2013 Mazda CX-5 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Mazda CX-5:

2013 Mazda CX-5 Owner Comments

Mar 022016

CX-5

The power driver's seat reclines suddenly while driving. Will go from original position to completely laid back without stopping. I can't let anyone talk sit behind me for fear of crushing their knees or legs. Also happens after exiting the vehicle. Will walk back to car to find the seat fully reclined. This happens almost every time I drive the car but especially on days when running errands and in and out of car multiple times. Car also hesitates when engine is "cold". sudden losses of power while driving. Car just seems to not want to accelerate at times.

- Lake Panasoffkee, FL, USA

Feb 032016

CX-5

The Cx-5 comes equipped with a powered driver seat adjustment controls. At 20,000 miles, the car started spontaneously reclining, after you turn off the engine, step outside, and close the driver door. Warning: It is very powerful motor in terms of torque, and a human cannot prevent its descent by pushing back on it. The seat continues to recline, as though the button is depressed -- even when it makes contact with a solid object -- or a person. Small children in car seats directly behind the door were bruised and terrified for days after the incident (happened 2-3 times before we stopped using it). It happens after you turn off engine and leave the car. Normally, but not always, quickly jumping back into driver seat and pushing the button to the opposite direction, will reverse the situation. However, on one occasion, this would not work, and upon returning to the car to find the seat in the fully reclined position, I had to drive home this way. Again, it does not stop reclining upon sensing that it has made contact with an object (as an elevator may do). The event happens while the vehicle is stationary, in park, with the engine turned off, and the door is closed. There are no objects lodged in the vicinity of the controls, that may be inadvertently depressing on them. The shock of the door being closed, appears to be triggering it. Note, there is no seat memory on this model, so it is also not a case of the seat presets being adjusted for a different driver. We do not have video of the event, as each time it happened, we were focused on saving the children instead. A photograph of the seat in fully reclined position can be provided, but does not document or prove how the seat arrived into this position, unfortunately.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Sep 042014

CX-5 4-cyl

The front-seat headrests in my vehicle are tilted forward in a way that forces an unnatural seating position. A driver must slouch forward to avoid the headrest, or be forced to tilt his/her head downwards. Both options result in the headrest having significant long-term consequences for the health of the occupant's neck and spine, which ironically are the injuries headrests should be designed to prevent.

- Redwood City, CA, USA

Sep 242013

CX-5

There seems to be an issue with the drivers side seat where it jostles and clicks. My local service center claims that a lot of Cx-5 models have been having this issue and it may be normal. To me, this is definitely not a normal issue and had only started happening, recently. Obviously something is wrong with the seat. I would also like to note that this is not the first time that I've had an issue with the same seat. The day after I purchased my Cx-5, I realized the entire driver's side seat cushion was coming completely off of the frame. I brought the vehicle back into where I purchased it and they did some minor adjustments to make sure the cushion stayed in place. Fast forward to today and now the same exact seat is jostling and clicking. There is apparently something wrong with this seat and it could possibly be a real safety issue if Mazda doesn't address it soon. I would also like to note that almost a month after my initial complaint about this issue to my local service center, they have yet to even look at it or repair it. Apparently, Mazda is not taking the issue seriously.

- Auburn, NY, USA

Apr 022012

CX-5 4-cyl

The driver and passenger head restraints push my head far too forward and downward. Being only 5', I added a seat pad and a lumbar pad, still no help. I have had to turn the head restraint backwards resulting in relieve but won't protect me in an accident.

- Palmetto Bay, FL, USA