2014 Mazda CX-5 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Mazda CX-5:

2014 Mazda CX-5 Owner Comments

Oct 112016

When car shifted to park in order to shut down engine, the vehicle often does not detect the fact the car is park when button ignition is pressed. Message appears on dash saying to shift to park although it is already in park. Requires user to move shifter out of park and then back into park order for car to register park for turning off auxillary power. If driver is not attentive to dash message or ding when exiting car power remains on and battery is drained resulting in dead battery.

- Stow, OH, USA

Aug 132015

Engine/active accessories would not shut off. After stopped and put the vehicle into the park position, and pushed the start/stop button to turn off the vehicle, it would not shut off. It sounded like the engine shut off but the accessories were active and fully engaged and beeping. I tried pushing off button several times, restarting /shutting off again, and driving to another parking stall, I had to leave my car unlocked, actively engaged with active accessories fully on in my driveway at home, in shopping centers like target, walmart, the mall, and grocery store. Each time when I returned to my vehicle acc were still on. I had to drive the car a bit and keep trying to park until it shut off. The first time this occurred wa approx July- August, 2015 and my car was still under the 36K/3yr warranty and I was told by the Mazda service advisor that it was just a low key battery and I needed to replace it. He said he did a complete diagnostic check and no problem showed up. It occurred intermittently so I believed him. Recently July 2016- Aug 2016 it actually got worse and happened approximately 5 times within one month. I changed batteries three times on two separate keys. The batteries are not the problem or answer and has not resolved the problem. I think this is might be a transmission, engine, ignition or electrical stability control; I don't know, but definitely not a low key battery prob as I was told by Mazda sevice advisor.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Jul 012016

Driving out of my driveway from park into drive it would not go anywhere after pressed on the gas pedal something going on with the transmission it's okay to go in reverse just not neutral or drive bringing it to a dealership on a flatbed being towed as it is not safe to drive. My vehicle has about 59500 miles on

- Ware, MA, USA

Apr 012016

When driving slow, such as 10-15 mph, when one steps on the accelerator, nothing happen, if this is the middle, say a left turn, one can have an accident if you can not get any power. This starts off maybe once or twice a day and gets worse TO10 or 15 incidences a day. I complained about this each time I took the car in for service. They said they could not duplicate. After almost a bad accident, I dropped the car off at the dealer and stated it is unsafe at any speed and to fix it. The recalibrated the tcm and PCM. They say it is now out of warranty and I paid a lot of money for the repair. It was trouble free for about a week and now up to its old habits and is slowly getting worse. There are other complaints on the internet from 2013. I know Mazda knows there is a problem but refuses to recognize it, so how many lives need to lost before they take responsibility for this dangerous situation. Please help!

- Surprise, AZ, USA

Apr 012016

I was traveling about 35mph up a slight incline when the engine lost power and started shaking. The traction control system, tire monitoring, and check engine light all came on at the same time. The engine didn't have any power even when I pressed all the way on the accelerator I couldn't get it to go any faster than 45mph.

- Kelso, WA, USA

Mar 042016

The instrument panel states on after shutting of the engine. The car starts beeping when you open the door and you are not able to look the car. Look like the transmission shift is not going to park completely so the battery dies every time.,

- Bellmore, NY, USA

Feb 242016

On 2/24/16 I had to have my 2014 Cx-5 towed to the dealer, because the car was suddenly not able to accelerate. I was driving on a 3 lane road, when I was stopped at a traffic light and could not accelerate. Fortunately, I was near a gas station, but if I had been on the highway driving, I would have been in a severe accident. I was informed by the dealer that the shift cellanoid in the transmission was malfunctioning and that they would have to replace the valve body. The car has only 20,695 miles on it. So I am very concerned about my safety and that of others. As you can imagine, this causes me and my family great concern. We have owned various Mazda's since 2000 and been very happy with them, but have never had to worry about the car malfunctioning while driving.

- Washington, DC, USA

Oct 082015

I purchased this vehicle in April 2015 as a new vehicle left over from 2014. Repeatedly, when decelerating, the engine continues to rev higher despite pressing the brake and keeping my foot off the gas pedal. This happens all the time and I've been told by both the dealership and Mazda that this is how the vehicle is designed. I fear the vehicle will not slow down when needed as it feels as if the engine is pushing to increase speed when I'm trying to slow down. It is extremely dangerous when the engine goes into overdrive for fast acceleration such as entering a highway and then a rapid deceleration is required such as when encountering sudden traffic. I've also noticed other issues with the electrical systems (blind spot indicators working inconsistently; hd stereo fading in and out; bad reception on strong radio stations) and I believe they are all related to a bad computer. It seems the computer needs to be replaced since it controls all aspects of the engine's operation.

- Oakland, NJ, USA

Jul 092015

While sitting at a stop sign, waiting to make a left turn onto a busy 2 lane 55 mph highway. My right foot is on the brake when the engine starts to rev up followed by a loud clunk with the car jumping forward. I thought I had been hit from behind but when I looked back there was no one in sight. I put the transmission in park and exited the car to see what had happened. No sign of anyone that could have caused it. I re entered the car and noticed the engine was stopped. I turned off the ignition and re-started the engine. All seemed normal so I continued to drive home very carefully. I am now afraid to drive this car. What if it had dumped me out on that highway?

- Aitkin, MN, USA

Dec 142014

CX-5 4-cyl

Turning into interstate entrance ramp, vehicle accelerated normally up to about 40 mph, then lost all power even though engine raced. Switched auto trans to manual mode and display was blank where it should have shown current gear. Coasted onto shoulder and shut off ignition..... after a few minutes, started engine and issue has not recurred.had noted a smell as of burning plastic for several miles prior to this incident... following day, dealer found "what looked like carpet debris wrapped around speed sensors" and removed it. They found no other problem......current mileage is 14,590 and problem has not recurred....updated 08/12/15 updated 12/23/2015

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Nov 192014

CX-5 4-cyl

I approached a traffic light, early in the morning on Nov 17, 2014; and just slowed my speed to turn right (did not make a complete stop) when I tried to accelerate my car, speed did not respond and was stuck between 10 to 30 mph. The engine was making a horrible noise, the tachometer was going crazy, got scared, so I pulled to the side of the road and shift gear to P, waited a minute and shift back to D, but car did not respond. Drove about a mile and decided to pull out and turn off my car for a few minutes an restarted fine. I took my car to the dealer the same day. They kept it for two days and said there was nothing wrong. On Feb 13, 2015 had the same problem again, but this time I was at a red light, when tried to accelerate, car did not respond stuck at 25 to 30 mph. I had to make a U turn, to be able to get to a parking lot. I parked and turned off engine, restarted the car and worked fine. I took my car to the dealer again, they kept it a few days and said there is nothing wrong. I do not feel safe driving my Mazda anymore, I was very lucky I did not have an accident the two times I had this problem! there is definitely something very wrong with the power train of this car.

- Homestead, FL, USA

Dec 122014

CX-5 4-cyl

About an hour into my commute from work, stopped at traffic light. Accelerator didn't respond after several attempts to reach full speed. Maximum speed reached 5-10 mph on a 50 mph road. Several warning lights displayed immediately and was able to safely pull over onto side road. Restarted veh and engine light remained on; accelerator responded normal and was able to get home cautiously. Veh was taken to service next day, advisor explained issue has been alerted on service bulletin. Currently waiting on transmission parts.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jul 042014

CX-5 4-cyl

On July 4, 2014, approximately 10:15 P.M., I was driving about 35 mph when the engine rpms were far above the speed I was traveling. I let off the accelerator, coasting down a hill. At the bottom of the hill was an intersection. After a brief stop for traffic, I pressed the accelerator. The engine responded and the power train or transmission did not. I moved the shift lever to neutral and back to drive; the result was the same. I then tried moving the shift lever to M for manual. The M showed but no gear was indicated. I moved the shift to neutral and had the car pushed to a parking lot. I moved the shift to reverse and the reverse worked. I moved the shift back to both drive (D) and M and again the car engine accelerated but the transmission did not engage. I shut the car off a couple of minutes. When I started the car back up, R worked, then D worked. I began to drive again and the transmission responded sluggishly at first but then started to operate normally through city and highway speeds. I took the vehicle to the dealer for service on July 5 and explained the situation. I also explained history, including from May 2014 when I took the vehicle in for service at just over 5000 miles. I explained at that time that there was one incident when I was traveling 65 mph in a 75 mph zone, with the accelerator to the floor and the car would not go faster. Another CX5 passed me on the highway even though I was traveling alone and the other vehicle had more passengers. On several occasions, I have noticed that the car engine will race beyond the speed I am going when in D for drive. Additionally, the car regularly hesitates to pick up speed when the accelerator is pressed. The dealer service department checked in May 2014 and said they found nothing and the things I was experiencing were normal for "skyactive" technology.

- Leawood, KS, USA

Feb 012014

The contact owns a 2014 Mazda CX5. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the gear shifter button failed. The button would disengage the gear shifter from drive to neutral. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for a diagnosis. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 2,500 and the current mileage was 3,000.

- Bradenton , FL, USA

Dec 232013

CX-5 4-cyl

The first incident was when I started the engine, the engine warning light and all other warning lights(sbc, ABS, etc.) came on. I called the Mazda service for an appointment several days later and I went to service for a problem, the guy who in charge told me since the engine light came off we can't do anything. So they just did change my oil and left. Second time happened with same problem, I went to my buddy(mechanic) at other car service he told me the guy told me was wrong because every car has a computer chip that records every problem. Anyway, my buddy diagnosed my Mazda Cx-5 and told me that my car has a bad or weak transmission signal that caused the engine shut off so I went to Mazda service for second time with same problem, they diagnosed and told me that it was the weak transmission signal so they had to reprogram it. On April 26, 2014, approximately 5:00am I was driving on hwy. About 60 mph and sudden all the warning lights include engine light came on but this time engine didn't shut off but transmission had no control to itself. I was so scare and all my friends who were with me got scared also because it was raining hard early morning. I had to pull over to service road then I made a completed stop but the transmission didn't start with 1st gear. It felt like it stuck on 6th gear so I had to press accelerator all the way to kick to it. This is the third time happen to me I don't feel comfortable with my Cx-5. I took it to the third time service for same problem on April 28, 2014. I've never had this kind of problem for any other cars that I've ever driven specially a brand new car. Anyone who has bought Cx-5 have same problem should make a complaint.

- College Point, NY, USA

Apr 022014

CX-5 4-cyl

On 3/31/2014 I test drove a 2014 Mazda CX5 at a nearby dealer. When coming up an onramp to a 4 lane divided highway the car lost all power. Roads were dry with good visibility. The engine was running but no power was transferred to the wheels. Pressing the accelerator had no effect. I was attempting to move out of traffic as I was almost stopped when the power returned. This was not a hesitation it was a total loss of power and had I been in nose to tail city driving I would have caused an accident. Believing that this was a defect in this particular car I bought a different CX5. The car performed flawlessly for about 60 miles, but two days later I had an incident just like the one described previously, this time on a us highway where I did have to move onto the shoulder and stop. Conditions again were as described above. This time the incident was more extended with two more less severe incidents before I arrived home. I contacted the dealer and asked them to come to pick up the car as I did not feel safe driving it. They were not able to replicate the problem and analysis showed no remarkable codes. I finally dissolved the deal feeling that I could never feel safe and secure in this vehicle. The fact that it occurred in two different vehicles was too much for me to trust this model. I purchased a different brand. If this is in fact is a transmission failure it is sure to cause an accident in the future.

- Black Rivet Falls, WI, USA

Nov 072013

While sitting at a stop light, the vehicle slammed into gear (automatic transmission) so hard that I thought that I had been rear ended. I got out and checked the vehicle as there was another vehicle behind me, but it was obvious that I had not been hit. Since this 1st incident, I have had three other incidents of this type. I reported this issue to my Mazda dealer, and the insist that I must have my foot on the accelerator while braking and this is causing the sudden slamming and attempt of the car to lurch forward. As a combat wounded veteran, I physically have to lift my right foot from the accelerator when I brake and always place it on the floor (safety minded) as I brake with my left leg/foot. I do not have my foot on the accelerator during these incidents. These 4 incidents have only occurred when I am at a stop, and waiting for a light to change. Operating environment regards temps has ranged for 70 degrees to 10 degrees (F).

- Carlisle, PA, USA

Nov 062013

CX-5 4-cyl

I was about 30 minutes in my drive on a 40-50 degree F morning. I stopped at a traffic light. When I tried to accelerate, my Cx-5 appeared to have stopped shifting gears. I was stuck in a low gear. I could get up to 20-30 mph, but my car would be struggling at 4K RPM. Luckily, I was already near my destination.

- Burke, VA, USA