2.5

2001 Mazda 626 transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Mazda 626:

2001 Mazda 626 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Feb 012009

626

My 2001 Mazda 626 2.0L LX has 104,500 miles on it. Around 95,000 the transmission started shifting roughly. The problem got worse over time and at 104,500 miles I now need a transmission rebuilt. Every mechanic I have taken it to and talked to knows the problems with this Ford cd4E built transmission and are shocked Ford/Mazda has not done a recall on them. I am now looking at 2000 dollars in repairs. Please forward this complaint to Mazda along with all of the others and make them do what is right. So many people have been affected by these horrible transmission failures. Please help us all.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Dec 082008

626

With only 115,000 miles on 2001 Mazda 626, the transmission needs replaced per professional assessment. Took it in after the overdrive function stopped working and the only way I was able to drive the car was by turning off the overdrive function.

- Ankeny, IA, USA

Oct 252008

626

I have a 2001 Mazda 626 with only a little over 100,000 miles and now the transmission went out. I had it looked at and was told that the chain inside the transmission was skipping links. The service man who looked at the car told me that he believes that there was a recall on this transmission because this problem was happening to alot of Mazda 626 transmissions. The car is just sitting now because we can not afford 2000 dollars to get this fixed but if its possible to be looked at I was told that we could get it replaced for free. We really need assistance with this because we have a 10 month old daughter and one running vehicle and really need help getting this problem fixed.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Aug 252008

626

I bought a 2001 Mazda 626 in 2002 with 23,000 miles up until now haven't had any problems. I was driving down the freeway and my overdrive light started blinking, the car made it home I took it to the shop and they said my transmission needed to be rebuilt. There is only 117,000 miles on the car, so I got online and searched the problem and come to find that there are pages upon pages of Mazda 626 owners with automatic transmissions who have or had the same problem's. the shop that I took my car to said Mazda/Ford made a bad transmission for several years!!!. I wish the car manufactures would make up for there mistakes and not keep passing them onto the consumers.. thanks tim keblis

- Rodeo, CA, USA

Sep 052008

626

2001 Mazda 626 with an automatic transmission. I purchased the car from a Mazda dealer, it was a 1 owner trade-in with only 25,000 original miles. The vehicle went through a 100 point inspection from their service department. I only had the car for 5 days before the transmission went out. When I placed the transmission in reverse or drive, it just remained still as if it was still in park or neutral, it was towed to a Mazda dealer and diagnosed with a torque converter failure. This is apparently a major issue with most Mazda 626's, old and new!

- Montgomery, TX, USA

Aug 262008

626

I have a 2001 Mazda 626 LX with automatic transmission. The car has worked great but at 125,000 miles the transmission went out. Many other people have had similar problems with this transmission and still no recall? I took the car to a reputable mechanics shop and was told that the transmission needs to be replaced and not to waste my money on it because it is known for failures. I took it to a shop that specializes in transmissions and was told the same story except they felt they could fix the situation with an aftermarket valve kit that solves the problem. Why are Mazda and Ford (the transmission was built by Ford) allowed to ignore this problem?

- Bartlett, TN, USA

Apr 152008

626 4-cyl

My Mazda 626, year 2001 has a problem with the transmission. At first the car would not go into reverse, then the entire transmission failed. I spoke with a co-worker that had the same problem with her Mazda 626. Is there a recall on the Mazda. Please help me with the repairs, I can't afford to get the vehicle fixed.

- Opa Locka, FL, USA

Mar 122008

626

Automation transmission went out on car. Have found out sense this happened that it happens alot on the Mazda 626S because it uses the Ford cd4E transmission that Ford has issues with.

- Princeton, MN, USA

Mar 082006

626 4-cyl

1-complete transmission failure, car would slightly move under gas. Gave no warning. Transmission failure at 65,000 mi. - rebuilt at an aamco transmission - cost approx. $2,000. Dealer did not help. Complained to Mazda North America via letter, gave me $200. In gift cert. For service. Complained to consumer reports who gave car best buy rating - no negative rating on transmission. 2-rebuilt transmission started to slip - had trans shop check out, problem due to transmission failure of rebuilt transmission. This happened just this last week at 88,000 mi. Rebuilt at stop and go transmission. Cost to me approx $2,400 3- noticed mildew smell in car - discovered trunk leak noticed at 65,000mi. 2in. Of water would form in spare tire well after rain. Car never hit prior to when it was fixed. Cost approx $400.

- Milford , CT, USA

Jan 042008

626 4-cyl

I have a 2001 Mazda 626 auto trans with 80,000 miles on it. For the most part my commutes would be an average 10 miles each way daily. Last six months the commute was about 25 miles each way with a combination of highway and city driving. On the days leading up to the incident, the car seemed to jerk into the higher gears - that was the first sign of trouble. On the day of the incident, it started up fine but would not move forward when gears are engaged in "drive" mode. It would move a little in the first gear if I pressed down the accelerator but never shifted into the higher gear. I did not want to burn out my engine - so I had the car towed to the repair shop. The mechanic checked it out and said that they would have to rebuild my transmission or replace it with a remanufactured piece. He also stated that it may be difficult to get a good working transmission from another car as this transmission (la4A-el by Mazda or its equivalent cd4E by Ford) have been known to have problems. So now I am looking at a high repair bill and since this is a one car family, an extended period of having to arrange alternative transportation. This is the third Mazda (929, MX6 and now 626) in the family. Never had issues with the previous cars.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Feb 142008

626 4-cyl

Transmission problems with a code of P1744. Dealer advised to go for rebuilt one and charged me over $3000 with taxes. I think Mazda should take some responsibility looking at so many other incidences that I found on the web.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Feb 142008

626 4-cyl

3rd transmission failure. This one at 113K miles. Lucky this one covered by transmission shop warranty.

- Hallandale Beach, FM, USA

Mar 112008

626

Problems with transmission. The dealership advised to go for rebuilt one and charged me over $3000 with taxes. I think Mazda should take some responsibility looking at so many other incidences that I found on the web.

- Chapel Hill, NC, USA

Mar 092008

626 4-cyl

1. transmission suddenly quit. 2. driver and vehicle were stranded in unsafe area. 3. replaced transmission a two thousand dollar cost.

- Cary, NC, USA

Dec 102007

626 4-cyl

Transmission failure occurred at 80,000 miles. Rebuilder stated the plates were burned and installed standard soft parts kit with steel plates. Less than 2000 miles and 2 months later the transmission had a spontaneous failure. The failure occurred in the intersection of two 45mph streets in las vegas hazarding other drivers.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Feb 062006

626 4-cyl

I bought a brand new Mazda 626. At about 13,000 miles, the transmission went out. I reported the problem and Mazda replaced the transmission with a new one. At about 33,000 miles, the transmission went out again, and they replaced it with a new transmission. At about 55,000 miles, the transmission went out again, and Mazda told me that it was no longer their problem since the transmission was no longer under warranty. They said that since they replaced my transmission, it was only warranted for one year, and since my original warranty had expired, there was nothing that they would do.

- Missouri City, TX, USA

Dec 012007

626 4-cyl

Called the local Mazda dealership, and talked to the repair center for a good few minutes. Told him about this website and how many complaints about the transmission there are, and he said that its not their fault. That they don't offer any discounts or anything for repairs like this. Also, have a problem with a misfire in my car. All after getting a new 1200 dealer only part. Do they care that they built a very horrible made car? no. I really think that they should be forced into atleast cutting the price down to half. Its just normal driving that is causing the transmission to fail, and the misfire. I haven't gotten it fixed for I spent 6grand to get the car, and now I have almost put in 6grand to keep it running. Really wished I had never gotten this car.

- Dalls, TX, USA

Dec 032007

626 4-cyl

As well as other 626's my transmission has blown. Was driving it, down the road, then the check engine light flashed about 7 times, and it revved, then went down and revved with the check engine light. Took it to aamco transmissions and they drove it and looked and told me that its shot. Of course this all happens after spending $1200 for a dealer only catalytic converter. Why would anyone buy this car knowing that they fall apart, and have dealer only parts!?

- Dallas, TX, USA

Aug 112005

626 4-cyl

Automatic trans. Will not go into gear, or will engage park. Trans. Rebuilt. After 18 months same problem returned!

- Oxon Hill, MD, USA

Jul 242007

626 4-cyl

After two hours of highway driving, my 2001 Mazda 626 O/D off light began flashing, as my transmission fluid over-heated. I checked the transmission fluid level, which was ok. My engine oil level was 2 qts. Low. This did not make any sense since I had just had my oil changed two weeks prior and checked the oil level after the work was completed. I called the Mazda dealership and was told to bring the car in to have it evaluated. The car registered a P1783 code during diagnostic testing. I was told that there was a service bulletin recommending that an atf cooling kit be installed to reduce the atf temperature, preventing over-heating. The service manager recommended that I not have the atf cooling kit installed at a cost of $1,100 since my transmission may possibly fail within a few months. After reading tsb 634465 and realizing that the transmission design is under-sized for the 2001 626, I recommend that Mazda recall the 626 transmissions installing the required atf cooling kit to prevent premature failure of Mazda's under-sized transmission design for the 626 model.

- Plainsboro, NJ, USA