleration surge stopped and I was able to bring the vehicle to a stop ¿ about 1 ½ to 2 miles from where it had started. I quickly shifted into ¿park¿ and depressed the start/stop push button to turn off the engine. The vehicle seemed to 'shutter¿ as I did so. Upon restarting the car, I drove cautiously to Lexus of wayzata a short distance away fully prepared to shift into ¿neutral¿ if the acceleration repeated. The car remains there over 5 weeks later.

- Plymouth, MN, USA

Feb 182009

ES 350

There is a safety recall out for the 2007 Lexus ES 350 in respect to all weather floor mats potentially causing a jammed accelerator (NHTSA action # EA07010). The recall was initiated in Sept. 2007. The last report filed by Lexus with your office indicated that there were over 32,000 owners out of 55,000 that they were unable to contact. My vehicle was taken in for servicing at the local Lexus dealer by the previous owner in Aug. 2008 and the defective mat was in place. When I purchased this vehicle in January of this year, I immediately called this same dealer to have my name indicated as the owner of record. I specifically asked if I had to do anything else for recall notification etc. And was told no. Last week my wife experienced the jammed accelerator due to the faulty mat and was extremely fortunate that she was able to bring a runaway vehicle doing 80 or 90 mph to a stop without an accident. I called the Lexus dealer immediately after the incident and was told about the mat problem but not about a recall. I found out about the recall from your website. I also went to the national website for Lexus and found that I was not registered as the owner and so I registered. I later called the local Lexus dealer to see about the recall and the person said" you are listed in the national list, I am surprised some one took the time". (in reality that someone was me, not anyone at the dealership) my problem with the mat has been taken care of by the local dealer after I asked about the recall, but this isn't much help to all the others out there driving around with these faulty mats. According to your website, one person has died and several have been injured....... so far.

- Latham, NY, USA