2014 Mazda CX-5 body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Mazda CX-5:

2014 Mazda CX-5 Owner Comments

Aug 042016

Purchased my vehicle new Jul 2013. The following problems were all reported to Mazda dealership, some reported as separate complaints, some repaired, some minimized/dismissed. 1. lift gate latch/operation does not always close properly to engage lock. Must often be slammed hard several times to close/lock, ongoing since purchase. (minimized/dismissed by dealer) 2. passenger side airbag indicator light states that the passenger seat is not occupied when it is, ongoing since purchase.(minimized/dismissed) 3. suspension. Car is easily rocked back/forth by my young children, ongoing since purchase. (minimized/dismissed) 4. passenger seat belt would not engage. Repaired, under warranty. 5. driver N passenger window clicking/popping noise. Driver side window regulator replaced, under warranty. Separate complaints filed: 6. fuel odor in cabin and leakage onto ground. Dead spots on grass, stains on driveway. Unable to locate problem, replaced sensor, under warranty. Still having intermittent problem. Under investigation by Mazda corporate. 7. rear brakes; premature uneven wear, no light indicator, inner pads wore to 1mm and outer pads wore to 4mm, rotors at 10mm. Front breaks at 8mm; unknown if uneven wear. Squealing, grinding intermittent noise began abt 35K mileage mostly while driving not breaking, and increased in noise level, duration, and occurrence at abt 40-45K miles. There is a tsb 04/005/15 but for East coast conditions. Initially dismissed, minimized, ignored by dealership. Mazda corporate paid for diagnostic but says its normal and not under warranty, 8. powertrain: The instrument panel stays on after shutting off the engine. Then car beeps when I open the door and I cannot lock it. After leaving car like this and returning to vehicle I have had to have roadside come to recharge dead battery. Told to chng key battery. No help

- Fresno, CA, USA

Feb 152016

We were driving down the interstate yesterday, February 15 during the day going about 60 mph, there wasn't anyone in front or beside us. The weather was party cloudy. There was a loud explosion and the sunroof blew out. I don't believe anything hit the sunroof to cause it to explode.

- Lavista, NE, USA

Apr 282015

The vehicle's dash started to rattle and making a crackling sound as vehicle is driven on uneven roads. This is dangerous due to the noise destructing a driver and the driver trying to locate the noise. There is many people who deal with this type of noise in this vehicle make and model and the manufacturer should be held responsible to fix the issue before it becomes a bigger problem. This issue could cause somebody to lose their live because they were distracted by the noise that is caused by a poor built.

- Steamboat Springs, CO, USA

Jan 262014

CX-5 4-cyl

Impact was on the Mazda driver's side in front of the wheel and into the car- made a left hand turn did not see the approaching vehicle traveling 50 mph and hit the rear of vehicle. That vehicle flipped over and into the snowbank over 4 lanes. Airbags in the Mazda did not deploy. Concerned as the purchase of the vehicle was for safety.

- Horsham, PA, USA

Sep 092014

CX-5 4-cyl

A very small piece of gravel hit the lower, center of the windshield. A crack started both up and down immediately. The crack curved back toward the bottom and stopped a few days later. I have never seen such poor quality glass. What would happen in an accident" the Mazda dealer said this replacement could cost up to $1200. For another cheep glass replacement"

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Oct 072014

CX-5 4-cyl

I was driving on the highway when all of a sudden I heard a pop, I looked all over the windshield and I didn't see anything. I drove for another 15 minutes and when I looked to my right I saw a 6 inch crack that started from the edge of the windshield on the passenger side. It could not have been from a pebble or impact because at the time I heard the pop there were no cars or trucks in front of me. When I took the car to the dealer a couple days later to get an oil change I asked them what they think of the crack and they said that it was from an impact as there was an impact point on the crack. That same day I took the car to a repair shop and it took them a while to look for a replacement windshield. I did some research online and apparently it has been happening a lot to other Cx-5 owners.

- Belleville, MI, USA

Jul 282014

CX-5 4-cyl

I leased a 2014 Cx-5 grand touring in April 2014. On 7/21/14 & at 1800 miles I noticed a large crack in the windshield that started from the top edge and extended down below the rear view mirror. When I inspected the windshield from the outside I could see no rock chip. On 7/25/14 I took the car to H*** body & paint and inquired about replacing the windshield. The technician there said it looked like a pretty obvious case of a stress crack & told me to take it to the dealer to see if they would fix it. That same day I took the car to the dealership & reported to the service dept that I had a crack in my windshield that wasn't from a rock chip. But the tech said he could see the rock chip right away & performed a "pen test" to show me the rock chip. He pointed the pen directly to what he said was the chip & I looked at it closely. I said, "that still doesn't look like a rock chip to me; it looks like the crack started from the top edge underneath the seal." The tech said it doesn't take much at all for a crack like that to start. I commented that Mazda must use very poor quality windshields that crack so easily from a rock chip so tiny that I can't even see it, & with only 1800 miles on it. The tech said I was welcome to get a second opinion about the rock chip but that the Mazda warranty doesn't cover glass anyways. On 7/28/14 I took the car to T***glass and inquired about replacing the windshield. They quoted me a price near $400. I said, "whoa, that's a lot of money just because of a teeny-tiny rock chip!" the tech said, "that's not a rock chip, that's a stress crack." I told him, "the dealer told me on Friday that it's from a rock chip." The tech looked at the windshield again and performed the "pen test." He came back & said, "there is no rock chip on that windshield." I contacted the dealership management & they agreed to do a "good will" replacement.

- West Valley City, UT, USA

Jul 212014

CX-5 4-cyl

Left side trim piece on the rear by the tires suddenly came off while driving over benicia bridge on a bit of wind gust. After that incident happened exited and inspected it if I hit any debris and there was no damage just came off suddenly.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jun 042014

In about one year and 12,000 miles this is the second cracked windshield I have had. This time I was driving and heard a pop. One minute later, there was a crack at the bottom of the windshield. No hits by a rock, nothing. This is an structural part of the car that is failing constantly, according to other Mazda owners and Mazda is looking the other way and denying that they have a problem. As somebody has said, it is probable that in order to save weight they made the windshield too thin, and it fails after a few months of service due to excessive stress. When you go to the dealer, they run the "pencil test", an idiotic way to test stress and they tell you that a rock hit your car.

- Saint Paul, MN, USA

Feb 122014

CX-5 4-cyl

Crack appeared in the windshield while parked overnight. Crack starts halfway up, at the driver side edge of the windshield and extends approximately 16 inches towards the middle of the windshield. When the windshield was replaced, the installer did not find any evidence that the windshield had been struck by anything.

- Marietta, OH, USA

Jun 262013

Cracked windshield on a new - 1800 miles, 2014 Cx-5 grand touring with smart city brake support system and rain sensor. A crack mysteriously appeared in the front windshield of my car, as it was parked in our driveway. The crack starts at the top center and runs straight down to the rear view mirror and then forms an "S" shape and stops beneath the mirror. As discussions grow on the Mazda forum, it is apparent that this is a problem. I wonder if this problem is due to poor factory installation and/or an overall issue with the quality of Mazda windshields. At this point, I am concerned about safety issues, especially in an accident or anything that impacts the windshield, such as a rock, with any force.

- Bethesda, MD, USA

Dec 062013

CX-5 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Mazda CX5. The contact stated that the driver's side-view mirror would vibrate excessively when driving at various speeds. Additionally, the overhead compartment would also vibrate and exhibit an abnormal shuttering noise. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 400.

- Quincy, MA, USA

May 232013

I was driving to work on I-85 southbound. I was in the left lane and there was a car in the right lane. There was a rubber tire laying in the road. I swerved to my left as far as possible to avoid hitting the rubber tire without hitting the guard rail on the left.

- Kings Mountain, NC, USA