4.5

2013 Mazda CX-5 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Mazda CX-5:

2013 Mazda CX-5 Owner Comments

Dec 232015

CX-5

During a long holiday trip, while driving down us 19 at 65 mph over the new river gorge bridge the engine started revving / surging, with rpms going up and down, when the car suddenly lost power and decelerated rapidly. The traction control system (tcs) light was on solid and the tire pressure system (tps) light was flashing. We had just left a rest area and were less than a mile down the road from where we pulled onto the highway, just getting up to speed. I may have just turned on the cruise control, but I cannot remember. The weather was warm and dry. The car had about 52,700 miles on it. I put on the flashers and prayed that momentum would carry me over the bridge to where I could pull off, that the semi-tractor-trailer truck barreling down on me would get in the other lane soon, and that no one would rear end me. My mom and my husband were in the car with me. We turned off the car, walked around the outside to look at the tires, looked through the manual, and tried to decide what to do. After about 15 minutes, I started it up again, there were no indicators lit up on the dash, and the car seemed to be back to normal, so we continued our trip. Since then we have driven about 800 miles and it has not happened again. I haven┐T had a chance to contact the dealer yet.

- Morgantown, WV, USA

Nov 242015

CX-5

Running errands on way home on the highway while on a hill suddenly incurred loss of power, check engine and driving stability warning lights came on. Pressed gas and no change in speed. Speed dropped from 45 to 20 and had to move to shoulder. Other than loss of power everything else functioning normally. Managed to return home via back roads and avoidance of hills. Speed improved somewhat once completed climbing hill but as neared home car's speed topped out at 20 mph, total trip 4 miles or so. Once in driveway turned off car and then started again neither the check engine light nor the driving stability came on again. Car well maintained first time this has happened in 2 years of ownership. Will be taking it in for service and see if problem can be diagnosed.

- Ellicott City, MD, USA

Aug 312015

CX-5

I was traveling at approximately 65 mph on a highway in the right-hand lane when my tire pressure indicator, traction control indicator, low oil indicator, emergency check engine indicator light illuminated. The car appeared to be driving normally so I drove it to a nearby meineke shop where they ran diagnostics & reported they were getting error codes P0571 & P02507. They further advised they were not equipped to fix the problem and I had to go to a Mazda dealership - the closest was 20 miles away. While on my way to the dealership, (again traveling approximately 65 mph on a highway in the right-hand lane), every light remained illuminated. Approximately 10 minutes into the trip, my push-to-start button started flashing yellow, I lost power to the car and my brakes were not responsive. I coasted to the side of the road where I turned the car off, not knowing if it would turn back on. I allowed it to sit for about 5 minutes and attempted to turn it "on" via the push-to-start. It did turn on and allowed me to continue driving, (this time in the break-down lane at 25 mph with my hazard lights flashing). I made it to the dealership where they noted the check-engine light was on. Diagnostics by the dealership / my invoice reveal the "cause" as "61 P0302xrx brake switch, R & R 71 w" and "1 lmin07 MINIlp 7.5 fuse" with a part number of bn7N-66-490. The issue was repaired under warranty as the car is less than 3 years old / less than 25,000 miles. I was on vacation 8 hours from my home with this happened. I had 2 teenagers in the car during the first failure. This could have been really, really bad had I been traveling in the left lane as I believe I would have been rear ended when the car suddenly slowed down and I lost the ability to brake. The out-of-state dealership was wonderful; however I believe this make/model needs to be recalled for this issue.

- New Milford, CT, USA

Jan 162014

CX-5 4-cyl

The traction control light came on and the tire pressure monitor light began to flash. It felt like car had downshifted a couple of gears. I lost forward power in all gears (engine revved, but no power to wheels through transmission). Fortunately we were just turning into an alley, so was able to park car off a main street. Finally were able to get it to go into reverse to park it briefly. Turned car off then back on again and all lights on dash were normal and transmission would engage in forward gears again. Drove the 7 miles to my house with no problems. Called dealer and the shop says they have never heard of such a problem. Could have been bad if this happened in rush hour traffic.

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Aug 052013

CX-5 4-cyl

While on a very busy road, all of a sudden the accelerator stopped working and my speed began to drop rapidly. At the same time, the traction control warning light and tire pressure warning light came on. It was as if the car had completely lost power. I was able to coast to the side of the road and turn the car completely off. I got out and checked all of the tires and they were fine. When I turned the car back on, the warning lights did not come back on and the car ran normally.

- Palmyra, PA, USA

Feb 172013

CX-5 4-cyl

While driving on the left lane of a busy los angeles highway at approximately 55mph, all of a sudden the accelerator stopped responding and my speed dropped rapidly. At the same time, the traction control and tire pressure lights turned on. Immediately, I turned on my hazard lights and pulled into the right lane. Unfortunately, I was in a tunnel with no shoulder. When the vehicle's forward momentum ran out, I came to a complete stop after cruising for approximately 100 feet. After my vehicle stopped, I was able to accelerate again and pulled off the highway. I turned the engine off, checked all tires (all looked normal), and restarted the engine. The warning lights were all off at this point, and the vehicle responded normally. This was a disturbing and dangerous situation. I will describe it at my 10,000-mile service, but it does not seem like others who have had this problem have been able to solicit an adequate response from Mazda.

- Pasadena, CA, USA

Oct 132012

CX-5 4-cyl

While driving vehicle on frwy, started losing power fast. As if the engine turned off. At light, traction light, stability control light and check engine light came on. Pulled to side of frwy turned car off, sat there in disbelief. I then turned the vehicle back on - only check engine light stayed on. Had power as if nothing had happen diag found code P1738, P0847. Galpin Mazda called tech line and they were told to perform a reflash to the PCM. This happen again about 2 months later. But this time all warning lights turned off after restarting. I will mention it on my next service visit.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Nov 172012

CX-5 4-cyl

Driving down the freeway, the automatic transaxle light, traction control, and engine light all came on, and car slowed down and it was like it wasn't in gear. I pulled to the side of the road and had to shut it off and restart it four time before all the lights went off and I could drive it again. The check engine light stayed on, but in ran fine.this also happen about a month ago in town, I only had to shut off and restart once, and all the lights went off and its been running fine since until yesterday. I'm taking it to the dealer in the morning.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Sep 012012

CX-5 4-cyl

I was driving at the listed speed on the New Jersey turnpike. Without warning, the vehicle went from sixth gear to fourth, rapidly losing speed in the far left lane. The tire pressure indicator light came on flashing, and the traction control light came on solid yellow. I pulled the vehicle onto the shoulder to check the tires, per the indicator, and noticed none of the tires was deflated. When I restarted the vehicle, the tire pressure and traction lights were solid yellow, along with the engine and "at" transmission light. While there was no noticeable effect on vehicle operation once restarted, I could not use the select-A-gear feature of my transmission. I was told at the dealership where I brought the vehicle that there were issues with the transmission control module, and that software updates were required. The vehicle was returned several days later, with the warning lights resolved, but told that they were uncertain as to whether it was a definitive fix. There have been no recurrences since the original incident.

- Rockville, MD, USA