5.1

2013 Mazda CX-5 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Mazda CX-5:

2013 Mazda CX-5 Owner Comments

May 232016

CX-5

In garage (thank goodness & not on road). Pushed button to start engine, it turned over but would not stay started, like not getting enough gas. Tried 5 more times to do this with same result. The kicker is, once ignition was pushed to turn on, I could not get it off so that all electrical equipment would shut down. Was told by Mazda service per call to disconnect negative battery cable......which shut everything off. Car was taken on a flat bed tow truck to dealership. Still under a certified pre owned warranty, big joke! I was told I would have to pay $110. Just to get a diagnostic to figure out the problem. Was told this am by service manager problem was a mass air flow sensor, not covered under warranty. How can that be when my extended warranty paperwork reads, ".....with no deductible on covered components." And this is an extension of the 36 thousand mile warranty, I have had this car 27. Emission recall fixed in Feb. 2016. This is costing me almost $500. I will be trading this 4 cylinder skyactiv slug asap.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Mar 022016

CX-5

The power driver's seat reclines suddenly while driving. Will go from original position to completely laid back without stopping. I can't let anyone talk sit behind me for fear of crushing their knees or legs. Also happens after exiting the vehicle. Will walk back to car to find the seat fully reclined. This happens almost every time I drive the car but especially on days when running errands and in and out of car multiple times. Car also hesitates when engine is "cold". sudden losses of power while driving. Car just seems to not want to accelerate at times.

- Lake Panasoffkee, FL, USA

Nov 292013

CX-5

I once reported my vehicle hesitating going up our driveway and the check engine light coming on. After a week at the dealership service department, the service dept. Manager ask what type of gas we used. My husband always uses ethanol free gas, but a couple of times we weren't close to a station that sold ethanol free gas, so we had to buy what we could find. We were told that using gasoline with ethanol is what is causing all the problems. He said to never use gas with ethanol in it. My husband always uses ethanol free gas, but a couple of times we weren't close to a station that sold ethanol free gas, so we had to buy what we could find. I wonder if all the complaints about stalls, lunges, etc., are due to those who have had the issues were using gas with ethanol in it? had I known that I would always have to use that type of gas in my vehicle, I would have not purchased it. I'm very unhappy about this and it is information that should have been given by the dealership selling the car. And if they didn't know that at the time because it is a new vehicle, they should give you the option to sell the vehicle back to them. I'm afraid I won't always be near a station that sell this specific type of gas, and I don't want to keep going thru this, especially when the warranty is out. It definitely needs looking into!

- Duffield, VA, USA

Oct 132012

CX-5 4-cyl

While driving vehicle on frwy, started losing power fast. As if the engine turned off. At light, traction light, stability control light and check engine light came on. Pulled to side of frwy turned car off, sat there in disbelief. I then turned the vehicle back on - only check engine light stayed on. Had power as if nothing had happen diag found code P1738, P0847. Galpin Mazda called tech line and they were told to perform a reflash to the PCM. This happen again about 2 months later. But this time all warning lights turned off after restarting. I will mention it on my next service visit.

- Palmdale, CA, USA